Nikon launches full-frame mirrorless cameras with wireless iPhone & Mac support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Nikon on Thursday announced the Z6 and Z7, the company's first full-frame mirrorless cameras, with both models offering wireless connectivity to iPhone and Mac.

Nikon Z-mount Cameras

Compact body, high quality

After being teased for weeks, Nikon has finally shown off the goods. During a live stream direct from Tokyo, Nikon debuted their latest cameras, the pro-level Z7 and the slightly more affordable Z6.

Both share an identical body design which is all metal and weather sealed for shooting in extreme conditions. While not small, ditching the reflex mirror does allow them to be more compact than their existing high-end DSLRs.

These machines are a direct response to Sony's well-received A7III and A7RIII and come not long after Nikon discontinued their previous mirrorless Nikon 1 line.

Nikon Z7

Nikon Z7 features a 45.7-megapixel sensor with 493 focus points and an ISO range from 64 to 25600. The release date is slated for September 27 in the US and will run $3,396.95 -- body only. Bundling in the 24-70mm f/4 kit lens will bring the price to $3,996.95.

Nikon Z6

The Z6 is largely the same except for a couple key specs. It sports a 24.5-megapixel sensor, 273 focus points, with a 100-51200 ISO. It is also capable of shooting 12 frames per second at full resolution compared to the Z7 which can do 9 FPS. Z6 will be a bit behind the flagship Z7 with a release in late November for $1,996.95 -- body only. The same kit lens bundled in will bring the price to $2,596.95.

The "kit" lens in this instance is one of only three z-mount lenses that will be available at launch and will run $999.95 on its own, so it seems a good deal to pick up the bundle if you are at all interested in it. The other Z-mount lenses include two primes -- a f/1.8 50mm ($599.95) and a f/1.8 35mm ($846.95).

There is a large roadmap of several Z-mount lenses announced for the next couple years. For those who have something in particular they'd prefer to use, the Nikon FTZ adapter allows any existing F-mount lens to work with the new mirrorless cameras -- including autofocus and exposure controls.

iOS and Mac wireless support

Both cameras will ship with built-in WiFi and Bluetooth to support their Snapbridge app for quick and easy wireless transfers to iOS or Android devices. Instead of needing to connect and transfer video and images, it can all be done wirelessly, with a quick transfer of lower resolution images, or a slower t full image transfer.

Apple's USB camera connection kit may still be the better option for large transfers -- although AppleInsider will be testing it out in the future.

Additional features

Nikon Z6 Z7

Other notable features shared by both cameras include:

• Hybrid AF system with auto-switching between phase-detection AF and contrast-detect AF with subject tracking and predicitive AF

• In-camera 5-axis VR stabilization

• OLED electronic viewfinder with 100 percent frame coverage

• 3.2-inch tilting touchscreen with wide 170-degree viewing angle

• 4K video mode up to 30p

• 1080p video recording up to 120p frame rate

• Active D-Lighting, electronic vibration reduction, and focus peaking (which we saw on iPhone) for 4K UHD and 1080p movie recording

• USB-C

• Uses Nikon's exisitng EN-EL15 batteries

• XQD memory slot
AppleInsider will be going hands-on with Nikon's latest shooters after they are released.

Where to buy

Nikon dealers Adorama and B&H Photo are currently accepting pre-orders for the new cameras, kits and lenses. Orders are accepted on a first come, first served basis, so you'll want to secure your place in line today. In addition to free expedited shipping within the contiguous U.S., Adorama and B&H Photo will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside New York and New Jersey (see here for details).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Only one card slot?  Seriously?  

Got to say I am very happy with my Sony A7 III which works really well with all my Canon L lenses thanks to the Metabones V in advanced mode.  Canon cannot be far behind with a Sony copy like this from Nikon.  I hope Canon allow two cards!
    KosiWahaladoozydozenleehammwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 47
    MacPro said:

Got to say I am very happy with my Sony A7 III which works really well with all my Canon L lenses thanks to the Metabones V in advanced mode.  Canon cannot be far behind with a Sony copy like this from Nikon.  I hope Canon allow two cards!
    I have two card slots on my D500 (XQD and SD). I only ever use one at a time.
    These cameras also have USB-C so connecting them to a Mac or PC and downloading the images will be very quick AND it will charge the camera at the same time.
    You can get XQD cards of over 200Gb already. That is an awful lot of shots and many hours of Video.
    I don't see much of a problem myself but obviously, YMMV
    fotoformatJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 47
    I recently purchased a Nikon SLR, to replace by previous D90 that decided to stop working right in the middle of taking pictures of the total eclipse in South Carolina last year.

great camera - but two things that I hate... and two things that might be improved with the above camera - looking forward to a review...
     - the awful snap bridge app, and its terrible user interface and unreliable iteration - to get pics thro wifi from the camera. Its especially poor if you are outside bit occasionally in range of (say your homes trusted wifi - where the camera keeps disconnecting, its appalling.

- the fact that you cannot charge the camera vis USB cable, you're forced to carry the large battery charger and remove the battery every time.

I have a Sony NEX6 and NEX7, and I regret not going Sony again, 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 47
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Nikon will make lots of money because they chose to support Apple. Apple customers are loyal.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    In my amateur opinion, the Z lenses are the biggest deal, with purported edge-to-edge sharpness.
    tmaytenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 47
    MacPro said:

These cameras also have USB-C so connecting them to a Mac or PC and downloading the images will be very quick AND it will charge the camera at the same time.
    You can get XQD cards of over 200Gb already. That is an awful lot of shots and many hours of Video.
    It’s just crazy to shoot an event, such as a wedding, using a camera with only one card slot. Cards fail more often than you might think. To not have a second slot for backing up your shots is just asking for trouble. I don’t believe any camera, with a single card slot, merits the classification of “professional.”
    doozydozensandormac_dogphilboogieviclauyycgatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 47
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    According to this from Nikon, XQD memory cards are the future due to max transfer speeds, and are replacing CF:

https://www.nikonusa.com/learn-and-explore/a/products-and-innovation/what-is-xqd-and-why-should-i-use-it.html

...is it really any wonder Apple dropped consumer SD card slots on their pro lineup?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 47
    MacPro said:

It’s just crazy to shoot an event, such as a wedding, using a camera with only one card slot. Cards fail more often than you might think. To not have a second slot for backing up your shots is just asking for trouble. I don’t believe any camera, with a single card slot, merits the classification of “professional.”
    What were we then in the days before dual card slots?
    fotoformatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 47
    I shot film with Nikons, never hopped on the DSLR wagon because of the ludicrous body size.
    The Z-series is coming back to sanely-sized camera bodies!

Been shooting Micro Four Thirds since 2011 and have been quite happy, especially the ability to assemble a VERY compact kit for light, one bag, no check-in travel.

The Z6 looks great, but the lenses are huge!

If it's feasible, I'd adapt manual Leica M and L39 mount lenses to keep the kit small.

Panasonic GX8 w/ 25mm f1.4 (50mm equivalent angle of view), Nikon Z6 w/ 50mm f1.8. That's one CHUNK of a lens!!!

doozydozenphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    MacPro said:

Explain to the bride and groom of a wedding you were paid to shoot that hundreds of photographs from what is arguably the most special day of their lives were lost forever because you did not think of using a camera with redundant two-card slots.  Photographers have been sued for stuff like that, or had to give complete refunds and most likely, a lost career if the couple were prominent enough to make it happen.

Two-card slots are primarily for redundant storage. When (and it will be "when") a memory card fails, the other card can take over.  I don't know anyone that would use the 2nd slot to increase total storage capacity.  I've never been able to fill a single 64GB card on my Canon 5DM3 from a single shoot, and many of my shoots exceed over 1,000 images!

The reality is cards do fail.  I've had them, and my cards are from reputable, brand-name companies and meant for photography.  If you don't care about your photos during the day, then this is not for you.  However, if your career, and even for an enthusiast - depends on not losing those photographs in the middle of a shoot, then these two cameras are not for you.

I do tons of underwater photography, both of marine wildlife and underwater models.  To lose my photographs in the middle of a shoot.. underwater, with equipment that is sealed from the outside environment is 100% not an option.

Mirrorless cameras are actually much easier and simpler to manufacture.  All that analog mirror-tech is gone which was a huge amount of engineering.  Nikon removing the 2nd card slot just boggles my mind, especially at the price-point of the Z7.

That one exclusion alone has me just brushing off this camera.  Would never even consider it.  Then again, I'm a Canon user so I couldn't care less, albeit I hope this is a direction that Canon NEVER goes to when they come out with their own full-frame mirrorless option.

Big fail Nikon.
    That being said, everything else about the camera is pretty good.  In the end, this is really an enthusiast-only camera.
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 47
    MacPro said:

Pro's worked for years with only one Card Slot. Many still do.
    The reliability of memory cards has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 5-8 years. I've only had one CF, SD or XQD card fail and that was a 'no name' brand that was bought for me as a present. I only use Lexar Pro or SanDisk Pro cards.
    As for shooting an event such as a wedding etc. I do a few weddings a year and always have a second camera ready to go often with a different lens on it.
    With regard to the Nikon Z series, they have worked with a 3rd party storage supplier and the USB-C output can work with their devices. i.e. you can shood directly to them.
    Any job is a risk. Back in the days of Film, you might not know of a process failure (or Airport X-ray fogging) for days after the event. No different then.

StrangeDayszinfellafotoformatJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 47
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I won't be trading my D850 for one it's not worth the hassle or expense 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 47
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    MacPro said:

Worse off than now when we can have redundancy.

Frankly, Nikon's wifi offering thus far have been horrible. 

Sadly, we still rely on our EyeFi SD cards for our 4 dSLRs at work.
    Transfer-as-you-shot also downplays the lack of redundant memory cards in the older models & even RAW images transfer rapidly on our wifi network. They all save to the same location on our server & images are saved with the filenames denoting the camera that created them i.e.  D500_1001.nef or D5_2345.nef & within an auto-created dated folder i.e. 2018-08-22 (this then serves as our "archive")
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 47
    nunzy said:
    Nikon will make lots of money because they chose to support Apple. Apple customers are loyal.
    The lack of a 2nd card slot has me brushing off this camera.  I couldn’t care less about the Apple interface.

this is an enthusiast-only camera.  Most pros will (should?) shun it.
    nunzy
  • Reply 15 of 47
    sandor said:
    MacPro said:

But the claim was cameras without dual slots are not professional. Yet back in the day we didn’t have dual slots yet remained professionals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    MacPro said:

Pro's worked for years with only one Card Slot. Many still do.
    The reliability of memory cards has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 5-8 years. I've only had one CF, SD or XQD card fail and that was a 'no name' brand that was bought for me as a present. I only use Lexar Pro or SanDisk Pro cards.
    As for shooting an event such as a wedding etc. I do a few weddings a year and always have a second camera ready to go often with a different lens on it.
    With regard to the Nikon Z series, they have worked with a 3rd party storage supplier and the USB-C output can work with their devices. i.e. you can shood directly to them.
    Any job is a risk. Back in the days of Film, you might not know of a process failure (or Airport X-ray fogging) for days after the event. No different then.

I have a D500 as well, and would gladly sacrifice the SD slot for direct output to a USB TYPE C SSD, or an iPhone or iPad, were such a thing supported. Haven't actually seen where the Z's support that though.

I use the Lexar Pro x2933 as my XQD card and Lexar Pro X2000 as my SD card, usually just as a backup, though reliability isn't something that worries me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 47
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    No Eye AF. One card slot. After watching Sony the last four years, you would think they would have jumped out of the gate with everything on the Z7 at least. Early reports are the camera has some odd quirks and no one is too hopeful Nikon will address them with FW updates since they are almost as bad as Sony in that department. Still, a good first step even if they had to shove a Sony sensor in it. ;-) Also, should have went with an articulating screen instead of the Sony flip out. Sony users, including me, have moaned about this for years. They almost captured the vlog market in one swoop.

This is not good for Canon. They are really dragging their feet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 47
    sandor said:
    MacPro said:

But the claim was cameras without dual slots are not professional. Yet back in the day we didn’t have dual slots yet remained professionals.
    You may think single-slot dSLR cameras are “professional”, but they are not. Redudancy is a necessity in the age of cameras that can store thousands of shots on one card.  Having a second backup camera is not a solution as that 2nd camera does not magically store shots from the other camera.

film cameras are irrelevant.  They only hold 10’s of shots and one bad frame doesn’t ruin the entire roll.
    edited August 2018 philboogie
  • Reply 19 of 47
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Am I the only one not grumpy? I think this thing looks awesome. 

My my favorite part is the (reasonably) affordable FTZ adapter that will let me use my 3 nikkor Pro zoom lenses. The new 70-200 FL tele zoom is an amazing lens. And I’m so glad they seem to fully support most actively used existing lens functionality, while enhancing them by allowing the in-body stabilization to enhance the lens VR. My investment in lenses is far greater than in the camera, and I really love these lenses. But it’s time to go mirrorless. I’ve gas a micro four thirds Camera (Panasonic GX7) and though I love the size, I don’t love the lenses, less depth of field control, noiser RAW files. Happy that Nikon has a way into mirrorless for those of us who love our Nikkor F mount lenses. 

And the USB-C plug enables charging in body, right? Kiss all those proprietary mains power supplies goodbye, not to mention one less device forcing me to live in dongle town. 
    fotoformatbmwintoxication
  • Reply 20 of 47
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    StrangeDays said:
    Back in the film days you only had one roll of film per camera. Most professional wedding photographers hired multiple staff with multiple cameras to gets lots of angles. Always enough to put together a high quality wedding set. It is still not a bad idea since it is nice to have two cameras with two different lens and perhaps a couple other videographers shooting real video cameras with a color depth format of at least 4:2:2. Single photographer wedding shoots are more of a liability than not having an extra storage card.