Sony deal brings 23 more Prince albums to Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
An avalanche of Prince albums is hitting Apple Music this week, thanks to a June agreement between Sony's Legacy Recordings and the estate of the late pop and funk musician.

Prince

Mosf of the records were originally released between 1995 and 2010, such as "The Gold Experience," "Emancipation," and "Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic." The one exception is in fact a new compilation, simply called "Prince Anthology 1995-2010."

Sony will have to wait until 2021 to gain the U.S. distribution rights for some of Prince's best-known work, such as "Controversy" and "1999," Variety noted on Friday. Warner Bros. Records -- Prince's original label -- will continue to hold onto his soundtrack albums, such as "Batman" and his most famous work, "Purple Rain."

Prince died of a drug overdose in 2016. While he was alive, the musician was notoriously opposed to having his music on streaming services, which meant that for a stretch just a handful tracks were available on platforms like Apple Music and Spotify.

That changed early last year, when Warner brought its share of Prince's discography to the streaming world. The Prince estate has also reportedly been shopping around unseen film footage to companies like Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Anybody who wants can already download his entire discography.

What other major artists are unavailable to stream? Isn't the ability to listen to everything you want the whole point of making monthly payments?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I’d say nearly all of his discography is on streaming now. But for some reason The Most Beautiful Girl In The World is not. Odd as it was one of his bigger hits.
    claire1
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    nunzy said:
    Anybody who wants can already download his entire discography.

What other major artists are unavailable to stream? Isn't the ability to listen to everything you want the whole point of making monthly payments?
    It seems like if you want it, it's probably on Apple Music, Spotify, or Pandora - but sometimes artists, labels, or what have you have specific objections, especially since streaming doesn't pay that well even on Apple Music. Sometimes "minor" albums are missing for similar reasons - I have a hundreds or thousands of tracks in my local iTunes library that never saw widespread release.
    nunzy
  • Reply 4 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    An unusual amount of criticism of his music on the iTunes page for this new collection:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/anthology-1995-2010/1421530791

(Partial clipping)

Few artists have created a body of work as rich and varied as Prince. During the '80s, he emerged as one of the most singular talents of the rock & roll era, capable of seamlessly tying together pop, funk, folk, and rock. Not only did he release a series of groundbreaking albums; he toured frequently, produced albums, wrote songs for many other artists, and recorded hundreds of songs that still lie unreleased in his vaults. With each album he released, Prince showed remarkable stylistic growth and musical diversity, constantly experimenting with different sounds, textures, and genres. Occasionally, his music was inconsistent, in part because of his eclecticism, but his experiments frequently succeeded; no other contemporary artist blended so many diverse styles into a cohesive whole. 

Prince's first two albums were solid, if unremarkable, late-'70s funk-pop. With 1980's Dirty Mind, he recorded his first masterpiece, a one-man tour de force of sex and music; it was hard funk, catchy Beatlesque melodies, sweet soul ballads, and rocking guitar pop, all at once. The follow-up, Controversy, was more of the same, but 1999 was brilliant. The album was a monster hit, selling over three million copies, but it was nothing compared to 1984's Purple Rain.

Purple Rain made Prince a superstar; it eventually sold over ten million copies in the U.S. and spent 24 weeks at number one. Partially recorded with his touring band, the Revolution, the record featured the most pop-oriented music he has ever made. Instead of continuing in this accessible direction, he veered off into the bizarre psycho-psychedelia of Around the World in a Day, which nevertheless sold over two million copies. In 1986, he released the even stranger Parade, which was in its own way as ambitious and intricate as any art rock of the '60s; however, no art rock was ever grounded with a hit as brilliant as the spare funk of "Kiss."

By 1987, Prince's ambitions were growing by leaps and bounds, resulting in the sprawling masterpiece Sign 'O' the Times. Prince was set to release the hard funk of The Black Album by the end of the year, but he withdrew it just before its release, deciding it was too dark and immoral. Instead, he released the confused Lovesexy in 1988, which was a commercial disaster. With the soundtrack to 1989's Batman he returned to the top of the charts, even if the album was essentially a recap of everything he had done before. The following year he released Graffiti Bridge (the sequel to Purple Rain), which turned out to be a considerable commercial disappointment.

edited August 2018
  • Reply 5 of 15
    An unusual amount of criticism of his music on the iTunes page for this new collection:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/anthology-1995-2010/1421530791

(Partial clipping)

Few artists have created a body of work as rich and varied as Prince. During the '80s, he emerged as one of the most singular talents of the rock & roll era, capable of seamlessly tying together pop, funk, folk, and rock. Not only did he release a series of groundbreaking albums; he toured frequently, produced albums, wrote songs for many other artists, and recorded hundreds of songs that still lie unreleased in his vaults. With each album he released, Prince showed remarkable stylistic growth and musical diversity, constantly experimenting with different sounds, textures, and genres. Occasionally, his music was inconsistent, in part because of his eclecticism, but his experiments frequently succeeded; no other contemporary artist blended so many diverse styles into a cohesive whole. 

Prince's first two albums were solid, if unremarkable, late-'70s funk-pop. With 1980's Dirty Mind, he recorded his first masterpiece, a one-man tour de force of sex and music; it was hard funk, catchy Beatlesque melodies, sweet soul ballads, and rocking guitar pop, all at once. The follow-up, Controversy, was more of the same, but 1999 was brilliant. The album was a monster hit, selling over three million copies, but it was nothing compared to 1984's Purple Rain.

Purple Rain made Prince a superstar; it eventually sold over ten million copies in the U.S. and spent 24 weeks at number one. Partially recorded with his touring band, the Revolution, the record featured the most pop-oriented music he has ever made. Instead of continuing in this accessible direction, he veered off into the bizarre psycho-psychedelia of Around the World in a Day, which nevertheless sold over two million copies. In 1986, he released the even stranger Parade, which was in its own way as ambitious and intricate as any art rock of the '60s; however, no art rock was ever grounded with a hit as brilliant as the spare funk of "Kiss."

By 1987, Prince's ambitions were growing by leaps and bounds, resulting in the sprawling masterpiece Sign 'O' the Times. Prince was set to release the hard funk of The Black Album by the end of the year, but he withdrew it just before its release, deciding it was too dark and immoral. Instead, he released the confused Lovesexy in 1988, which was a commercial disaster. With the soundtrack to 1989's Batman he returned to the top of the charts, even if the album was essentially a recap of everything he had done before. The following year he released Graffiti Bridge (the sequel to Purple Rain), which turned out to be a considerable commercial disappointment.

WTF is that??? I thought these notes were usually non-opinion, fact based.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I think we can all agree that his music was inconsistent, however yes the comments are a somewhat opinionated. 
    SpamSandwichspheric
  • Reply 7 of 15
    hentaiboy said:
    I think we can all agree that his music was inconsistent, however … 
    I don’t consider his music the least inconsistent. We are talking about a true musical artist here, who experimented along almost all known musical genres. And like most artistic geniuses, his music evolved away from the mainstream. He cared more about creating his own music than selling music to the masses. And often only die-hard fans were able to follow his musical pathways. But inconsistent …I think not.

Really happy to see all of these added Prince songs on Apple Music, although I’ve of course enjoyed them for years already in my private collection.

(@Rogifan, always digged your icon)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I’d say nearly all of his discography is on streaming now. But for some reason The Most Beautiful Girl In The World is not. Odd as it was one of his bigger hits.
    That’s on „The Gold Experience“.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hentaiboy said:
    I don’t consider his music the least inconsistent. We are talking about a true musical artist here, who experimented along almost all known musical genres. And like most artistic geniuses, his music evolved away from the mainstream. He cared more about creating his own music than selling music to the masses. And often only die-hard fans were able to follow his musical pathways. But inconsistent …I think not.

Really happy to see all of these added Prince songs on Apple Music, although I’ve of course enjoyed them for years already in my private collection.

I really, really love Prince. 

But you must be one of the three people who made it through the entire „Crystal Ball“ set back in 1997. He really lost me there for a while. 

And then „Musicology“ came out. I had to pick my jaw out from between the seat cushions. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Mayte is believed to hold the key to this. Given as a love token to her on Valentine’s 1994. Sealed under a special label as a first independent release in his new persona  O+>
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Mayte is believed to hold the key to this. Given as a love token to her on Valentine’s 1994. Sealed under a special label as a first independent release in his new persona  O+>
    But that is a track on "The Gold Experience", which is part of this new distribution deal. 

Although that version is slightly different from the single that was released through the NPG/Edel deal. 
  • Reply 12 of 15

spheric said:
    hentaiboy said:

I really, really love Prince. 

But you must be one of the three people who made it through the entire „Crystal Ball“ set back in 1997. He really lost me there for a while. 

And then „Musicology“ came out. I had to pick my jaw out from between the seat cushions. 
    He, he  …yeah, maybe. But bear in mind that Crystal Ball, as released then, was a compilation done many years after the original project and they didn’t have much in common. Prince often wanted to move on as soon as he was done with a particular project. He rather burried unreleased songs in the Vault than release them later in an unrelated context.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    spheric said:
    But that is a track on "The Gold Experience", which is part of this new distribution deal. 

Although that version is slightly different from the single that was released through the NPG/Edel deal. 
    It’s grayed out in iTunes/Apple Music.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    spheric said:

In a good way, or a bad way?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    spheric said:

In a good way, or a bad way?
    Except for one or two songs, it's utterly awesome.