Group FaceTime is only the latest of many Apple technologies to be delayed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    It almost never pays to provide a hard delivery date for complex consumer electronics items.
    So true. Might as well stick to quarterly release dates so people don't get so bent out of shape if something gets delayed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    jcc said:
    The real issue is that Steve knew how to under-promise and over-deliver whereas Cook is the exact opposite. Noticed that in the old days Steve kept the entire product pipeline a secret? They don't tell you jack until they're ready to release it. Now, Cook just likes to shoot off his mouth before the products are anywhere ready. That's why we're seeing all these delays. I mean it's been almost a year when they talked about releasing the wireless charger pad. Steve would have waiting until this year to announce and release. See the difference????
    You're so full of it, it's ridiculous.

You mean to tell us we know everything that's in the pipeline? We don't even know the products that are releasing next month!
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMacRayz2016
  • Reply 23 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    claire1 said:
    You're so full of it, it's ridiculous.
    If he was wrong, you’d have an actual argument.
    You mean to tell us we know everything that's in the pipeline? We don't even know the products that are releasing next month!
    iPhone XI and iPhone 9.

Products NOT being released:
    Mac Pro:
    announced two years ago, leaving existing models to languish on shelves (psyche: no one even bothers to carry them anymore, so none are likely being sold anywhere)
    Mac Mini: no announcement, no evidence they give a shit about it in any capacity, and the fastest model is SIX YEARS OLD, while the newest model is FIVE YEARS OLD.
    Standalone display: see Mac Pro.
    New Wi-Fi gear: AirPort is dead, so Apple doesn’t even care about having a product ecosystem anymore.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

― Yogi Berra
    GeorgeBMacpscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 37
    adamc said:
    When Apple is late with a software or product the pundits whine and when the software or product is buggy the pundits whine, just can’t please these folks.
    You're missing the third option; they release good software/products on time.  Maybe that's what the 'pundits' are looking for and expect from a $1T company.  Why shouldn't they?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    adamc said:
    When Apple is late with a software or product the pundits whine and when the software or product is buggy the pundits whine, just can’t please these folks.
    And, when it's neither late nor buggy, they find something to whine about anyway...
  • Reply 27 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jcc said:
    The real issue is that Steve knew how to under-promise and over-deliver whereas Cook is the exact opposite. Noticed that in the old days Steve kept the entire product pipeline a secret? They don't tell you jack until they're ready to release it. Now, Cook just likes to shoot off his mouth before the products are anywhere ready. That's why we're seeing all these delays. I mean it's been almost a year when they talked about releasing the wireless charger pad. Steve would have waiting until this year to announce and release. See the difference????
    3Ghz.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

lkrupp said:
    No one is arguing Apple should release buggy software or hardware. But in the case of AirPower, why announce the product when it clearly was nowhere near ready to ship? When other companies do this people don’t pat them on the back for taking the time to get it right, they call it vaporware.
    One rule of manufacturing, sales and marketing often write checks that engineering can’t cash. Jobs would kite those checks or let them bounce if he had to to get the damn thing out the door and fix it later. Just because it upsets the freaks that want everything yesterday.

I get the sense Cook & Co. are feeing more and more pressure to release new stuff so we end up with things that aren’t fully baked at launch. Like Apple Watch and 3rd party apps or HomePod and Siri
    So the original iPhone was perfect when it arrived, correct? The original Apple Laserwriter (the first personal laser printer) was fully baked at launch? The original iPad? Etc, etc...

There's always the pressure to release something new, even when Steve Jobs was CEO and there were times when things were delayed time and time again and it wasn't always the greatest when it was released. There were times of complete silence with new/updated products. I'm guessing some didn't catch on to Apple until Tim's era as CEO because there are so many out there today that think the Jobs era was just wonderful because all we see are the 1 or 2 great MacWorld Keynotes over and over again. 

But, Apple can at least get good shit out the door and keep improving it, but what's important is, they got the correct stuff working pretty amazing before it was out the door. HomePod is a classic example of this. HomePod in itself works really really well because it's obvious that they put all, or most of their eggs into the hardware basket and in my opinion, thats exactly what they should have done before shipping. You can't go back into someone house and put a better sound system inside it after its shipped, however you CAN release software updates to make the software better as many times as necessary. Its not "easy", but thats the easier stuff to fix. It's just a matter of time. 
  • Reply 29 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

jcc said:

Oh please, don't give me this "Steve would have done this" shit. It's not like Steve NEVER said anything about future products. Jesus Christ its right in the article with a video as proof of that! LOL  I cannot stand people like you who do this Steve would have never done that, Steve would have done it this way if he were here. Well Steve isn't fucking here so what difference does it make?! The Steve way wasn't always the right way. 

And also...So I don't want to hear a peep out of you when Apple doesn't release something for 6 months. You know damn well they're working on something, but if they don't say anything we don't want to hear it if you want to bitch and complain because Apple's not releasing something or saying something to give a hint that they are in fact working on something. 

Either way, Apple is damned if they do and damned if they don't. 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    macxpress said:

jcc said:

Oh please, don't give me this "Steve would have done this" shit. It's not like Steve NEVER said anything about future products. Jesus Christ its right in the article with a video as proof of that! LOL  I cannot stand people like you who do this Steve would have never done that, Steve would have done it this way if he were here. Well Steve isn't fucking here so what difference does it make?! The Steve way wasn't always the right way. 

And also...So I don't want to hear a peep out of you when Apple doesn't release something for 6 months. You know damn well they're working on something, but if they don't say anything we don't want to hear it if you want to bitch and complain because Apple's not releasing something or saying something to give a hint that they are in fact working on something. 

It's not just in the article, its in the third paragraph.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    crowley said:
    3Ghz.
    A better analogy is Apple announcing the iPhone in 2005 when they began development and then not shipping until MacWorld 2007. You know, something they actually had control over, like everything happening (failing to happen) today.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    nunzy said:
    Apple won't release any product or service before it is fully baked.

Never have, never will.
    Except when they have.  (Maps was already mentioned above... their various early forays into "the cloud" were questionable at best... I'll let others add to the list for you. :) )
  • Reply 33 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    nunzy said:
    Apple won't release any product or service before it is fully baked.

Never have, never will.
    Except when they have.  (Maps was already mentioned above... their various early forays into "the cloud" were questionable at best... I'll let others add to the list for you. :) )
    OS X no less! That was a real biggie.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:
    No one is arguing Apple should release buggy software or hardware. But in the case of AirPower, why announce the product when it clearly was nowhere near ready to ship? When other companies do this people don’t pat them on the back for taking the time to get it right, they call it vaporware.
    One rule of manufacturing, sales and marketing often write checks that engineering can’t cash. Jobs would kite those checks or let them bounce if he had to to get the damn thing out the door and fix it later. Just because it upsets the freaks that want everything yesterday.

I get the sense Cook & Co. are feeing more and more pressure to release new stuff so we end up with things that aren’t fully baked at launch. Like Apple Watch and 3rd party apps or HomePod and Siri
    So the original iPhone was perfect when it arrived, correct? The original Apple Laserwriter (the first personal laser printer) was fully baked at launch? The original iPad? Etc, etc...

There's always the pressure to release something new, even when Steve Jobs was CEO and there were times when things were delayed time and time again and it wasn't always the greatest when it was released. There were times of complete silence with new/updated products. I'm guessing some didn't catch on to Apple until Tim's era as CEO because there are so many out there today that think the Jobs era was just wonderful because all we see are the 1 or 2 great MacWorld Keynotes over and over again. 

But, Apple can at least get good shit out the door and keep improving it, but what's important is, they got the correct stuff working pretty amazing before it was out the door. HomePod is a classic example of this. HomePod in itself works really really well because it's obvious that they put all, or most of their eggs into the hardware basket and in my opinion, thats exactly what they should have done before shipping. You can't go back into someone house and put a better sound system inside it after its shipped, however you CAN release software updates to make the software better as many times as necessary. Its not "easy", but thats the easier stuff to fix. It's just a matter of time. 
    I knew someone would mention the original iPhone. I never said perfect. And what I mentioned about the Watch and HomePod were capabilities it had at launch that it didn’t do well. Which I contend is because of more pressure than back in the Steve days. My god in 2013 there were rumors claiming the board was ready to fire Tim Cook because of fears Apple was failing to innovate quick enough. Some clown investor was out there saying if Apple didn’t release an ‘iWatch’ within 60 days it was all over for the company. And before HomePod every article under the sun was about Apple losing the ML/AI/Voice Assistant race to Google and Amazon. I don’t care how much Cook & Co. try to block out the noise it’s impossible for it to not have some effect.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macxpress said:

jcc said:

It’s pathetic isn’t it: people who invoke the spirit of “Steve” like they actually knew him. 

Its sad beyond belief, especially when it’s done to lend weight to baseless argument. 

“Steve would never have let the Mac languish like this!”

This would be the same Steve who said that Apple should milk the Mac for all its worth then move on to the next big thing. 

Well here’s one for the worshippers of the departed: if Steve were here, the Mac would’ve been canned five years ago. 

edited August 2018
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    And here we have yet another article that will be regurgitated and floated back to the top of the front page again and again. 

Oh good. 

Seems to becoming a favourite tactic with AI lately. But at least the “feature” tag makes it easy to spot. 

This would never happen if IT Journalism was still alive …

• Reply 37 of 37
    Rayz2016 said:
    This would never happen if IT Journalism was still alive …
    Regular journalism was killed a century ago, but the corpse rose up and we’re trying to figure out how to blow its brains out and burn it this time. Until that particular zombie is finally finished off, there’s no way that the digital equivalent is going to be changed (fixed, exterminated, whatever you need) either.