2018 iPhone refresh more than a spec bump, may not be called 'S' or 'plus'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
As the Apple event grows closer, another report has bolstered the rumors surrounding the incoming iPhone refresh, with the iPhone X's edge-to-edge screen plus notch in a wider variety of sizes and price points continuing to be the things to watch for during September's "S year" launch.

Reiterating previous rumors about Apple's upcoming mobile devices, the Bloomberg report cites people who "asked to not to be identified discussing unannounced products" in claiming there will be three smartphones launched, retaining the same general design as the current iPhone X.

While in 2017, two different designs of iPhone were revealed, keeping the appearance of the iPhone X in all three models has allegedly led to some within Apple to call the event an "S year" launch. In previous iPhone models, the S suffix refers to updated releases with mostly internal changes, rather than models with major redesigns.

More significant changes are planned for 2019, the sources claim.

As for what to expect, the three models will consist of the high-end 6.5-inch model, codenamed D33, along with an upgraded iPhone X with a 5.8-inch OLED screen, codenamed D32, with a faster processor and better camera.

The third, codenamed N84, refers to the model equipped with a 6.1-inch LCD screen, a value proposition to consumers. While it will share the same basic appearance, it will have aluminum edges instead of a stainless steel casing, and while it will have a colored glass back, the edges may not have the same coloring, reportedly to help simplify production.

Nothing published by Bloomberg regarding the 2018 iPhone is a revelation, with most of the report a rehash of older rumors about the devices. Rumors, nearly identical to Monday's report, have been circulating since January.

The report also touches on a new Apple Watch, roughly the same size as the existing design to allow for watch band compatibility, and new iPad Pro models with screen sizes "around 11 inches and 12.9 inches."

The three iPhone models currently speculated to arrive this fall include two models with OLED screens measuring 6.5 inches and 5.8 inches, while a third is equipped with a 6.1-inch TFT LCD. Most sources now claim that all three will have the TrueDepth camera array and use Face ID, but the LCD model will be positioned in the product line-up as a cost-effective model, while the OLED versions will have more premium pricing and specifications.

Foxconn will continue to be the main iPhone assembler this year, with it said to handle all 5.8-inch OLED units and 80 to 90 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED version, as well as 30 percent of LCD model orders. Pegatron is said to be taking 60 percent of the LCD orders and between 10 and 15 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED model orders, while Wistron makes up the remainder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Horace Dediu of asymco is predicting $120 B for FY 2019 (Christmas quarter) based on CAPEX by Apple. Based on lack of rumors of delays this year vs last year, that's looking like a $32B increase in revenue. I've read elsewhere that the expectation is that the three new models will be some 70% plus of sales next year. It's hard to imagine how big FY2019 is going to be for Apple, especially with expected new Mac Models on the horizon, and filling out more audio and wearable product lines.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 53
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Safe bet we won’t see iPhone “Xs”, trolls have field day and excessively mispronounce as “iPhone Excess”
    watto_cobrarogifan_newanton zuykovrandominternetpersonMacPro
  • Reply 3 of 53
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Sorry, but the 6.1” LCD “value proposition” iPhone X does not make any sense. There is NO reason for Apple to make a cheaper version of something, when the expensive version is already selling extremely well.

I’m betting that the 6.1” LCD display is for iPhone 9 Plus.

They will release 2 new models and 4, maybe 5, new phones...

iPhone X.2
    iPhone X.2 Plus

iPhone 9
    iPhone 9 Plus
    iPhone 9 mini

All new models will have True Depth cameras, meaning no more Home Button. The iPhone 9 display will not have a notch, but rather smaller top and bottom bezels.
    watto_cobralkruppradarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Is it just me, or are we seeing fewer “leaks” this year? I haven’t seen any actual pics of devices or components (screens, back case, logic board.....).
    watto_cobrawilliamlondontmayanton zuykovStrangeDayspatchythepirateargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Perhaps they'll just switch the naming convention to something closer to the Mac, MacBook and iPad...year number + screen size. They could also use the 'Pro' naming if they add Apple Pencil support. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 53
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    SemiAccurate, for whatever their reputation is worth (so...Mound of salt, here), is staking their reputation on a 50% increase per core. Now that would be a mighty impressive feat, given that they're already up there with Intel size execution windows, but given the density, power, and clock speed improvements of the 7nm fab, maybe, if all those things were used towards peak power...

Hoping the iPads go the A12X route, finally being in line with the iPhone processor core launches, while still being higher power/higher bandwidth/more cores. The rumored 3+5 core sounds scary for the Intel U series.
    GeorgeBMacthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ditching plus branding only works well if both phones offer all the same features. If they do it’s a no brainier plus branding is likely gone. As for the 6.1” iPhone, making it 6.1” as opposed to 5.8” is confusing. And it is sensible to assume it will be named iPhone 9, and will feature a single lens camera and LCD screen.
    edited August 2018 macplusplus
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Is it just me, or are we seeing fewer “leaks” this year? I haven’t seen any actual pics of devices or components (screens, back case, logic board.....).
    Where's that "Leaker in Chief" Kuo when you need him eh?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    mjtomlin said:
    Sorry, but the 6.1” LCD “value proposition” iPhone X does not make any sense. There is NO reason for Apple to make a cheaper version of something, when the expensive version is already selling extremely well.

iPhone X.2
    iPhone X.2 Plus

iPhone 9
    iPhone 9 Plus
    iPhone 9 mini

All new models will have True Depth cameras, meaning no more Home Button. The iPhone 9 display will not have a notch, but rather smaller top and bottom bezels.
    You sound very silly you know. Don’t confuse your wishful thinking with what will actually be launched. You haven’t a clue, so don’t pretend you do...peace.✌️ 
    edited August 2018 airnerdnetmageshark5150
  • Reply 10 of 53
    I was thinking the same thing. We usually see some glass by now. They’re finally getting better at this. 

Mjtomlin is wrong...
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    My wallet is already open and waiting.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Perhaps they'll just switch the naming convention to something closer to the Mac, MacBook and iPad...year number + screen size. They could also use the 'Pro' naming if they add Apple Pencil support. 
    Pro implies a professional use requiring a high end, high power device.  That simply doesn't work for iPhone -- where uses are largely similar and the primary differentiation is on gamer vs non-gamer.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    End of September can't get here soon enough.  My 6 is still chugging along, but badly needs a refresh.  Last year should have been my usual "every 3 years" schedule but I toughed it out one more year.  6 is showing its age, ready for whatever Apple charges :)
    GeorgeBMacbageljoeytokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    bluefire1 said:
    My wallet is already open and waiting.
    My iPhone 6+ is fading fast:
    First a weak battery
    Then a cracked screen
    Yesterday, the bottom 2/3's of the screen became dark(er)

Hurry up Apple!   I NEED one of these!   Now!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Folio said:
    Safe bet we won’t see iPhone “Xs”, trolls have field day and excessively mispronounce as “iPhone Excess”
    Maybe they could change the X to a 10 this year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Surely they have to now, releasing 8 & 10 at the same time just threw the system all to f*ck. If they release a 9 this year, it'll be newer than the 10
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Pro implies a professional use requiring a high end, high power device.  That simply doesn't work for iPhone -- where uses are largely similar and the primary differentiation is on gamer vs non-gamer.

Wrong. Pro means something you use to get work done, not higher specs (though it could involve improved specs).

The iPhone utterly dominates in enterprise and corporate use. So does the iPads. I would call that “professional”.
    williamlondonnetmageradarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 53
    GeorgeBMac said: Pro implies a professional use requiring a high end, high power device.  That simply doesn't work for iPhone -- where uses are largely similar and the primary differentiation is on gamer vs non-gamer.
    I generally agree with that, but there isn't any concrete info on what the differences between models in 2018 might be. I think it's safe to assume that the lens system used won't be unified like in the past, so perhaps adding Apple Pencil + a higher RAM spec for the largest version could justify 'Pro' since it would likely have the best camera hardware as well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    OK Mark Gurman they’re never calling these new phones Xs as many people refer to them as X and not 10 and Xs sounds like ‘excess’. Also how is it newsworthy that the new X is going to look similar to the current X. No smartphone maker is introducing brand new designs every year, it makes no sense.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 53
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mjtomlin said:

iPhone X.2
    iPhone X.2 Plus

iPhone 9
    iPhone 9 Plus
    iPhone 9 mini

Why are there 3 iPhone 9 models? What the heck is the iPhone 9 mini?