Everything new with Siri in iOS 12

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    • Ask Siri to show your passwords 

Asking for the password for a specific application or service will open up the Settings application and show the relevant section containing passwords.

Have I missed the point here? Isn’t this a huge security hole?

I mean Siri is not multi-voice/multi-account aware (now that would be a feature worth having) so could someone just pick up my iDevice and say “Show me the password for ‘specific application/service’” and the relevant section showing passwords would be displayed?

cgWerks
  • Reply 22 of 29
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Far out.  Currently 22 total comments with 13 highly critical, 2 positive (not including the Apple troll Nunzy) and the rest non-committal.  The sample group is tiny I guess but a damning cross section particularly given AI is the forum. 
    nunzy
  • Reply 23 of 29
    I agree: unless Siri can handle SIMPLE follow-up questions (retain context), it's way too annoying to bother. For years now Siri keeps misspelling my wife's name too. I must have typed (and corrected!) it 200+ times in messages, emails, etc. Nope, doesn't take that into account. Keeps spelling it wrong when I dictate. Sometimes I really wonder if anyone at Apple is using their own technology...? They are all too busy counting the money they make on overpriced products. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple. I have run on Apple for 30 years and I'm not planning on switching anytime soon. But this is getting ridiculous. If I pay such hefty sums for their stuff, I expect the best, nothing short.
    edited August 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Will Siri now be able to schedule commands for HomeKit enabled devices? For example, Turn on the living room air conditioner at 3:00.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    chasm said:
    The one area where I wish Siri could match Google assistant is in the question "what time does (business) on (street) close tonight?"
    I just tried this. I used “Hey, Siri” and asked what time a local restaurant closes tonight. The response I received gave me the restaurant name, address and hours, so “...is open from 9 am to 9:30 pm today.”

Is that different from what you are looking for?

Edit: when I asked for the closing time of a 99 Restaurant in a specified town Siri presented me with a list of 7 “near me”. The one I had requested was the first in the list even though it wasn’t the closest to me. When I tapped it Siri gave me the hours for today. When I modified my request using the street instead of the town the same thing happened but the list was down to 5, my request still the first option. 

edited August 2018
  • Reply 26 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    entropys said:
    Is Siri Shortcuts a necessary work around because Siri is too stupid to understand a simple instruction without having it wired in? Discuss
    No. EOD
  • Reply 27 of 29
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    ihatescreennames said:
    I've never tried having Siri answer a call, while driving or not.  In the car I just push a button on the steering wheel to answer incoming calls.  I also use Siri to play specific playlists all the time.
    Siri should probably work w/o CarPlay or special buttons, though. Isn't the idea to make smartphones hands-free?

Yeah, I wish I could get it to play a playlist, but it just tells me it can't because I don't have cellular data enabled (which I do)... and going directly to Music and pushing play (when I pull over) works just fine.

entropys said:
    Is Siri Shortcuts a necessary work around because Siri is too stupid to understand a simple instruction without having it wired in? Discuss
    No. EOD
    That is my guess. AI pretty much sucks, so they are going a more sure route. If you setup a Shortcut and associate it with a command, you get guaranteed results, not broken skip logic.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Siri has a much smaller capability envelop than any other voice assistant. But within that envelope, it's very capable, and I use it daily, both on my Watch and iPhone. I look forward to getting a HomePod so I Siri is as convenient Alexa, however limited Siri is.