Nikon launches full-frame mirrorless cameras with wireless iPhone & Mac support

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I recently purchased a Nikon SLR, to replace by previous D90 that decided to stop working right in the middle of taking pictures of the total eclipse in South Carolina last year.

great camera - but two things that I hate... and two things that might be improved with the above camera - looking forward to a review...
     - the awful snap bridge app, and its terrible user interface and unreliable iteration - to get pics thro wifi from the camera. Its especially poor if you are outside bit occasionally in range of (say your homes trusted wifi - where the camera keeps disconnecting, its appalling.

- the fact that you cannot charge the camera vis USB cable, you're forced to carry the large battery charger and remove the battery every time.

I have a Sony NEX6 and NEX7, and I regret not going Sony again, 

I have an NEX 7 and the Zeiss 50mm F1.8 and love it. I'm kinda sad they stopped making the ASP-C size, because the best thing about this camera is how compact it is. The FF models after it are much larger and closer to DSLR sizes, not to mention quite a bit more expensive.
  • Reply 42 of 47

polymnia said:

And the USB-C plug enables charging in body, right? Kiss all those proprietary mains power supplies goodbye, not to mention one less device forcing me to live in dongle town. 
    Yeah, that's hot. Hopefully Sony will go this route too with their next round.

Take that, SD card slot whiners.
    polymniapolymnia
  • Reply 43 of 47

nunzy said:
    Nikon will make lots of money because they chose to support Apple. Apple customers are loyal.
    I'm increasingly convinced this account is actually a bot.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

polymnia said:

And the USB-C plug enables charging in body, right? Kiss all those proprietary mains power supplies goodbye, not to mention one less device forcing me to live in dongle town. 

I had to triple check the USB-C spec, since Nikon has been slow to adopt modern plugs/loves to make proprietary connectors. Was so happy to see it’s truly USB-C. 
  • Reply 45 of 47
    MacPro said:
    Only one card slot?  Seriously?  

Got to say I am very happy with my Sony A7 III which works really well with all my Canon L lenses thanks to the Metabones V in advanced mode.  Canon cannot be far behind with a Sony copy like this from Nikon.  I hope Canon allow two cards!
    I have two card slots on my D500 (XQD and SD). I only ever use one at a time.
    These cameras also have USB-C so connecting them to a Mac or PC and downloading the images will be very quick AND it will charge the camera at the same time.
    You can get XQD cards of over 200Gb already. That is an awful lot of shots and many hours of Video.
    I don't see much of a problem myself but obviously, YMMV
    It’s just crazy to shoot an event, such as a wedding, using a camera with only one card slot. Cards fail more often than you might think. To not have a second slot for backing up your shots is just asking for trouble. I don’t believe any camera, with a single card slot, merits the classification of “professional.”
    What were we then in the days before dual card slots?
    Not to mention all those old film cameras.  I have a D500, D810, and a D850.  All have dual slots, but I never bother with using the SD card slot.  The frame rate slow down writing to a slow SD card is enough to keep me from using it.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

polymnia said:

There are two type of photography for a professional.  One where the subject is totally under the control of the photographer, in which case second slots don't matter heck we used to tether cameras to Macs in the 90's as the early digital files were too large for anything technology had to offer back then.  Examples would be studio work, products, portraits and so on. Then there is the other type where the photographer has zero control, wedding vows, lions leaping and soccer player scoring.  Here you really like having two cards writing in parallel not to mention 20 shots per secong like the Sony a7 iii.  Then there are those shoots that are a bit of both.  A three year old portrait isn't exactly controllable and and at a  wedding for the most part you can control the group shots.  Ladnscapes seem to be controlable but then there is always the weather.  It's all a matter of using the best gear for the occasion, as any professional knows.  No whining needed.  A single slot camera today is fine for the concontrolled shoots but would be extreemly risky for the real time and uncontrllable situations.  Simple as that, which is why most of us have a range of gear.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 47 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

mdirvin said:
    MacPro said:
    Only one card slot?  Seriously?  

Got to say I am very happy with my Sony A7 III which works really well with all my Canon L lenses thanks to the Metabones V in advanced mode.  Canon cannot be far behind with a Sony copy like this from Nikon.  I hope Canon allow two cards!
    I have two card slots on my D500 (XQD and SD). I only ever use one at a time.
    These cameras also have USB-C so connecting them to a Mac or PC and downloading the images will be very quick AND it will charge the camera at the same time.
    You can get XQD cards of over 200Gb already. That is an awful lot of shots and many hours of Video.
    I don't see much of a problem myself but obviously, YMMV
    It’s just crazy to shoot an event, such as a wedding, using a camera with only one card slot. Cards fail more often than you might think. To not have a second slot for backing up your shots is just asking for trouble. I don’t believe any camera, with a single card slot, merits the classification of “professional.”
    What were we then in the days before dual card slots?
    Not to mention all those old film cameras.  I have a D500, D810, and a D850.  All have dual slots, but I never bother with using the SD card slot.  The frame rate slow down writing to a slow SD card is enough to keep me from using it.
    The Sony a7iii can write 20 shots per second to both cards, one RAW one JPEG I believe not that I have tried that yet.