Android collects nearly 10 times more user data than Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2018
Adding to an ongoing location-tracking scandal, a research paper claims that idle Android devices are sending nearly ten times as much data to Google as iOS devices do to Apple's servers.

Google Maps iPhone parking

In testing, an Android phone with Chrome running in the background sent location data to Google 340 times within a 24-hour period, or about 14 times per hour, wrote Vanderbilt University's Prof. Douglas Schmidt in a paper (PDF link) published by trade organization Digital Content Next. Location data is said to have accounted for 35 percent of all traffic back to Google.

An idle Android phone with Chrome is said to send data to Google at a rate nearing 50 times that of an iPhone with Safari.

In the case of Safari, Google can't collect much of any data from the browser or its host device unless a person is actively using it, Schmidt noted.

Last week Google confirmed that it continues to log location data even when a "Location History" setting is disabled. To more completely halt tracking, users must also disable a second setting called "Web and App Activity."

Google's location history practices has invited class action lawsuit, which could theoretically force the company to amend its policies to avoid a payout.

Google is dependent on varying degrees data collection since its primary business is advertising, whereas Apple's is hardware. Apple executives have repeatedly bragged about their stance on privacy, sometimes using it as a point of attack in marketing.
Muntztmay

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Least surprising headline I’ve read this year...
    Muntzmagman1979jbdragonwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 49
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Google sells your identity to the highest bidder. You can't trust Google.
    Muntzmagman1979ElCapitanjbdragonracerhomie3claire1watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 49
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Anybody surprise about this? I am not.  
    edited August 2018 magman1979jbdragonwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Can you imagine the actual usefulness of most of that data considering the userbase?  It's no wonder Google tries so hard to entice iOS and macOS users into their web (no pun intended).
    edited August 2018 magman1979radarthekatracerhomie3watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 49
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    THIS, is just one of the MANY reasons I stay away from that cesspool of BS known as Alphabet Inc, formerly only known as Google... And it is also why I do not have ANY Google apps on my mobile devices, do not use ANY Google services, and make every active attempt to block any and all things Google with ad-blockers on EVERYTHING!
    radarthekatpscooter63racerhomie3caladanianclaire1watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Is anyone surprised? Never touch ANYTHING Google with a 100ft pole! 
    magman1979jbdragonclaire1watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 49
    THIS, is just one of the MANY reasons I stay away from that cesspool of BS known as Alphabet Inc, formerly only known as Google... And it is also why I do not have ANY Google apps on my mobile devices, do not use ANY Google services, and make every active attempt to block any and all things Google with ad-blockers on EVERYTHING!
    I prefer to call them Goophabet. After all, their renaming scheme was nothing but a shell game. 

As for the rest of your comment, I’m with you. I avoid Goophabet and use a good tracker blocker — Better by indie. 
    magman1979claire1watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    But, but, but, Google's EULA says they do not do this kind of things, this must be mistake Google claims they do not collect information.
    magman1979racerhomie3claire1watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 49
    I'm with you Magman...I'm seriously considering (after backing up) of doing a factory reset on all my devices before loading the new OS's on my Se, AppleWatch, iPad and MacBook. Start with a clean slate. And then only loading a minimal amount of Apps and nothing Google or MS.

Thinking about changing my email address and every password using KeyChain, too.

Maybe a lot of unnecessary work, but it'll make me feel better. :)

Best.
    nunzymagman1979claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 49
    nunzy said:
    Google sells your identity to the highest bidder. You can't trust Google.
    But that's why investors love Google. Data collection is one of the easiest money-making schemes and makes investors rich. It can turn personal data into solid gold and there's absolutely no regulation. Google can do whatever it wants with personal data and get away with it. Think of all those couple of billion Android devices just sucking personal data for Google to use. That alone warrants a high P/E for Google. Android OS will totally dominate the BRIC nations and Apple's iOS will get almost nothing. Those consumers don't even care what happens to their personal data because all they want is "free" services. Apple loses out on big data and that's one big reason why Apple's P/E is range-bound.
    nunzy
  • Reply 11 of 49
    I prefer to call them Goophabet. After all, their renaming scheme was nothing but a shell game. 

As for the rest of your comment, I’m with you. I avoid Goophabet and use a good tracker blocker — Better by indie. 
    That name change boosted that company's valuation immensely. Big investors practically went crazy over that name change. You might not want those "free" Google services but billions of poor consumers do. Google services will remain and prosper and keep the company's valuation much higher than Apple's valuation. As far as BRIC nations and Google services are concerned, ignorance is bliss. Most of the world's consumers don't care about privacy so Google wins.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That name change boosted that company's valuation immensely. Big investors practically went crazy over that name change.
    Because Wall Street was happy that Google finally admitted its complicity with the alphabet agencies? What does the name have to do with anything?
    Google services will remain and prosper and keep the company's valuation much higher than Apple's valuation.
    Except… it’s lower.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

That name change boosted that company's valuation immensely. Big investors practically went crazy over that name change. You might not want those "free" Google services but billions of poor consumers do. Google services will remain and prosper and keep the company's valuation much higher than Apple's valuation. As far as BRIC nations and Google services are concerned, ignorance is bliss. Most of the world's consumers don't care about privacy so Google wins.
    But there’s the irony.

The kind of valuable data source Google wants is the sort of person who does care about privacy. 

Snce the whole Facebook thing blew up, the more valuable data source is becoming much more clued up about the misuse of his/her personal data. 

magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

maestro64 said:
    But, but, but, Google's EULA says they do not do this kind of things, this must be mistake Google claims they do not collect information.
    Google has never claimed they don’t collect information. They claim that they safeguard your data. 

My problem is that the company is happy to use trickery to harvest data, so why should I trust them to safeguard it?
    pscooter63magman1979claire1watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 15 of 49
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Bebe said:
    Anybody surprise about this? I am not.  
    I just surprise it was not more than ten times :disappointed: 

magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 49
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I am surprised by this report. Only 10 times as much data? Seems like Google’s not even trying anymore ...
    gatorguywatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 49
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Don't be evil. Just keep on tracking. If they discover something we tell them it's a bug.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 18 of 49
    We have saying: there is water boiling for every pig.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 19 of 49
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Don't. Be evil.
    Blunt said:
    Don't be evil. Just keep on tracking. If they discover something we tell them it's a bug.
    Don't. Be evil.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 49
    I'm with you Magman...I'm seriously considering (after backing up) of doing a factory reset on all my devices before loading the new OS's on my Se, AppleWatch, iPad and MacBook. Start with a clean slate. And then only loading a minimal amount of Apps and nothing Google or MS.

Thinking about changing my email address and every password using KeyChain, too.

Maybe a lot of unnecessary work, but it'll make me feel better. :)

Best.
    That's cute. You think your apple watch, phone, computer need *extra* software to spy on you? Your watch reports how fit you are. how often you breathe.. and it requires an internet connection for some reason. I'm sure apple would never use/sell your data. ;D
    williamlondon