New $1,200 MacBook, refreshed iPad Pro models could be announced during Apple's September ...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple will launch a refreshed entry-level MacBook next month, according to a report, with an updated model claimed will be revealed during the company's September event alongside new iPhones and other product announcements.

The new MacBook will use Intel's Kaby Lake processor, industry sources reportedly advised DigiTimes, The sources also expect the refreshed notebook to start from $1,200 for the base model, but did not advise on any potential specification changes, aside from the processor.

Claimed to be originally scheduled for a refresh in the fourth quarter of 2017, the MacBook update was apparently delayed due to Intel having issues with producing processors under a 10-nanometer process. After Intel confirmed it would wait until 2019 before mass producing the 10-nanometer processors, Apple allegedly reworked the MacBook's design to use the 14-nanometer Kaby Lake architecture, rather than put off the refresh for another year.

The report buoys rumors that Apple will be reviving its inexpensive MacBook lineup, and follows a similar report from earlier this month suggesting Apple partner Quanta would see shipments hit 10 million units in the December quarter, in part because of the new MacBooks. According to today's report, the MacBooks in question are anticipated to have a shipping volume of around 8 million units by the end of the year.

While Apple's September event is largely expected to include three new iPhones, including 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED models and a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD version with Apple Pencil support, the report also suggests other hardware that could make an appearance during the presentation.

Apple will apparently detail the launch schedule of AirPower, Apple's wireless charging mat capable of providing power to multiple devices at the same time, which is touted in the report to cost around NT$5,000 to NT$6,000 ($161 to $193).

There may also be the appearance of new iPad Pro models, with the report suggesting a refreshed 12.9-inch model could be joined by an 11-inch version, the latter of which may replace the existing 10.5-inch variant. The iPad Pros are speculated to ship with a new 18-Watt power adapter using USB Type-C, which will help speed up charging of connected devices.

Current speculation for the iPad Pro refresh points to an edge-to-edge display that switches out Touch ID for Face ID and the notch, like the iPhone X, and rounded corners for the screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    $1200 for a MacBook is obscene. Having a great operating system only goes so far if a lot of productivity can be done through the browser. A Chromebook is a much better deal for many users, since a MacBook isn’t a power computer anyway. 
    In my opinion a MacBook should start at $799 and act as an ‘onboarding laptop’ for more powerful devices if the user wants to.
    An iPad doesn’t cut it for real productivity, unless it supports a mouse and trackpad. I’ve been using an iPad in conjunction with a Bluetooth case/keyboard and it’s okay for typing but not for creating graphs and other stuff. It can’t be take care seriously as a productivity machine because of usability concerns. 
    bigpicscurtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I’d really love to have iPad Pro with no Lock Screen. 

Lock Screen didn’t make sense on iPad. We didn’t put iPad in our pocket so what Lock Screen is there for. There should be Lock Mode instead for when we travel. (like long pressing the Top Button for Lock & Unlock Mode)

Without Lock Screen, we just tap the screen to wake & it will wake to Home Screen if FaceID recognize our face, no need for a big swipe up (on iPad it will be big). This will make everything quicker & easier. 

On iPad TouchID will be inferior to FaceID. With FaceID we will never touch FaceTime camera to try to activate iPad again. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 3 of 26
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Low priced Apple products are a bad idea. Apple users are elites, and should not be diluted with low income people.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 4 of 26
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

I'm hoping the starting storage and RAM aren't so gimped that you're right up to the rMBP pricing anyways once you upgrade those.

8GB/256GB would be a decent start point.

1200USD = 1,568CAD, * 1.15 tax = $1803, just to start, ouch. Two of those things aren't in Apples control, but still, for entry level, ouch. In 2015 I had bought the 15" rMBP for 2500 all in.

This could though make sense if it's the 12" Macbook taking over the Air price slot, while the new 13" takes the 12"s current price. It wouldn't make sense for a retina 13 to be cheaper than the retina 12 otherwise. 

edited August 2018 frankeedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I wouldn’t call this an Inexpensive” line. It’s a less expensive line than the Macbook Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    matrix077 said:
    I’d really love to have iPad Pro with no Lock Screen. 

Lock Screen didn’t make sense on iPad. We didn’t put iPad in our pocket so what Lock Screen is there for. There should be Lock Mode instead for when we travel. (like long pressing the Top Button for Lock & Unlock Mode)

Without Lock Screen, we just tap the screen to wake & it will wake to Home Screen if FaceID recognize our face, no need for a big swipe up (on iPad it will be big). This will make everything quicker & easier. 

On iPad TouchID will be inferior to FaceID. With FaceID we will never touch FaceTime camera to try to activate iPad again. 
    I don’t understand your adversion to the lock screen.
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichchiafrankeedpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    nunzy said:
    Low priced Apple products are a bad idea. Apple users are elites, and should not be diluted with low income people.
    Although your comment is dripping with sarcasm, I have to agree. Apple users should feel as being part of the elite. As long as Apple makes an excellent product where it's not constantly thermal-throttling and the keyboard works longer than a few weeks, I'm willing to be part of that elite. Let the poor people buy Lenovo, HP, or Dell and be happy running Windows OS. It's up to the consumer how much they're willing to pay for a product so I have no problem with Apple charging more as long as the product is actually worth the extra cost. I don't want to pay more for a product that is full of easily corrected flaws.
    nunzyracerhomie3bigpics
  • Reply 8 of 26
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    I think Ben Lovejoy, over at 9to5mac, might be pretty close with his prediction:

"So here’s what might happen:
    • Apple finally kills the MacBook Air
    • The entry-level 12-inch MacBook price falls to $999
    • The rumored new 13-inch machine comes in at $1199"

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/17/2018-macbook-opinion/
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingamcaladanianwatto_cobrapotatoman
  • Reply 9 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    As usual, DigiTimes means, “Please ignore the following”.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I think Ben Lovejoy, over at 9to5mac, might be pretty close with his prediction:

"So here’s what might happen:
    • Apple finally kills the MacBook Air
    • The entry-level 12-inch MacBook price falls to $999
    • The rumored new 13-inch machine comes in at $1199"

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/17/2018-macbook-opinion/

Yeah that's the only way I see the line making sense. The 13" retina being cheaper than the 12" retina made no sense. 

Air goes away, 
    12" takes Air price slot 
    13" takes 12" price slot 

Line makes sense again. 
    edited August 2018 caladanianwatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 11 of 26
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Apple users are elites. They’re the intellectual elite that thinks differently and doesn’t slavishly buy Microsoft products. It’s an elitism of free thought, appreciation of good design and guaranteed build quality. It’s not an elitism of money; though of course good design and quality control all cost.
    So cheaper Apple products, so long as they uphold the company’s core principles are fine with me. 👍🏻

As regards this refresh.
    The original 11” MacBook Air was considered unsuitable for many as it originally just contained a single USB port. It’s popularity exploded when Apple added more ports, ultimately it had 2 x USB 3’s and a Thunderbolt 2...
    Perhaps if this refresh adds more ports to the MacBook we’ll see a similar increase in sales  🤔
    nunzyracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    tipoo said:

I'm hoping the starting storage and RAM aren't so gimped that you're right up to the rMBP pricing anyways once you upgrade those.

I believe 8gb/256gb has been the base for the retina MacBook since it's introduction. I have a base 2015 (the first year it was introduced) and it has 8/256.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple will apparently detail the launch schedule of AirPower, Apple's wireless charging mat capable of providing power to multiple devices at the same time, which is touted in the report to cost around NT$5,000 to NT$6,000 ($161 to $193). 
    “Available H1 2019”
    A Chromebook is a much better deal for many users
    Explain what type of user does not need the human right of privacy.
    pscooter63racerhomie3watto_cobrapvonk
  • Reply 14 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    $1200 for a MacBook is obscene. Having a great operating system only goes so far if a lot of productivity can be done through the browser. A Chromebook is a much better deal for many users, since a MacBook isn’t a power computer anyway. 

In my opinion a MacBook should start at $799 and act as an ‘onboarding laptop’ for more powerful devices if the user wants to.
    If MBs were $800 you’d be whining about how low spec’d they were. 

Chromebooks are lame. Web apps compared to real, native apps are lame. I don’t know a single person who chose to buy a Chromebook instead of a quality Mac. Have fun with that....Send pics. 
    edited August 2018 pscooter63racerhomie3watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 15 of 26
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Lets see, My MacBook Pro is now 5 years old. Does everything I need it to do and is running the most current operating system and productivity suite, updated at least annually without an extra charge. Honestly think I will get several more years out of this machine before it runs out of juice. I think I got a very good deal even though it seemed expensive out of the gate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    tipoo said:

I believe 8gb/256gb has been the base for the retina MacBook since it's introduction. I have a base 2015 (the first year it was introduced) and it has 8/256.

They did however introduce a "cheaper" 13" rMBP by stripping down the SSD to 128GB, 200 dollars cheaper and 200 dollars to get it back up to 256GB. 
  • Reply 17 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Claimed to be originally scheduled for a refresh in the fourth quarter of 2017, the MacBook update was apparently delayed due to Intel having issues with producing processors under a 10-nanometer process. After Intel confirmed it would wait until 2019 before mass producing the 10-nanometer processors, Apple allegedly reworked the MacBook's design to use the 14-nanometer Kaby Lake architecture, rather than put off the refresh for another year. 

Eh? The 2017 MacBook uses Kaby Lake processors. There’s a supposed Amber Lake Y series processor that may or may not be an evolved Kaby Lake Y series, or maybe it’s just an ULV Coffee Lake, who knows. But the current shipping MacBook uses Kaby Lake processors.

Like everyone else, I just hope Apple aligns to:

$1000 12” 5W, 2 TB3 ports
    $1300 13”, 15W, 2 TB3 ports
    $1800 13”, 28W, 4 TB3 ports
    $2300 15”, 45W, 4 TB3 ports

Halfway done. The bottom can be met with 1 branded lineup with 2 display sizes. The price tiers could stand to be $100 to $200 cheaper, but Apple usually justifies that with great design and service.
    watto_cobrapotatoman
  • Reply 18 of 26
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    jdgaz said:
    Lets see, My MacBook Pro is now 5 years old. Does everything I need it to do and is running the most current operating system and productivity suite, updated at least annually without an extra charge. Honestly think I will get several more years out of this machine before it runs out of juice. I think I got a very good deal even though it seemed expensive out of the gate.
    I had used my previous MBP for 7.5 years for work before buying a new (refurb) 13” MBP this year. I did upgrade the HDD to SSD at year 5.  The older machine will be used by my kids for hopefully a few more years.  It is more robust than my home appliances...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Apple needs to simplify their line.  $1200 is not inexpensive.  It is just a little less than the MBP starting point.  After many years of introducing the form factor and retina screens, the cost premiums to Apple should be minor. 

Get rid of the MB Air and just have the MacBook as the consumer line.  12” should go down to start at $1099 (or even $999 would be the sweet spot, as most would upgrade storage or RAM in some manner, but I don’t see Apple doing that).  

The consumer line could be 12” and 14”, while the MBP is 13 and 15. 
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Will Apple really lower the price of the 12”?  They didn’t lower the non-touchbar MBP last month, right? And that’s last gen CPU. If the upcoming 13” is a Retina display for $1200 I imagine it’ll be 128GB base model. But yea, I’d much rather they lower the 12” to $1000.