New 'Series 4' Apple Watch spotted in Eurasian regulatory filing

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2018
Recent filings by the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) strongly suggests Apple is close to revealing the Apple Watch "Series 4," by publishing a batch of model numbers that appear similar to those of existing models of the wearable device.

The EEC filings by Apple, first spotted by Consomac, consists of 14 model numbers, all following the same format of the letter A followed by four numbers. While most correspond to the Apple Watch Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3, six of the model numbers do not relate to any current or previous Apple Watch model at all.

The model numbers in question are: A1975, A1976, A1977, A1978, A2007, and A2008.

It is thought the six model numbers means there will be six models in the Series 4 range, down from the eight models offered under Series 3. It is unknown why, but it could mean the removal of one of the case material options from the roster, which currently consists of aluminum, steel, and ceramic.

It may also signify a change in product mix, with the number of models with and without LTE altered.

The only other main bit of information provided in the three filings is that watchOS 5 will be the operating system running on all devices. Apple is currently expected to ship watchOS 5 this fall alongside iOS 12, tvOS 12, and macOS 10.14 Mojave.

The filings with the EEC are required by any company looking to market devices using encryption in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia. Though relatively little information can be gleaned from the filings, they do typically serve as an indication that a product will be launching within the next few months.

Current speculation about the Series 4 wearable devices is for it to receive its first redesign since 2015, including a 15-percent bigger display, a potentially larger chassis, and a larger lithium ion battery. New functionality is unknown, but rumors from 2017 pointed to an embedded EKG module and a non-invasive glucose monitor being researched by the company, albeit not necessarily for the incoming hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    If there were a round one I might consider buying it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Will watchOS 5 slows down Watch Series 2, Series 3 and even Series 4 is my concern!
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And if it were already round you would be saying you wanted a rectangle one before you would consider it.
    JaiOh81GeorgeBMacgutengeljbdragonnewBelieverwatto_cobradoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 4 of 16
    lkrupp said:
    And if it were already round you would be saying you wanted a rectangle one before you would consider it.
    I’d like a triangular one 🔺
    GeorgeBMacgutengeljbdragonwatto_cobramanfred zorndoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ivanh said:
    Will watchOS 5 slows down Watch Series 2, Series 3 and even Series 4 is my concern!
    What basis of comparison would you have for a slowdown on series 4 hardware? I'm curious since the article indicates (and logic dictates) that the, as yet unannounced, series 4 hardware will ship with WatchOS 5.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This is why I doubted the Digitimes article from last week. It did not mention an AW. That omission, despite all the huge amount of circumstantial evidence, put the other claims in the article in doubt.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Nice to see they’re going LTE on all models now. Wonder if there was some sort of a deal made with data providers. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I don't wear a watch. My iPhone is my clock
  • Reply 9 of 16
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Apple don’t make the⌚️physically any bigger! The 42mm is borderline already. Increase screen size of course but that’s it. As for the likely culling of one of the body materials, I hope it the overpriced ceramic and not the the stainless steel. The latter is my favorite finish, making the aluminum look and feel quite cheap by comparison IMO.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dougd said:
    I don't wear a watch. My iPhone is my clock
    The watch is not necessary so you won’t miss anything (especially if you’re not obsessed on Health) however it is extremely nice to have so I’m wearing them (I have 2) 24/7 now. 
    edited August 2018 jbdragonwatto_cobramanfred zorn
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Apart from yourself I would hazard a guess that there will be exactly ZERO people interested in what you might or might not consider buying. 
    edited August 2018 gutengelvadimyuryevSpamSandwichjbdragonwatto_cobradoozydozenTomE
  • Reply 12 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    dtb200 said:
    lkrupp said:
    I’d like a triangular one 🔺

SpamSandwichjbdragonwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The current models are quite good. Would love to see them squeeze out at least 2-3 days of battery like to make it more useful for outdoor hiking and camping without having to take along extra battery rechargers.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I suspect the loss of two model numbers is related to the Hermes 38 and 42 mm sizes being dropped.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    If they made it round I wouldn’t buy another one.
    There are plenty of crappy smart watches that have crappy round faces, go and buy one of those.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    evilution said:
    If they made it round I wouldn’t buy another one.
    There are plenty of crappy smart watches that have crappy round faces, go and buy one of those.
    Yes, I see zero advantage to having a less functional round face.
    watto_cobra