Nikon launches full-frame mirrorless cameras with wireless iPhone & Mac support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    aplnub said:
    No Eye AF. One card slot. After watching Sony the last four years, you would think they would have jumped out of the gate with everything on the Z7 at least. Early reports are the camera has some odd quirks and no one is too hopeful Nikon will address them with FW updates since they are almost as bad as Sony in that department. Still, a good first step even if they had to shove a Sony sensor in it. ;-) Also, should have went with an articulating screen instead of the Sony flip out. Sony users, including me, have moaned about this for years. They almost captured the vlog market in one swoop.

This is not good for Canon. They are really dragging their feet.
    Canon is doing nothing wrong.  In fact, I think it's great they are not jumping onto the Mirrorless bandwagon so soon in the game.  Let everyone else make their mistakes, see how the market progresses and so forth.  

I'm a Canon user and I eagerly await to see what Canon comes out it.  Until then, my Canon 5DM3 full-frame camera still amazes me with the quality.  I'm patient as can be.  There are rumors that some people are out in the wild testing Canon's mirrorless systems so I hope they're baked-in well before hitting production.

It's pretty amazing time to be a photographer watching a new market come into fruition.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    MacPro said:
    Only one card slot?  Seriously?  

Got to say I am very happy with my Sony A7 III which works really well with all my Canon L lenses thanks to the Metabones V in advanced mode.  Canon cannot be far behind with a Sony copy like this from Nikon.  I hope Canon allow two cards!
    Canon is set to announce a new mirrorless full-frame camera very shortly.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    MacPro said:

Got to say I am very happy with my Sony A7 III which works really well with all my Canon L lenses thanks to the Metabones V in advanced mode.  Canon cannot be far behind with a Sony copy like this from Nikon.  I hope Canon allow two cards!
    They are going for a more compact body here. Their other shooters (Like the D500) have two card slots for those who need it. Traditionally, I use my XQD as my primary, and the SD as a backup. Like shooting the RAW shots to the primary, and JPEG to the backup.

That said, I won't miss the second card slot as I only use both for professional shoots.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    sandor said:
    MacPro said:

I have two card slots on my D500 (XQD and SD). I only ever use one at a time.
    These cameras also have USB-C so connecting them to a Mac or PC and downloading the images will be very quick AND it will charge the camera at the same time.
    You can get XQD cards of over 200Gb already. That is an awful lot of shots and many hours of Video.
    I don't see much of a problem myself but obviously, YMMV
    It’s just crazy to shoot an event, such as a wedding, using a camera with only one card slot. Cards fail more often than you might think. To not have a second slot for backing up your shots is just asking for trouble. I don’t believe any camera, with a single card slot, merits the classification of “professional.”
    What were we then in the days before dual card slots?
    Worse off than now when we can have redundancy.
    But the claim was cameras without dual slots are not professional. Yet back in the day we didn’t have dual slots yet remained professionals.

You are being intentionally obtuse.

There are countless examples of progress in all fields, and the presence of progress & better, safer ways of doing things does not denigrate the past professionals, just points out how fields have progressed & developed over time.

• Reply 25 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    MacPro said:

These cameras also have USB-C so connecting them to a Mac or PC and downloading the images will be very quick AND it will charge the camera at the same time.
    You can get XQD cards of over 200Gb already. That is an awful lot of shots and many hours of Video.
    Nothing to do with download speed or capacity.  It's about safety on a professional shoot, cards can fail.  You write to both cards with each photograph RAW on one and JPEG on the other not to mention redundancy if one fails.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 26 of 47
    nunzy said:
    Nikon will make lots of money because they chose to support Apple. Apple customers are loyal.
    That's lovely but are you saying Sony and Canon don't support Apple.  In what way?
    nunzy
  • Reply 27 of 47
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    cpsro said:
    In my amateur opinion, the Z lenses are the biggest deal, with purported edge-to-edge sharpness.
    It's the new Z mount that is allowing the edge to edge sharpness. 
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 28 of 47
    MacPro said:

It’s just crazy to shoot an event, such as a wedding, using a camera with only one card slot. Cards fail more often than you might think. To not have a second slot for backing up your shots is just asking for trouble. I don’t believe any camera, with a single card slot, merits the classification of “professional.”
    You said, 'sorry can you take the ring off and put it on again' if a wedding photographer, in my case we shoot sports events, ... hey, crash that bike again, please! ;)
    sandor
  • Reply 29 of 47
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    sflocal said:
    aplnub said:
    No Eye AF. One card slot. After watching Sony the last four years, you would think they would have jumped out of the gate with everything on the Z7 at least. Early reports are the camera has some odd quirks and no one is too hopeful Nikon will address them with FW updates since they are almost as bad as Sony in that department. Still, a good first step even if they had to shove a Sony sensor in it. ;-) Also, should have went with an articulating screen instead of the Sony flip out. Sony users, including me, have moaned about this for years. They almost captured the vlog market in one swoop.

This is not good for Canon. They are really dragging their feet.
    Canon is doing nothing wrong.  In fact, I think it's great they are not jumping onto the Mirrorless bandwagon so soon in the game.  Let everyone else make their mistakes, see how the market progresses and so forth.  

I'm a Canon user and I eagerly await to see what Canon comes out it.  Until then, my Canon 5DM3 full-frame camera still amazes me with the quality.  I'm patient as can be.  There are rumors that some people are out in the wild testing Canon's mirrorless systems so I hope they're baked-in well before hitting production.

It's pretty amazing time to be a photographer watching a new market come into fruition.
    It is pretty amazing to be a photographer now. I'm not a professional but photography is a big hobby of mine. I used to be a Canon user, but I just switched to Nikon a few years ago. I first bought a D810 but have since sold that and now use a D850. The image quality in full frame cameras is pretty amazing. I used to just shoot landscapes but now I'm getting into night photography. I've been doing a lot of time lapse videos as well on the D850.

As of now, I'm not quite sold on mirrorless cameras, although it does seem they have caught up to DSLR's. Sony's mirrorless cameras look really nice, but I'll wait to see what Canon does. When I do eventually get a mirrorless full frame camera, I'll go with either Canon or Nikon. 
  • Reply 30 of 47
    MacPro said:

We use film.

I wonder why Nikon or canon don’t make any dual film camera!?  What a loser. 
  • Reply 31 of 47
    I shot film with Nikons, never hopped on the DSLR wagon because of the ludicrous body size.
    The Z-series is coming back to sanely-sized camera bodies!

Been shooting Micro Four Thirds since 2011 and have been quite happy, especially the ability to assemble a VERY compact kit for light, one bag, no check-in travel.

The Z6 looks great, but the lenses are huge!

If it's feasible, I'd adapt manual Leica M and L39 mount lenses to keep the kit small.

Panasonic GX8 w/ 25mm f1.4 (50mm equivalent angle of view), Nikon Z6 w/ 50mm f1.8. That's one CHUNK of a lens!!!

The Z lens mount is much bigger than F mount. That is why a 58/0.95 is on the pipeline.
  • Reply 32 of 47

polymnia said:
    Am I the only one not grumpy? I think this thing looks awesome. 

No, I pre ordered mine/w adapter this morning.  Hopefully it'll be here by the first of Oct.

polymnia
  • Reply 33 of 47
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    dougd said:
    I won't be trading my D850 for one it's not worth the hassle or expense 
    Same here, BUT, an interesting development for the future. Some nice looking lenses with that Z mount....
  • Reply 34 of 47
    MacPro said:

They are going for a more compact body here. Their other shooters (Like the D500) have two card slots for those who need it. Traditionally, I use my XQD as my primary, and the SD as a backup. Like shooting the RAW shots to the primary, and JPEG to the backup.

That said, I won't miss the second card slot as I only use both for professional shoots.
     ... so say the photo of a never to be repeated action was missed due to card failure, you what ... switch cameras and time jump back?  ;)
  • Reply 35 of 47

I had a bad experience with 2 Nikon cameras - a point-and-shoot which had a pretty widespread problem of not working in Automatic mode and a issue with a DSLR that had problems with lenses.

I was a Nikon guy for a long time, but my next camera will be a Canon. So I'm interested in seeing what Canon has to offer in this segment.

• Reply 36 of 47
    At the published price point (read: a7R III competitor), designing the N7 with one memory slot is an unfathomable product engineering and positioning decision. The blowback is almost universally in agreement that it was a horrendous decision with respect to the pro market.

That said, everyone should calm down. The Z7 and Z6 are the only first offerings at the beginning of a VERY long road map (a7R Mark 1, anybody?). Nikon faces the tricky prospect of maintaining (and improving) the existing DSLR line while gradually entering the world of mirrorless. Want to bet that Nikon may take a page from Sony's playbook and, going forward, keeps older mirrorless models as active, supported SKUs as newer Z generations are introduced? The single memory slot is going to provide Nikon with enormous feedback as to what a Z7 G2 (or Z8) should be. (And sleepless nights for some product managers).
  • Reply 37 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tmay said:
    MacPro said:

Pro's worked for years with only one Card Slot. Many still do.
    The reliability of memory cards has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 5-8 years. I've only had one CF, SD or XQD card fail and that was a 'no name' brand that was bought for me as a present. I only use Lexar Pro or SanDisk Pro cards.
    As for shooting an event such as a wedding etc. I do a few weddings a year and always have a second camera ready to go often with a different lens on it.
    With regard to the Nikon Z series, they have worked with a 3rd party storage supplier and the USB-C output can work with their devices. i.e. you can shood directly to them.
    Any job is a risk. Back in the days of Film, you might not know of a process failure (or Airport X-ray fogging) for days after the event. No different then.

I have a D500 as well, and would gladly sacrifice the SD slot for direct output to a USB TYPE C SSD, or an iPhone or iPad, were such a thing supported. Haven't actually seen where the Z's support that though.

I use the Lexar Pro x2933 as my XQD card and Lexar Pro X2000 as my SD card, usually just as a backup, though reliability isn't something that worries me.
    FWIW it's also pretty common to send the jpeg's to one card and the RAW images to the other. Can really cut down on the time needed in post besides being a safeguard in case you do something dumb like pull a card and somehow manage to lose it between the shoot and home. I've done it. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 38 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    MacPro said:

The reliability of memory cards has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 5-8 years. I've only had one CF, SD or XQD card fail and that was a 'no name' brand that was bought for me as a present. I only use Lexar Pro or SanDisk Pro cards.
    As for shooting an event such as a wedding etc. I do a few weddings a year and always have a second camera ready to go often with a different lens on it.
    With regard to the Nikon Z series, they have worked with a 3rd party storage supplier and the USB-C output can work with their devices. i.e. you can shood directly to them.
    Any job is a risk. Back in the days of Film, you might not know of a process failure (or Airport X-ray fogging) for days after the event. No different then.

I have a D500 as well, and would gladly sacrifice the SD slot for direct output to a USB TYPE C SSD, or an iPhone or iPad, were such a thing supported. Haven't actually seen where the Z's support that though.

I use the Lexar Pro x2933 as my XQD card and Lexar Pro X2000 as my SD card, usually just as a backup, though reliability isn't something that worries me.
    FWIW it's also pretty common to send the jpeg's to one card and the RAW images to the other. Can really cut down on the time needed in post besides being a safeguard in case you do something dumb like pull a card and somehow manage to lose it between the shoot and home. I've done it. 
    Hey, we agree :)

I have to say the number of folks not understanding the advantage of dual slot / writing for a professional shoot here is astounding, as if two cameras will help in live situations.  As to the silly 'what did we do in film camera days?' ... jeez ... I guess debates regarding the usefulness of ABS brakes could be countered with 'what did we do when we had house drawn carriages?'  Of course the answer to the film reference was we prayed ;)
  • Reply 39 of 47
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    MacPro said:

Hey, we agree :)

I have to say the number of folks not understanding the advantage of dual slot / writing for a professional shoot here is astounding, as if two cameras will help in live situations.  As to the silly 'what did we do in film camera days?' ... jeez ... I guess debates regarding the usefulness of ABS brakes could be countered with 'what did we do when we had house drawn carriages?'  Of course the answer to the film reference was we prayed ;)
    All this debate over the lack of dual card slots and several pros chiming in about the lack thereof makes me think that only some of the pros are represented here. What about tethered studio photographers?

In my world, which involves a lot of studio photography, cameras are almost always tethered to a Mac for instant reviewing by clients & art directors and continuous processing by an on-set digitech. In this case the primary storage (Card 1, if you will) is the tethered Mac. The backup copy of all photos (Card 2) is the single card in the camera.

It occurs to me that these mirrorless camera are especially well adapted for laydown product photography where the photographer rarely uses the optical viewfinder to compose the shot. All composition is done via live view or a tethered display.

Obviously, Nikon's videos show people out shooting fashion on location because its a compelling visual story, but the real-world use for many of these cameras may be tethered in studio, making dual slots moot.

The proper SLRs will do doubt continue with dual cards as long as people continue to buy SLRs and they trend toward being used by the on-location or walking around photographer.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 40 of 47
    MacPro said:

Yes, indeed. As a >20 year Canon shooter, I think this makes the A7III look even more of a bargain. Good to hear you are happy with the adaptor. I have plenty of Canon glass but I think Canon and Nikon have already lost this battle.