iPhone preorders appear to be starting on September 14

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Some international mobile carriers are claiming that Apple's new slate of iPhones will be available for order on Friday, September 14, similar to previous years.

Enthusiast site Macerkopf is citing a pair of unnamed German carriers for the order date. AppleInsider is expecting the event to take place on September 12, given historical precedent, so the date makes sense from that perspective.

As always, orders will likely start at midnight U.S. Pacific time, with carrier orders starting at approximately the same time. If there is a specific model desired, ordering early is prudent.

The three iPhone models currently speculated to arrive this fall include two models with OLED screens measuring 6.5 inches and 5.8 inches, while a third is equipped with a 6.1-inch TFT LCD. Most sources now claim that all three will have the TrueDepth camera array and use Face ID, but the LCD model will be positioned in the product line-up as a cost-effective model, while the OLED versions will have more premium pricing and specifications.

Foxconn will continue to be the main iPhone assembler this year, with it said to handle all 5.8-inch OLED units and 80 to 90 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED version, as well as 30 percent of LCD model orders. Pegatron is said to be taking 60 percent of the LCD orders and between 10 and 15 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED model orders, while Wistron makes up the remainder.

Other possibilities for the event include new iMac 4K and iMac 5K models, and possibly a refresh of the MacBook or MacBook Air lines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    all this "new iPhone event" news is reminding me that summer is almost over and now I'm depressed
  • Reply 2 of 10
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    And a Wall Street form just downgraded Apple stock to sell because the iPhone X was so successful it brought upgrades forward eating into demand for future iPhones. You can’t make this stuff up. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/08/20/apple-shares-downgraded-because-the-iphone-x-is-too-popular.html?__twitter_impression=true
  • Reply 3 of 10
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    My tea leaves say the announcement could come next week - BEFORE Labor Day.  Here's way:

1)  These international launches usually happen after the initial launch in the US
    2)  The third quarter comments from Maestr, "We provide a guidance on revenue and the guidance range implies growth of 16 percent to 19 percent [for the fourth quarter]," Maestri said. "We expect the growth to come from strong growth from iPhone, from services, and from wearables, which has been a bit of our pattern during the course of the year."  A second week Sept announcement gives little time in the fourth quarter for sales as it ends on Sept 30th.
    3)  The Betas are all well sorted and this weeks crop may be the last before the announcement 
    4)  If the announcement is next week then availability would most likely be in the first week of Sept, giving nearly a full month of sales for Qtr 4

If I am correct we should know this week as Apple will send out the invites either tomorrow or Wednesday....
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, boy... let the insanity begin!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    emoeller said:
    My tea leaves say the announcement could come next week - BEFORE Labor Day.  Here's way:

1)  These international launches usually happen after the initial launch in the US
    2)  The third quarter comments from Maestr, "We provide a guidance on revenue and the guidance range implies growth of 16 percent to 19 percent [for the fourth quarter]," Maestri said. "We expect the growth to come from strong growth from iPhone, from services, and from wearables, which has been a bit of our pattern during the course of the year."  A second week Sept announcement gives little time in the fourth quarter for sales as it ends on Sept 30th.
    3)  The Betas are all well sorted and this weeks crop may be the last before the announcement 
    4)  If the announcement is next week then availability would most likely be in the first week of Sept, giving nearly a full month of sales for Qtr 4

If I am correct we should know this week as Apple will send out the invites either tomorrow or Wednesday....

To your first point, the initial launch is usually simultaneous in a number of countries. I know we get it the same time as the US, as do the UK. I don't remember if Germany is in the initial launch group, but it wouldn't surprise me.

To your second and fourth points, historically they do a lot of sales in the first week with the iPhone. And if they launch other products as well, that are available for order immediately, then that would give them a significant bump, too.

Certainly the Betas should be pretty much done if they're launching next month, regardless of which week. They will presumably launch iOS before the phone comes out, as they have done in previous years.

Still, you never know. My phone contract is up on the 22nd, which would fit with a launch that week. This is despite the fact my iPhone 7 didn't arrive until later, due to the delays in the Jet Black model.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MarvzMarvz Posts: 3member
    Can’t wait to get iphone X plus 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    Has Apple ever in recent history for their September event announce both a Mac update and iPhone / iOS devices?  Seems they typically do a phone update, followed by a "back to the Mac" update at a later date that is still early enough for the holiday buying season. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    anome said:
    emoeller said:

To your first point, the initial launch is usually simultaneous in a number of countries. I know we get it the same time as the US, as do the UK. I don't remember if Germany is in the initial launch group, but it wouldn't surprise me.

To your second and fourth points, historically they do a lot of sales in the first week with the iPhone. And if they launch other products as well, that are available for order immediately, then that would give them a significant bump, too.

Certainly the Betas should be pretty much done if they're launching next month, regardless of which week. They will presumably launch iOS before the phone comes out, as they have done in previous years.

Still, you never know. My phone contract is up on the 22nd, which would fit with a launch that week. This is despite the fact my iPhone 7 didn't arrive until later, due to the delays in the Jet Black model.

Germany is in the list of same-day launch countries for at least the last six years. 

Also, as far as I am aware, and can remember, Apple has never given less than 14 days advanced notice to the press for an event in September.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobraanome
  • Reply 9 of 10
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Good timing. Usual. But still good. That’s what my Apple Upgrade program says. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    anome said:
    emoeller said:

Germany is in the list of same-day launch countries for at least the last six years. 

Also, as far as I am aware, and can remember, Apple has never given less than 14 days advanced notice to the press for an event in September.

Thanks. I didn't have the list of launch day countries to hand, but actually I'd probably have been more surprised if Germany wasn't one of them.

Just as long as New Zealand isn't so we still get it first!