A year with Apple's 5K iMac: Still the best Mac for your money

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    AI, I appreciate the video and graphics benchmarks that you perform on various machines, and would love a Logic benchmark once in awhile. How many instances of Sculpture can they run before the cpu quits, or how fast can it bounce 24 tracks of audio with a ton of effect sends and so forth. 
    I know there are dedicated sites for that sort of thing, but still. 

Regards
    pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    mike54 said:
    I'm waiting for a reasonably priced and spec'd headless mac. I will not buy an all-in one, especially these iMac's as they have serious thermal limitations.
    Is your last name Godot?

'Cos I imagine your wait is gonna be interminable. 
    kingofsomewherehotwatto_cobrabaconstangfrankeedelijahg
  • Reply 23 of 46
    backstab said:
    My only wish for the iMac is, that they would increase the screen size. Something like, 24" and 30".
    21" is just too small for a desktop. And while 27" is too big for the needs of users like me, I'm sure pros who really need a bigger screen would do well with a move to 30"

With the Thunderbolt ports why not go to a larger external monitor or does the speed/color accuracy/etc... get lost by going to an external?
    Before the iMacs I always had 2-3 monitors (granted that was many years ago) but the extra real estate was wonderful for both video and especially development. This is the only place I have really found the iMacs of the past lacking (er uh... well upgradeability/service of course).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    JanNL said:
    cp- said:

The iMac 5K is the only new Mac that allows you to easily add third-party RAM. Taking advantage of this, we added another 32 gigabytes, and now it is equipped with 40 gigabytes [...]
    Did it come with one single 8gb stick and you added another 2x16gb still leaving one slot free? o.O A bit unusual since I'm used to getting stock configurations with multiple sticks of lower capacity (as they are cheaper) than less sticks of higher capacity.
    Always install(ed) in pairs, so it probably came with 2x4GB and two free slots. Filling the two free slots with 2x16GB makes 40GB total.
    The RAM is designed to be optimal when pulled from two slots (a bank) in lieu of a single stick which works but typically adds a penalty of about 10% or since it takes to serial grabs instead of a parallel grab from to slots (a single bank). If not upgraded before I move the smaller to the upper pair and the new pair to the lower bank.

P.S. I get the style and aesthetics but I would not mind a slightly thicker iMac (edge and bulge) if it allowed for better thermal performance and easier user upgrade (mind you and don't want a Mac II with a Monitor shaped on the front. /s
     ;) 

cgWerks
  • Reply 25 of 46
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    lkrupp said:
    I am still praying for a new Mac Mini.
    Mr Tim & Jony ,please grant our wish for a new Mac Mini with a SSD option.
    If anything the Mac Mini should be discontinued. It has never been very Apple like in design. It’s downright ugly. It was brought out because of all the whining about a cheaper headless Mac from the few who don’t like all-in-ones. The Mini has never sold very well because its market is limited to a tiny minority of Mac users. That kind of market is best left to the cheap PCs you can buy at Walmart for $400. I hope Apple kills this abomination once and for all. 
    And you would be wrong. The MacMini is (was) a fantastic work machine as a small server. Trying to fit three or four iMacs in a rack is a bit silly. My home also has repurposed Mini’s where an iMac would never work.

In my opinion I think the iMac is the most ridiculous (limited) product Apple sells but to each their own...
    williamlondonfrankeedelijahgcgWerkspscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 46
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    backstab said:
    My only wish for the iMac is, that they would increase the screen size. Something like, 24" and 30".
    21" is just too small for a desktop. And while 27" is too big for the needs of users like me, I'm sure pros who really need a bigger screen would do well with a move to 30"

With the Thunderbolt ports why not go to a larger external monitor or does the speed/color accuracy/etc... get lost by going to an external?
    Before the iMacs I always had 2-3 monitors (granted that was many years ago) but the extra real estate was wonderful for both video and especially development. This is the only place I have really found the iMacs of the past lacking (er uh... well upgradeability/service of course).
    I run a 40"4K30 off iMac, mbp and mini using mDP and really like it...
    I did need Quickshade for brightness adjustment,
    and the color is not matched, adjustable manually.
    The Apple TV that never was...?
    I believe there may be color matched options from LG in various sizes and formats?
    baconstang
  • Reply 27 of 46
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I'm hoping the next update abandons the space used for the spinning hard drive so that it can be all flash, as well as fit the dual blower cooler from the iMac Pro. 
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 28 of 46
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I have a serious question:

"I personally prefer using Google Chrome as a browser, and even with 40GB of RAM, the fans can sometimes kick up really loud when I'm researching and opening a bunch of tabs at once."

I find Chrome to be big, slow, battery hungry program with no tangible 
    benefits over Safari. When I launch Chrome (basic install, no add ons) on my iMac Pro, it takes about 5 seconds (VS about .2 seconds for Safari). I don't see the appeal.

What is it people like about Chrome?
    lamboaudi4baconstangfrankeedelijahgpscooter63p-dog
  • Reply 29 of 46
    The iMac seems to be a great position for Apples #1 selling desktop machine, but there should still be non all in 1 macs available, whether that be the Mac mini, and the Mac Pro, I imagine if they put the mini and Pro in the same case when they update them( and if) that they would both sell a lot closer to the iMac.
    williamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 30 of 46
    My 2017 5K iMac has been great. I went for the low-end model since the single core and multicore scores were still better than my old eight core 2009 Mac Pro and the GPU score was waaaaaay better. Plenty of power for a really good price, especially with the AppleInsider discount applied. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    eightzero said:
    macxpress said:

eightzero said:
    I've been using iMacs since...well...i upgraded from a Starmax clone. I had a Duo230, and a string of Performas, but iMacs since then. Im gonna have to rethink it when the time comes. A $3000 iMac? Uhh...no.

I'm seeing really nice 4k displays for under $500. I may go with a MacMini if it gets updated and will drive a 4k display. Or make replace my MBA with a MacBook and use it in clamshell mode. Will just need to see what is available when the time comes. My needs are modest, as I do no graphics work. Kinda sad to see the iMac simply not meet my needs at an affordable price.

You do know the 27" 5K iMac starts at $1650 on B&H, not $3,000 as you suggest and if your needs are modest then thats all you need. If you can settle for any kind of Mac mini or MacBook Air replacement then you can settle for the lowest end 27" iMac which will also allow you to add RAM later on if that's a concern whereas the other Macs do not. 
    You know, this is fair. But the monitor/display should last for a long long time. Maybe it is time to separate the two, and then upgrades/ replacements are more tenable. I guess I've just gotten to the end of the iMac being my only choice.

I really did like that Duo. I wore it out. 3 new replacement keyboards, and one logic board. I only had it for like 5 years, but it seems like it was forever. I guess you never forget your first mac. 
    The display will last you a very long time and by the time you want a different display it will be time to update the computer anyways so you'd end up buying a new display anyways. I don't really see the big deal here. There's no reason why you can't get at least 5yrs out of a current gen 27" 5K iMac, especially with your modest needs as you put them. 
    baconstangwatto_cobraelijahg
  • Reply 32 of 46
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    lkrupp said:
    The Mini has never sold very well because its market is limited to a tiny minority of Mac users.
    Since Apple is not in the habit of releasing sales figures on individual Macs, do you have inside info or did you pull that out of your backside?

I happen to know a lot of people who use Mac minis and they have held off upgrading after Apple castrated the line with vampire video, soldered in chipsets and closed the memory expansion slot. That and killed off the Quad Core CPU. They also hurt it’s use as a HTPC when they dropped Front Row hoping to sell everyone an Apple TV.

Then there is the eternal issue of Apple not spending a red cent on advertising or marketing the Mac line.

I hate all in ones as much as you apparently hate the mini and have no interest in buying an iMac at any price. Since they came out with the trashcan (not Pro) Apple says you can have any up to date Mac you want as long as it is a laptop or an iMac. Well laptops suck as desktops since Jony likes them so thin.

Apple needs at least one Mac that users can configure with standard cards and memory that is not an iMac and is not a styling exercise that ruins performance for the sake of fashion. To be honest, I do not care how thin the bezel is on my iPhone or iPad or how skinny my a MacBook Pro happens to be. I would rather ports than a skinny edge and cooling over unnecessary thinness. I see Macs as the tools they are- not as a styling exercise or fashion statement.

In the terms once used by Steve Jobs- a Truck. Not a Mazda Miata or Hyundai Veloster - an off road capable truck with rubber floor mats and drain plugs so you can hose it down when done.
    frankeedbaconstangelijahgcgWerks
  • Reply 33 of 46
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    macxpress said:
    eightzero said:
    macxpress said:

eightzero said:
    I've been using iMacs since...well...i upgraded from a Starmax clone. I had a Duo230, and a string of Performas, but iMacs since then. Im gonna have to rethink it when the time comes. A $3000 iMac? Uhh...no.

I'm seeing really nice 4k displays for under $500. I may go with a MacMini if it gets updated and will drive a 4k display. Or make replace my MBA with a MacBook and use it in clamshell mode. Will just need to see what is available when the time comes. My needs are modest, as I do no graphics work. Kinda sad to see the iMac simply not meet my needs at an affordable price.

You do know the 27" 5K iMac starts at $1650 on B&H, not $3,000 as you suggest and if your needs are modest then thats all you need. If you can settle for any kind of Mac mini or MacBook Air replacement then you can settle for the lowest end 27" iMac which will also allow you to add RAM later on if that's a concern whereas the other Macs do not. 
    You know, this is fair. But the monitor/display should last for a long long time. Maybe it is time to separate the two, and then upgrades/ replacements are more tenable. I guess I've just gotten to the end of the iMac being my only choice.

I really did like that Duo. I wore it out. 3 new replacement keyboards, and one logic board. I only had it for like 5 years, but it seems like it was forever. I guess you never forget your first mac. 
    The display will last you a very long time and by the time you want a different display it will be time to update the computer anyways so you'd end up buying a new display anyways. I don't really see the big deal here. There's no reason why you can't get at least 5yrs out of a current gen 27" 5K iMac, especially with your modest needs as you put them. 
    That's just it - i won't need a new display, just the computer part. How much better can a display get? 

My current iMac is a late 2009 27" version. I replaced the HD, and it is still going strong. But...it is now frozen in time with High Sierra, as it won't support Mojave. That's fine - there actually isn't anything in Mojave I must have. And I am most definitely not complaining about a desktop computer that meets my needs for nearly 10 years now. 

My wife has been an iMac user for about as long as I have. I got her a 2015 21.5" a few months ago (like $600?), so she is good for a while. An iMac fits her needs really well too, and she is good for many years now. It was a no-brainer when it was time to replace, but I'm not so sure going forward. 
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 34 of 46
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    eightzero said:
    macxpress said:
    eightzero said:
    macxpress said:

eightzero said:

That's just it - i won't need a new display, just the computer part. How much better can a display get? 

My current iMac is a late 2009 27" version. I replaced the HD, and it is still going strong. But...it is now frozen in time with High Sierra, as it won't support Mojave. That's fine - there actually isn't anything in Mojave I must have. And I am most definitely not complaining about a desktop computer that meets my needs for nearly 10 years now. 

My wife has been an iMac user for about as long as I have. I got her a 2015 21.5" a few months ago (like $600?), so she is good for a while. An iMac fits her needs really well too, and she is good for many years now. It was a no-brainer when it was time to replace, but I'm not so sure going forward. 
    I upgraded from my late 2009 27"imac 6 months back. Shifted to a iMac Pro with 2TB SSD. I think it will last another 9 years. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    As beautiful as the iMac is, I think it's time Apple let it die, and have their entire desktop line be headless Macs.  So have the Mac / Mac mini as the consumer desktop and the Mac Pro as the professional-grade desktop.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    backstab said:

It is possible to go quite a bit higher end with an external display. But that is getting into hardware calibrated systems and quite expensive. I have a 31” Eizo connected to my 2017 iMac and is is amazing. The iMac display isn’t quite as accurate, but I’m really impressed at how close it is. 

i can see an advantage to a larger built in screen, though I don’t think it is for color accuracy. For me it would mainly be for print design work. The standard for accuracy of vector artwork is very high and seeing more artwork on screen at high magnification would be great! Fitting more art on a single screen is better than a some art on one screen and the second screen is relegated to pallets or email, etc. For graphic design, the quality of Apple’s built in display is more than adequate. More square inches would be helpful!
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Love these videos!  Very informative and well presented!
    vadimyuryev
  • Reply 38 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Nice Mac but still loving my trashcan.   I am looking forward to the next Mac Pro though, for both HVEC and latest I/O. Given the performance of the new MBPs it has got to be a spectacular machine that's coming. /hope
  • Reply 39 of 46
    I have the same iMac and I have had issues with the Dell 4k monitors I added to it. They lose the display signal over the TB3/DisplayPort connection every now and then and I need to safe boot the iMac to get the monitors back some times. It is just one of those things I live with but it is annoying. There are still issues with external displays on iMacs if you go beyond standard 1080p. Apple never properly replaced their own branded displays.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    macxpress said:
    mike54 said:
    I'm waiting for a reasonably priced and spec'd headless mac. I will not buy an all-in one, especially these iMac's as they have serious thermal limitations.
    So basically you're waiting on either a Mac Pro which isn't really gonna be reasonably priced for most people, or a Mac mini which will have WORSE thermal limitations than the iMac. I guess you're gonna keep waiting for a long time. I'm not sure what you're doing that requires something other than an iMac. 
    The Mac mini I owned didn't seem to have thermal issues, nor did the quad-core iMac... unless you pushed them hard (ex: I used to run 2 of the 4 cores full out nearly 100% of the time, and hardly ever heard the fans... though I didn't push all 4 cores, as I didn't want it to break). It sounds like these newer ones easily run the fans up (i.e.: Chrome with some tabs open!?!?).

One would think Apple could design a mini or iMac that didn't have such thermal issues if they cared to try. But, I suppose they'll make them thinner and louder, as their new target audience won't make them noisy creating a letter in Pages, checking email, or using Facebook (so long as they aren't in Chrome).

If it weren't for the thermal issues and fan thing, I'd probably agree with this article and go iMac. (Well, that and the fact that it becomes a big single-use display in my environment where I can't have multiple displays.)

tht said:
    backstab said:
    Totally agree here. 

It’s been 5 years for this form factor, and 9 years for iMacs with 21.5” and 27” displays. Hoping this 16 to 18 month period of no iMac update means a new form factor with new display sizes, 24” 16:9 and 34” 21:9. A 34” 21:9 display at something like 6720x2880 would be sporty, but 8K will be coming sooner or later. 
    I agree here too, as I am concerned 27" is getting a bit big, but I wouldn't mind a bit more space than the 21". The iMac used to be 24", right? Except, I suppose then the 24" model wouldn't have the expandable RAM or VESA mounting, so I'd have to go towards the 30"... so maybe this 27" is better then. :)

eightzero said:
    Yeah, different target markets, I guess. I'd also much rather they be separate. Once you have a good display, you generally keep it and use it a long time. Plus the flexibility of having multiple inputs. But, if the target market is the computer using masses, I suppose they don't care and would rather not have separate pieces. I just wish Apple could serve more than one market.

Since the days of my “iLamp G4” I was always going for Laptop + Screen because of the portability versus power. The iMac 5K was the first Mac to convince me to try again a desktop. Ok, lack of decent Apple made screens (I am like that) plus my iPad Pro made that choice easier. Never looked back so far. Great machine. 
    I prefer the laptop as desktop too, as long as I need a laptop when mobile anyway. But, if you could get by without a laptop mobile (i.e.: just don't need it or can use an iPad, etc.) then it's a much more expensive and complex setup, and you generally sacrifice money and performance to get it.

damn_its_hot said:
    P.S. I get the style and aesthetics but I would not mind a slightly thicker iMac (edge and bulge) if it allowed for better thermal performance and easier user upgrade (mind you and don't want a Mac II with a Monitor shaped on the front. /s
    I just don't care that much, beyond being reasonable about it. The space behind my display is somewhat wasted anyway, so another inch or two doesn't much matter besides Apple's marketing photos (which try to make it look thinner than it actually is, anyway). I was OK with Apple downsizing things until they started to compromise reasonable performance expectations to get there.

razorpit said:
    And you would be wrong. The MacMini is (was) a fantastic work machine as a small server. Trying to fit three or four iMacs in a rack is a bit silly. My home also has repurposed Mini’s where an iMac would never work. 

In my opinion I think the iMac is the most ridiculous (limited) product Apple sells but to each their own...
    No doubt. And, the not selling thing is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

steven n. said:
    I have a serious question:

"I personally prefer using Google Chrome as a browser, and even with 40GB of RAM, the fans can sometimes kick up really loud when I'm researching and opening a bunch of tabs at once."

I find Chrome to be big, slow, battery hungry program with no tangible benefits over Safari. When I launch Chrome (basic install, no add ons) on my iMac Pro, it takes about 5 seconds (VS about .2 seconds for Safari). I don't see the appeal.

What is it people like about Chrome?
    Often the extensions that people install, or there are a number of other browser projects based off Chrome, like Ghost Browser. But, I agree, it mostly sucks. Also, Safari used to be much less compatible and Firefox was horrible (as was IE on the PC)... so Chrome became the go-to. But, Safari and Firefox are now much better.

The iMac seems to be a great position for Apples #1 selling desktop machine, but there should still be non all in 1 macs available ...
    Well, should be and Apple's new spread-sheet/pie-chart driven design model are two different things. :(  If all you care about is numbers, why do anything but the best selling? (And, I'm not sure if Tim has learned the answer to that question, yet.)

davgreg said:
    I see Macs as the tools they are- not as a styling exercise or fashion statement.
    Welcome to the new Fashion-R-Us Apple.

MacPro said:
    Nice Mac but still loving my trashcan.   I am looking forward to the next Mac Pro though, for both HVEC and latest I/O. Given the performance of the new MBPs it has got to be a spectacular machine that's coming. /hope
    So, if you were buying one today... would you buy the 'trashcan' Mac Pro cylinder, or the 5k iMac? (I had been leaning towards the cMP, but seeing how much the newer generation CPUs speed up some of this stuff has me questioning that.)
    (I suppose you'll say the iMac Pro, but that's out of my budget.)
    williamlondon