Multiplayer hit 'Fortnite' may be headed to the Apple TV [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2018
One of the most popular games in the world, "Fortnite," could be coming to the Apple TV at some point in the future, code suggests. [Updated with denial by Epic]

A reference to tvOS can be found in the game's code, according to "Storm," a Twitter user specializing in Fortnite leaks. No other details have been shared so far.

#fortnite Fortnite is coming to Apple tvs. tvOS a Apple tv operating system has been found in the files. pic.twitter.com/QBBojQI0SX

-- Storm - Fortnite Leaks (@StormLeaks)

Epic Games' "Fortnite" is a free-to-play game that has succeeded mostly because of its main mode, "Battle Royale," based on another game, "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds." The lack of an entry fee combined with a more family-friendly atmosphere has made Fortnite wildly popular, and the title is now on several platforms including Apple's macOS and iOS.

The inclusion of a tvOS string is not a guarantee that the app will make it to the media streamer. However, it does suggest that Epic is at least considering the possibility.

On the low-end, "Fortnite" requires a A9 processor, as found in the iPhone SE and iPhone 6. So the app, should it materialize, will likely not be restricted to the Apple TV 4K.

Apple's tvOS set-tops have largely failed to take off as a gaming platform, even though they have enough power and support third-party apps. This is likely because of the Siri Remote, which simply doesn't have the controls to handle the actions and movement of a game like Fortnite. If the game was ported, players would essentially be forced to buy a gamepad.

Update: An Epic representative, Nick Chester, said that the company isn't planning a port.

"References to tvOS in the Fortnite files are the result of general Unreal Engine support for the Apple TV platform," he explained on Twitter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Apple should really start poaching game developers to bring bigger tittles to iOS and tvOS. I've been interested in buying a Switch, but the device is all plastic and feels cheap. I want to play Castlevania on my iPhone while commuting and then continue on my Apple TV when I get home. It could also be a good opportunity to start licensing out the W1 chips on controllers and other accessories.
    watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I'd like to see this running on an Apple TV 4K with the A10X.

Apple needs to get their act together on gaming and the Apple TV (specifically with game controllers). They've got a fairly capable gaming system in the Apple TV already. They need to take advantage of that.
    StuGwatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 3 of 9
    StuGStuG Posts: 8member
    I would love this. I play a few games on my AppleTV, which with the Steel Nimbus works well - but the lack of good games is such a shame. Apple needs to show the AppleTV some love, and support games. Given how successful games are on the iPhone, I don't understand why they haven't ...
    watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 4 of 9
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Fortnite should add iOS controller support first.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
     If the game was ported, players would essentially be forced to buy a gamepad.
    That made me feel old.   What the hell is this new fangled "GamePad"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Good stuff. I really want to see what the ATV 4K can do when it stretches its legs with that actively cooled A10X and a gamepad. It's easily a head and some shoulder above the Switch, which can run things like Fortnite and Doom. 

What I really want to see Apple do is take the publisher role, fund some AAA exclusives for it through third parties. 
    edited August 2018 dhawkins541gutengelwatto_cobratechprod1gyclaire1
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I have always felt Apple has a huge opportunity with gaming on the ATV 4K.  From my perspective as a long time gamer even retro classics could be viable if content could be secured in some way.  There are many 8 bit titles for example that are significantly better than what I am currently paying $1.99-$9.99 for.  I am all for momentum towards more quality gaming content on this device.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Not even ThatGameCompany is in a hurry to release their Apple TV "exclusive". It's gonna be a year since it was announced.

It's a shame the Apple TV is a capable console with literally ZERO games that take full advantage of it. The closest game that gets to Apple TVs potential is Inside.

I even went as far as emailing developers about porting their A10 iPhone games to Apple TV and none seemed interested. Even small CPU games like Roblox and posts, the developers just didn't care probably because Apple doesn't care. There's better games on iPhone which is sad...

tipoo said:
    Good stuff. I really want to see what the ATV 4K can do when it stretches its legs with that actively cooled A10X and a gamepad. It's easily a head and some shoulder above the Switch, which can run things like Fortnite and Doom. 

What I really want to see Apple do is take the publisher role, fund some AAA exclusives for it through third parties. 

What they need to do is buy a 3rd party developer with IP. It doesn't have to be Nintendo. For example, Capcom was flirting with the idea of selling and they own Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mega Man and others.

Switch completely destroys Apple TV in content with less power.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    "Never mind!"