The 2019 Mac Pro will be what Apple wants it to be, and it won't, and shouldn't, make ever...

1101112131416»

Comments

• Reply 301 of 309
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    danwells said:
    You imply that you can get the GTX 980 to function in MacOS

but your procedure lands you in Windows...
    I was explaining how the EFI menu is meaningless, except for when you need to reinstall OS X. And that’s where keeping an old GT 120 around comes in.
    I can almost guarantee we'll see at least one wildly nonstandard connector on the new Mac Pro.
    Probably a daughterboard like the earlier Mac Pro.
    SSD and video are the primary candidates
    Why would Apple do that? The one reason to have the product and they’d ruin it? Again? No. Standard M.2 connectors and PCIe (5.0, hopefully).

docno42
  • Reply 302 of 309
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    danwells said:

I was explaining how the EFI menu is meaningless, except for when you need to reinstall OS X. And that’s where keeping an old GT 120 around comes in.
    I can almost guarantee we'll see at least one wildly nonstandard connector on the new Mac Pro.
    Why would Apple do that? The one reason to have the product and they’d ruin it? Again? No. Standard M.2 connectors and PCIe (5.0, hopefully).

I must have not seen this article when it first came out.

anyway, my commenting on a new Mac Pro elsewhere, involves the date of introduction. My feeling why Apple is coming out with this in 2019 is because new technologies will be available then, or might be. Apple would know this, though for some of it, we can only guess.

so, PCIe 5. Nope!. In 2019 we’ll see PCIe 4. That’s one thing I’m sure Apple is waiting for.

we may see Thunderbolt 4 as well, at possibly 60Gbs. Intel stated when this first came out that it would take a decade, or so, and end at about 100Gbs. So 4 is likely next year. Modular could, I hope, include replaceable I/O, which we don’t have now. Upgrading Thunderbolt would be a good thing.

new chips. As we know, intel is having some problems with 10nm, which should be resolved late this year, but high end chips will be delayed until later in the year.

about those chips. The latest will support Intel’s x-Point technology. That’s the almost, but not quite as fast as RAM, but much faster than NAND, storage products.

there are some other,  not as well known, technologies coming out next year that Apple could use. If they came out with a new Mac Pro this year, they would have to almost totally redesign it next year anyway.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 303 of 309
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    melgross said:
    so, PCIe 5. Nope!. In 2019 we’ll see PCIe 4.
    Oh, I must’ve had my timetables crossed.
    we may see Thunderbolt 4 as well, at possibly 60Gbs.
    That’d be cool, but wouldn’t that just mean a reduction in the number of ports the new Mac Pro can have, or will 2019 Xeon chipsets have greater I/O bandwidth, too?
    Intel stated when this first came out that it would take a decade, or so, and end at about 100Gbs.
    Just as long as they don’t change the port again…
  • Reply 304 of 309
    melgross said:
    That’d be cool, but wouldn’t that just mean a reduction in the number of ports the new Mac Pro can have, or will 2019 Xeon chipsets have greater I/O bandwidth, too?
    Intel stated when this first came out that it would take a decade, or so, and end at about 100Gbs.
    Thunderbolt 3 is 4 PCIe 3 lanes, so Thunderbolt 4 is likely still 4 PCIe lanes - which would make PCIe 4 a requirement for it (double the speed per lane).  So no, there would be no need to have less ports -- other than maybe cost savings.  I am not confident that PCIe 4 will be settled enough at the time the build is finalized... so my guess.. would be still Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe 3.  PCIe 4 contains specifications for OCULink 2 (which is basically a competing standard to Thunderbolt - which will be interesting if it were not this late). 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 305 of 309
    melgross said:
    danwells said:

anyway, my commenting on a new Mac Pro elsewhere, involves the date of introduction. My feeling why Apple is coming out with this in 2019 is because new technologies will be available then, or might be. Apple would know this, though for some of it, we can only guess.

so, PCIe 5. Nope!. In 2019 we’ll see PCIe 4. That’s one thing I’m sure Apple is waiting for.

we may see Thunderbolt 4 as well, at possibly 60Gbs. Intel stated when this first came out that it would take a decade, or so, and end at about 100Gbs. So 4 is likely next year. Modular could, I hope, include replaceable I/O, which we don’t have now. Upgrading Thunderbolt would be a good thing.

new chips. As we know, intel is having some problems with 10nm, which should be resolved late this year, but high end chips will be delayed until later in the year.

about those chips. The latest will support Intel’s x-Point technology. That’s the almost, but not quite as fast as RAM, but much faster than NAND, storage products.

there are some other,  not as well known, technologies coming out next year that Apple could use. If they came out with a new Mac Pro this year, they would have to almost totally redesign it next year anyway.
    The x-point (Intel Optane) has been over-hyped (IMHO).  Yes, if the promises were met it would be great.  I doubt the new chipset/motherboards will support Optane through the DIMM interface yet.  So yes, better latency, probably better durability -- but not a killer product it promised to be as the current NVMe SSD at the top end is close enough in real-world use and cheaper (guaranteed for 5 years).
  • Reply 306 of 309
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    Yeah, 5 has t been finalized as yet, and 4 isn’t out yet, but will be soon.

why a reduction? We could still see 6 ports, though I don’t know anyone who needs 6 TB ports. What we can see is all of the ports running at full speed, unlike what the trash can model has. Since TB is part of the PCIe bus itself, we haven’t been able to add them to older machines. But I see no reason why slots couldn’t allow it in future machines. In addition, I would like to see the other ports on a removable card for upgradability. I don’t use a lot of older ports now, and would just like to remove them.

they changed the port because the group, which controls that port, and the licensing, refused to allow that use, so intel changed it for the USB port, the group for, upon which Intel sits.

i’m also excited by X-Point memory.
    edited August 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 307 of 309
    Apple want to move to a subscription based model for their 'Pro' customers.

That means sealed, proprietary equipment that is too expensive to purchase outright.

Apple want you to pay a monthly fee, and to control every single aspect of your expenditure from end-to-end.
  • Reply 308 of 309
    melgross said:
    danwells said:

Remember, Apple just bought a company with holographic storage patents.