LCD 2018 'A12' iPhone expected to dominate sales, two dual-SIM models exclusive to China

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2018
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has slightly refined predictions for the 2018 iPhone lineup, with the analyst seeing the LCD 6.1-inch model beating out the 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED models in sales volume for the next three quarters.

As previously predicted, Kuo in a note to investors seen by AppleInsider reiterated his belief that the two new OLED iPhone models will be available in September. However, the widely anticipated 6.1-inch lower-cost LCD iPhone model will be made available to consumers a bit later.

Kuo continues to maintain that the new 6.1-inch LCD and 6.5-inch OLED iPhone models will have single-SIM and dual-SIM versions. At present, it does not appear that the dual-SIM models will be available in the United States.

The less expensive LCD model is not expected to have the A11 processor as found in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Kuo believes that the it will equipped with the "A12," the same as the OLED models. This model is expected to seize between 50 percent and 55 percent of the total unit sales by the end of calendar year 2018, and up to 70 percent in the beginning of 2019.

Contrary to other reports, Kuo predicts that the new iPhone models will not support the Apple Pencil, as "it does not currently offer a good user experience," according to the report.

The three iPhone models currently speculated to arrive this fall include two models with OLED screens measuring 6.5 inches and 5.8 inches, while a third is equipped with a 6.1-inch TFT LCD. Most sources now claim that all three will have the TrueDepth camera array and use Face ID, but the LCD model will be positioned in the product line-up as a cost-effective model, while the OLED versions will have more premium pricing and specifications.

Multiple reports have indicated that the 5.8- and 6.5-inch phones will have OLED displays, while the 6.1-inch model will use an LCD. The 6.1-inch LCD phone is expected to cost around $600-700, while the 5.8-inch model slots in at between $800 and 900, with the 6.5-inch model coming in at least $999.

Foxconn will continue to be the main iPhone assembler this year, with it said to handle all 5.8-inch OLED units and 80 to 90 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED version, as well as 30 percent of LCD model orders. Pegatron is said to be taking 60 percent of the LCD orders and between 10 and 15 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED model orders, while Wistron makes up the remainder.

The reveal event for the 2018 iPhone lineup is expected to be on September 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Apple is NOT going to put dual SIMs in their devices. They are trying to eliminate physical SIMs entirely. They succeeded with the Apple Watch.
    olswatto_cobra1983
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If Apple put dual SIMs support, there is no reason for Apple to restrict to China. Will find out on Sept 12th. If 6.1" iPhone outsells other two in big number than it proves old saying "price does matter"!!
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I would be surprised, but very pleased, if Apple adds dual-SIM models. While traveling abroad, I’d love to be able to use both my home SIM card and a SIM card from the country I’m currently in. Many times a local number is required. 
    philboogietoysandme
  • Reply 4 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I highly doubt Apple ever makes dual SIM. Look at that market...super small number of users require that. Also, a lot of App based second phone lines are available on top of Facebook call, FaceTime audio, Skype, Snapchat, Viber and other shits...Dual SIM phone is gimmick.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra1983
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I'm torn on Dual Sim. I do agree it seems crazy to have dual for some markets and not for others. But also, is it a differentiator in any market. At least the last few times I traveled abroad, i picked up a hot spot and used it for both Wifi calling and data. Super easy. But somehow I still want that capability.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    wood1208 said:
    If Apple put dual SIMs support, there is no reason for Apple to restrict to China. Will find out on Sept 12th. If 6.1" iPhone outsells other two in big number than it proves old saying "price does matter"!!
    Price matters. But companies like Apple are an outlier. To people like us who buy them(1.4 Billion) price does not matter.
    philboogie
  • Reply 7 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    fallenjt said:
    I highly doubt Apple ever makes dual SIM. Look at that market...super small number of users require that. Also, a lot of App based second phone lines are available on top of Facebook call, FaceTime audio, Skype, Snapchat, Viber and other shits...Dual SIM phone is gimmick.
    Dual SIM is in no way a gimmick.

For many people it is dual SIM or needing two phones (normally work and private) and if they don't want to carry two phones, Apple loses. Other people (frequent travellers) can also benefit from dual SIM.

On many dual SIM phones the second slot can be used for microSD cards although some recent phones have removed this second use option and I imagine if Apple were to go dual SIM, it would continue the trend. 

I agree that dual SIM would be useful worldwide and should not be limited to China.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 12
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This...again!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    wood1208 said:
    Price matters. But companies like Apple are an outlier. To people like us who buy them(1.4 Billion) price does not matter.
    Not all of the 1.4 Billion people buy Apple products every year, right? The replacement rate seems to be slowing down, so "price does matter" even to the substantial portion of 1.4 Billion Apple product owners.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    THe key point is not “dual-SIM”. The key point is “restricted to China”. If I were you, I would not use “restricted to China” iPhone outside mainland China. Apple might have been surrendered (same as iCloud) to allow live monitoring of iPhone voice and data communications by the Chinese Communist Party. Dual-SIM has practical reason roaming within CHIna provinces and travelling outside China while maintaining restriction barring access to Facebook, Google and YouTube etc. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    If Apple is trying to eliminate physical sims, as in the current Apple Watch 3, then couldn't they do that with the new iPhone? And if so, why not emulate dual sims? Perhaps not this year, but a very possible future that is easy to imagine.
  • Reply 12 of 12

wood1208 said:
    Not all of the 1.4 Billion people buy Apple products every year, right? The replacement rate seems to be slowing down, so "price does matter" even to the substantial portion of 1.4 Billion Apple product owners.
    Price definitely matters; Apple will sell fewer of a given model the higher the price goes. But longer replacement cycles are happening irrespective of price. I like the 4.7” form factor, but I haven’t replaced my 6s with an 8 because it’s plenty fast, and I don’t need any of the newer features. Since the 6s/SE, iPhones are now “fast enough” to go 3-5 years. I’ll pay $700 for a new phone but when that will be won’t be based on my needing a faster phone.
    edited September 2018