New HomePod, 'AirPods 2,' death of 3D Touch all expected in 2019

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    foljs said:
    claire1 said:
    3D Touch better have a better alternative if Apple dares remove it
    For all those 5 people who use it?

Apple has removed much more widely used stuff (headphone jack for one) and nothing much happened...
    I guess I’m one of the five.
    watto_cobrastompykingofsomewherehotclaire1williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 66
    claire1 said:
    3D Touch better have a better alternative if Apple dares remove it!
    There's removing it, and then there's removing it…

3D Touch as we think of it is among other things measuring some changes in the material, sensors that you could ditch and instead use a pure software-based solution to measure a touch with greater force. That way they've "removed" it, just like sources from the supply chain seem to indicate, and at the same time keep the functionality.

In theory this could make it easier to customize the definition of a 3D/force touch based on a users preferences/actual usage of the device.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 23 of 66
    vukasika said:
    claire1 said:
    Yeah, you beat me too it.  It's probably one of the most useful and under-utilized features on the phone. I can only imagine it becoming even more useful when the home button goes the way of the dinosaur.
    If it really was that useful, it would not be underutilized

Speaking for myself, it’s been a cosmetic add-on to one amongst a variously pointless set of iOS updates (I forget which). 
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 66
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    vukasika said:
    claire1 said:
    Yeah, you beat me too it.  It's probably one of the most useful and under-utilized features on the phone. I can only imagine it becoming even more useful when the home button goes the way of the dinosaur.
    It's also one of those features the knockoffs couldn't adapt to. The lock screen buttons on iPhone X are GENIUS!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 66
    The other day I was having lunch with three iPhone users and none of them knew that 3D touch was even a feature when I brought it up. Even knowing about it, I practically never use it. Cursor moving is the only thing I've actually found useful.
    canukstormbaconstangwelshdog
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    More controversially, it is "widely understood" by the supply chain that the iPhone lineup in the fall of 2019 will lack 3D Touch. Barclays notes that the plans are not finalized, so the feature may appear, and it may not. It isn't clear why a future iPhone would lack the feature, given that it works fine on the iPhone X.
    Bullshit. Can you guys please stop reporting every thought some sell side analyst vomits out? Apple suppliers aren’t going to leak plans to Wall Street analysts (and that’s assuming they even know what those plans are).
    Or state clearly whether AI paid for these reports or they were given to AI. The context matters, and writing “seen by AI” uses the passive voice which removes subject detail and is generally to
    be avoided. 
    I have answered this question several times already. I will not do so again.
    king editor the grateavon b7muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobragatorguyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Touch is great on the lock screen to invoke camera or flashlight.
    chiawatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Why would they remove 3D Touch, it is on every Apple device (with a touchscreen/ trackpad) now except for the iPhone SE, MacBook Air, and Apple TV remote, and it is quite possible 2 of these devices may be discontinued before the year is over.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 66
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    vukasika said:
    claire1 said:
    If it really was that useful, it would not be underutilized

Speaking for myself, it’s been a cosmetic add-on to one amongst a variously pointless set of iOS updates (I forget which). 
    How many people use control center? Just because something is underutilized doesn’t mean it isn’t useful. People get stuck in their ways and don’t like to try new things.
    chiauraharaclaire1
  • Reply 30 of 66
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:
    "AirPod 2" I've been waiting and waiting. (Please, Apple?)

My dream:
    A new iPhone SE with larger screen realestate, 3D touch, "Reachability", and AirPods2 bundled in-box.
    For this, I will pay you anything you ask, Apple. ANYTHING!!
    So you want the SE, but with a larger screen? I don't know about the bundle, but the phone you want already exists..it's called the iPhone 8. :wink: 
    I said bigger "screen", not bigger "handset".
    netmageking editor the gratewatto_cobraclaire1GeorgeBMacbaconstang
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    More controversially, it is "widely understood" by the supply chain that the iPhone lineup in the fall of 2019 will lack 3D Touch. Barclays notes that the plans are not finalized, so the feature may appear, and it may not. It isn't clear why a future iPhone would lack the feature, given that it works fine on the iPhone X.
    Bullshit. Can you guys please stop reporting every thought some sell side analyst vomits out? Apple suppliers aren’t going to leak plans to Wall Street analysts (and that’s assuming they even know what those plans are).
    I don't feel like you read the article.
    Sure I did. Apple may get rid of 3D Touch, they may not. How is that newsworthy. Nothing in this note seems anything more than pure speculation.
    Agreed. 
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Personally I'm extremely skeptical that 3D Touch would be deprecated.

Apple has always had interface paradigms that languished in obscurity for years before picking up.

For example, most of my friends still don't know about tap-to-click on the trackpad. I couldn't live without it. And another example is how the gyro was largely never used until the current crop of AR applications have needed it. Well, raise-to-wake has been around for a couple years but that's still a decade of dormant gyros prior to that (if not 2 decades).
    edited August 2018 king editor the gratewatto_cobrauraharaclaire1
  • Reply 33 of 66
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    IreneW said:
    vukasika said:
    claire1 said:
    Yeah, you beat me too it.  It's probably one of the most useful and under-utilized features on the phone..
    You nailed it with "under-utilized", and that is also the reason it is doomed to be removed. 
    For developers the problem is that not all devices have 3D touch, so there must always be an alternative way of accessing a feature. And there is no way to provide a hint to users that 3D touch does something, they must try or guess. This makes for a very confusing UX, far from Apple's guidelines and good practice. 
    This. I have it disabled on my phone. I’d rather not have it than have it be an inconsistent experience.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    With Apple’s focus on a TV subscription service, I want to see them release HomePod Cinema — an Atmos-enabled soundbar that uses their engineering and room-optimization magic to deliver a best-in-class 360 surround sound experience. Now that, I would buy.
    canukstormwatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 35 of 66
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Ah. Airpods 2 was what I was waiting on to pull the trigger, but I guess I'll wait till the september event just in case. 
    backstabwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 66
    I observe myself undergoing a specific pattern with Apple products: years back I updated my Mac every year, either upgrading RAM, CPU, etc or moving to a new Mac entirely. Each time I felt more or less wowed by the speed increase, display improvement etc. Yea, I totally like the current lineup of Macs. But I don’t feel I need something new anytime soon. It just works and suits my needs. 
    Same pattern for iPhone. I went through each revision, then I was on the s-cycle.  Now I’m at a point where the phone fulfills all needs and whole interested in the new models I don’t see any need to move to the new models. Same with iPad (Pro). 
    instwad I’m more focusing on other products. I’d be interested in the next gen watch it’s potentially replacing my LTE 3rd gen. Or get more HomePods with more features. I finally moved to the 4K ATV and never looked back to the previous generation. AirPods - I’m curious about the next gen. 
    So moving away from regular updates of the “core” products at the same time longing for updates on the “peripheral” products. 
    king editor the gratewatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 37 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Or state clearly whether AI paid for these reports or they were given to AI. The context matters, and writing “seen by AI” uses the passive voice which removes subject detail and is generally to
    be avoided. 
    I have answered this question several times already. I will not do so again.
    When you answered it before you also said that AI doesn’t write it in this vague, passive-voice style, yet here it is — they do. They write it this way every time, making it unclear, every time. 

Since this source is not Kuo your answer from before doesn’t mean it’s the same here. Thus, asking for more detail in the story. It’s not a bad thing to include useful detail, it’s a value add. I’m giving AI feedback via this comment on what I find valuable in a story and what would add even more value. 
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 38 of 66
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    With Apple’s focus on a TV subscription service, I want to see them release HomePod Cinema — an Atmos-enabled soundbar that uses their engineering and room-optimization magic to deliver a best-in-class 360 surround sound experience. Now that, I would buy.
    That would be awesome.
    watto_cobraclaire1patchythepirate
  • Reply 39 of 66
    longfanglongfang Posts: 452member
    Re homespods. i would have gotten at least 2 of them if apple had decided to sell them where i live.
    watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 40 of 66
    I like 3D Touch, but struggle sometimes not to activate it. If trying to follow a link or copy an image, I repeatedly touch it more and more gently to avoid invoking 3D. I haven't found a way to adjust sensitivity in Settings. When I struggle with an Apple product, I tend to accept blame, knowing there must be a simple solution I'm too obtuse to discover.
    Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility and scroll down a tad bit for 3D Touch. There, you’ll be able to adjust its sensitivity