What to expect from the Apple Watch Series 4, and when it is coming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Ready for my first Apple Watch.

Hope it looks like render, includes improved battery and health/wellness capability. đź‘Ź
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Ill still not rule out sleep tracking capability for new model only. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    I'm still rock'n my Series 0. Mainly for time, temp and running.

My next watch will be when it has a slimmer form factor.

I don't mean that as any sort of criticism.  I love my Apple Watch! :)

Best.
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    macgui said:
    zimmie said:
    With the series 3, you don't have to set up the cell modem if you don't want to. It's just present in the watch. I can't imagine the series 4 being different in that regard.
    You do realize that you pay more for an S3 + LTE than one without, right? Right? So why should I pay $70 EXTRA for additional LTE watches that will never see LTE used?

If the carriers dropped the cost for additional Watches to the same account (they won't) then paying extra for the cellular version wouldn't bother me. Or if Apple dropped the price to $329 for GPS + cellular, I'd be fine with that. But that won't happen either.

If the AI article is correct, the non-LTE version would be SS, BSS, and Ceramic. And you do know they're more expensive than $70, right? So maybe you understand why I don't want to see the aluminum GPS only version dropped.
    You cannot buy a SS series 3 without LTE. 
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 25 of 42
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    matrix077 said:
    I have Apple Watch 3 and I use it for sleep tacking with success if you can give yourself a half hour to recharge every day and don't use Apple Watch intensively for texts or GPS. It does take a while to find optimizations for Apple Watch's sleep tracking with "AutoSleep" app. Hopefully, Apple Watch 4 will make it easier for sleep tracking use. 

Having used other watches for sleep tracking, AutoSleep for Apple Watch has one significant edge - it is blazing fast and instantly tells you how much you've slept. My other watches would take about 10 or 15 minutes to tell me how much I slept. That's not acceptable because I need to know how much I slept or if I needed to sleep more without having to stay awake. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    netrox said:
    matrix077 said:
    I have Apple Watch 3 and I use it for sleep tacking with success if you can give yourself a half hour to recharge every day and don't use Apple Watch intensively for texts or GPS. It does take a while to find optimizations for Apple Watch's sleep tracking with "AutoSleep" app. Hopefully, Apple Watch 4 will make it easier for sleep tracking use. 

Having used other watches for sleep tracking, AutoSleep for Apple Watch has one significant edge - it is blazing fast and instantly tells you how much you've slept. My other watches would take about 10 or 15 minutes to tell me how much I slept. That's not acceptable because I need to know how much I slept or if I needed to sleep more without having to stay awake. 

I also am using AutoSleep. :smile: 
  • Reply 27 of 42
    spike2013 said:
    Glucose monitoring isn't going to happen. That would make the Watch a medical device that would require many, lengthy approvals in every country they sell it in. The tech also isn't there yet.
    I'm going from a series 0 to a 4 this fall primarily because of reasons that are better described as medical rather than just health.

Apple can't avoid dealing with these laws/approvals much longer; because as (software) features are added to these watches and phones the laws will soon start to included them even without things like glucose monitoring.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    jdgaz said:
    I am looking forward to the front facing camera, face recognition, and FaceTime communications. Probably not this year, but could be a year or two out.
    I asked a friend something similar: how long before there's an embedded camera under the screen *and* will orient itself so that whatever/whoever you're filming will always appear right-side up? 
    Very long…

Technically it could be done already, but it neither would scale nor be practical; and the damn thing would be either like a brick or have no room for a decent battery.

Bigger battery, slimmer profile, less bezel/bigger screen, glucose monitoring, ECG sensors, global LTE… that's all more important than hiding a camera inside it.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Current AW needs a thermometer, eink super high res always on color display, 1 month run time per charge (minimum) and 6 mm (or less) case thickness.
    I guess 5 or 6 generations to go.

I forgot: it should also be solar powered!
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 30 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Once the watch displaces the phone as a primary communications device, then it will need a camera. I’d love one now for my specific use case (surfing without my phone), but it wouldn’t really be a priority until people are ready to leave their phones behind. That’s actually not too far away though. A low-quality FaceTime camera would probably be easy enough to pop into the watch now, and useful for some. But the first steps would probably for face recognition purposes. Tracking eye movements to know when to turn on the backlight and turn it off would be an interesting application of the technology.

Im not sure what you mean by orient itself ... you mean flip the image 180 when upside down facing outward? That’s the least of the issues, as the iPhone does that now. The bigger issue will be aiming it. Such a camera use really wouldn’t be for much more than taking general wide-shot pics when no other option exists (and I wish I had that ability). Apple probably needs to develop heads-up display glasses that provide some kind of display before this really becomes useable in any real way. Of course that would be usable in general with the AW once it supplants the iPhone.
    jdgaz said:
    I am looking forward to the front facing camera, face recognition, and FaceTime communications. Probably not this year, but could be a year or two out.
    I asked a friend something similar: how long before there's an embedded camera under the screen *and* will orient itself so that whatever/whoever you're filming will always appear right-side up? 

edited August 2018
  • Reply 31 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dws-2 said:
    I have an jet black iPhone 7 that I love. I'll probably update it this year, but honestly it's more because I like shiny new items than because the new ones are that much better.

The watch is a different story. The changes each year for the watch have been pretty huge. Series 2 introduced huge increases in speed and battery life. Series 3 introduced LTE. I'm very excited to see the improvements in Series 4. I'm hoping to more battery life, bigger displays and better heart rate tracking (I doubt that my heart rate is really 54 when I'm running flat out). I'm also hoping for more speed and a better speaker.

With watch OS 5, I think there will be a  lot more times when I'm willing to leave my phone at home. I love listening to podcasts, so this alone is huge.
    The most likely cause of an AW registering a HR of 54 during a hard run is either the strap is not fastened firmly enough or the watch is not positioned correctly.   The other possible cause, as Apple states, is interference with the light signal from dark skin or tattoos.   The only cure for the latter would be Apple switching from the light diodes to an electronic EKG mode like chest straps use.   But, in the meantime, if your problem is the latter, you can use a chest strap with the watch:   Just turn off the watch's HR light diodes and connect the watch to your chest strap.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    spike2013 said:
    Glucose monitoring isn't going to happen. That would make the Watch a medical device that would require many, lengthy approvals in every country they sell it in. The tech also isn't there yet.
    Not necessarily.   We have consumer grade "medical devices" like heart rate monitors, blood pressure monitors, SpO2 monitors, etc.... 
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I'll have had my Series 0 for two years in November. Very much looking forward to an upgrade, be it Series 4 if features compelling enough, or Series 3 to enjoy discounts. Series 0 is slow enough to be bothersome despite having nothing to compare it to, and the battery struggles to last much longer than a golf workout. (And, yes, to naysayers, golf is a workout despite using cart. I still walk 3-4 miles, deal with substantial elevation changes, and get geeked up enough for heart rate to be elevated albeit not to aerobic standards.)
    Yeh, I thought my series 0 was fine -- till I got a series 1!   Big difference.   Obviously the series 3 & 4 will be even greater.

It will be interesting to see which models Apple continues to sell:  Last year they dropped the series 2 while keeping the series 1.

But, for discounts:   I got my Series 0 at a huge discount from Best Buy when Apple released the Series 1.   They were dumping inventory.  I would keep a close eye on EBay and here at ai looking for similar discounts on discontinued watches.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 34 of 42
    spike2013 said:
    Nonsense.
    Selling autonomous drive, like Tesla does shouldn’t be possible according to your logic.
    Sidestep all “jumping trough hoops” like Musk does, by not selling it as such and explicitly state “it’s your own risk if you do so” (a disclaimer all Apple software has already).
    Also, government agencies preventing such enabling technology should be at the receiving end of lawsuits, not the companies making real medical breakthroughs (oeps disclosed a great idea predator law companies can use ...).
  • Reply 35 of 42
    dws-2 said:
    I have an jet black iPhone 7 that I love. I'll probably update it this year, but honestly it's more because I like shiny new items than because the new ones are that much better.

The watch is a different story. The changes each year for the watch have been pretty huge. Series 2 introduced huge increases in speed and battery life. Series 3 introduced LTE. I'm very excited to see the improvements in Series 4. I'm hoping to more battery life, bigger displays and better heart rate tracking (I doubt that my heart rate is really 54 when I'm running flat out). I'm also hoping for more speed and a better speaker.

With watch OS 5, I think there will be a  lot more times when I'm willing to leave my phone at home. I love listening to podcasts, so this alone is huge.
    The most likely cause of an AW registering a HR of 54 during a hard run is either the strap is not fastened firmly enough or the watch is not positioned correctly.   The other possible cause, as Apple states, is interference with the light signal from dark skin or tattoos.   The only cure for the latter would be Apple switching from the light diodes to an electronic EKG mode like chest straps use.   But, in the meantime, if your problem is the latter, you can use a chest strap with the watch:   Just turn off the watch's HR light diodes and connect the watch to your chest strap.
    “Your holding it wrong”
  • Reply 36 of 42
    DED suggests that Apple would drop the non-LTE version and keep the high end versions "because they have a higher margin".

Nah, K-Mart does that.   But Apple doesn't swing that way.  They keep or drop products based on functionality and performance -- how they impact the user.

Actually, I would predict the opposite:  I suspect that there isn't enough difference between the Series 3 LTE and Edition for people to pay 300% more to get the edition.   Instead, Apple has been going the opposite route:  cutting back on the luxury market where they started (and mostly failed) and headed towards the sports, fitness and general use markets.

To me, the $1,300 edition makes zero sense -- unless you're willing to pay an extra $900 to get a white watch.  The grey version makes even less sense because, even in the store (much less on somebody's wrist) I can't tell the difference between it and and $400 "aluminium" one.
    knowitall
  • Reply 37 of 42
    rwes said:

Hope it looks like render, includes improved battery and health/wellness capability. đź‘Ź
    For most people, the battery lasts just fine.   They charge it overnight and it lasts all day.   Where it runs into trouble are those running 4 hour marathons with the heart rate LEDs flashing constantly.  But, in 'normal', non-exercise mode, it lasts fine.

As for health/wellness capability:  most of that depends on biases, preferences and interests.  For myself, even my series 1 tracks my exercise perfectly well and its ongoing reminders and encouragement are helpgul.   My only complaint is that the data it produces is largely a black hole:  it goes into the Health app on the phone and gets displayed as tiny, worthless little graphs that look pretty but don't tell you much.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    spike2013 said:
    Apple has been talking to the FDA and other government organizations for several years now. While it’s unlikely that we will see this in September of this year, I’ve no doubt they’re working on it. We already know that Samsung is. I can’t believe that Samsung would be working on this if they weren’t pretty sure that Apple was too.
    It’s what smart watchbands are for.  
    I really like my Apple black bracelet. I don’t want to have to replace that with some thick and ugly pressure cuff whixh is what would be required otherwise for blood pressure, or for glucose monitoring.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    knowitall said:
    dws-2 said:

“Your holding it wrong”
    Nice troll...  But totally irrelevant to an intelligent discussion.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    rwes said:

My only complaint is that the data it produces is largely a black hole:  it goes into the Health app on the phone and gets displayed as tiny, worthless little graphs that look pretty but don't tell you much.
    There are apps that do a better job with your data. I use HeartWatch and Cardiogram.
    GeorgeBMac