New HomePod, 'AirPods 2,' death of 3D Touch all expected in 2019

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    vukasika said:
    claire1 said:
    3D Touch better have a better alternative if Apple dares remove it!
    Yeah, you beat me too it.  It's probably one of the most useful and under-utilized features on the phone. I can only imagine it becoming even more useful when the home button goes the way of the dinosaur.
    If it really was that useful, it would not be underutilized

Speaking for myself, it’s been a cosmetic add-on to one amongst a variously pointless set of iOS updates (I forget which). 
    How many people use control center? Just because something is underutilized doesn’t mean it isn’t useful. People get stuck in their ways and don’t like to try new things.
    Um... this article isn’t about the control center rumored to be jettisoned because it’s being underutilized.

As an aside, I use CC a fair amount. 3D Touch? Zero. 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 42 of 66
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    “Early calendar year launch for a new product in 2019” likely the redesigned Mac Pro I’d imagine? As for 3D Touch possibly biting the dust. That would be a shame, but not surprising...I’ve had my 8 Plus for nearly a year now and have never found the need to use it. It’s definately of limited functionality IMO.
    edited August 2018 baconstang
  • Reply 43 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    More controversially, it is "widely understood" by the supply chain that the iPhone lineup in the fall of 2019 will lack 3D Touch. Barclays notes that the plans are not finalized, so the feature may appear, and it may not. It isn't clear why a future iPhone would lack the feature, given that it works fine on the iPhone X.
    Bullshit. Can you guys please stop reporting every thought some sell side analyst vomits out? Apple suppliers aren’t going to leak plans to Wall Street analysts (and that’s assuming they even know what those plans are).
    Or state clearly whether AI paid for these reports or they were given to AI. The context matters, and writing “seen by AI” uses the passive voice which removes subject detail and is generally to
    be avoided. 
    I have answered this question several times already. I will not do so again.
    When you answered it before you also said that AI doesn’t write it in this vague, passive-voice style, yet here it is — they do. They write it this way every time, making it unclear, every time. 

Since this source is not Kuo your answer from before doesn’t mean it’s the same here. Thus, asking for more detail in the story. It’s not a bad thing to include useful detail, it’s a value add. I’m giving AI feedback via this comment on what I find valuable in a story and what would add even more value. 
    It's possible that you missed the post -- no matter. We do not pay analysts for notes, nor are they particularly happy with us, as we point out contradictions or issues with the reports. As a result, we aren't given paid ones either. Many are freely available, and contrary to public opinion, we do not run them all. We discuss less than 10%, and take note of ones with claims like the 3D Touch here so we can at the very least get it on record and call them out later.

We acquire them from other sources, which we will not divulge. So, we see the notes, and because of all this, the phrase is not nearly as passive as you may expect. Because we do not breathlessly cover them all like gospel, that is why we are generally not first with them.
    edited August 2018 gatorguyGeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamclaire1patchythepirate
  • Reply 44 of 66
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 108member
    backstab said:
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:
    "AirPod 2" I've been waiting and waiting. (Please, Apple?)

My dream:
    A new iPhone SE with larger screen realestate, 3D touch, "Reachability", and AirPods2 bundled in-box.
    For this, I will pay you anything you ask, Apple. ANYTHING!!
    So you want the SE, but with a larger screen? I don't know about the bundle, but the phone you want already exists..it's called the iPhone 8. :wink: 
    I said bigger "screen", not bigger "handset".

If the SE screen grew only very slightly... just expanded with same aspect ratio to the same as current SE body width but with minimal ('no' ) side bezels like the X, then that would be fine with the chin/forehead removed, or just keep it 4" in OLED with all bezels gone like the X to give a great mini phone...

I'm hoping for this mini but full featured option (with option for enough ram to store all my lossless music) to replace the iPhone 6 I got handed down from the wife... produce it in a titanium body so no worry about minor wear/tear so can also forget about needing any case.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 45 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I like 3D Touch, but struggle sometimes not to activate it. If trying to follow a link or copy an image, I repeatedly touch it more and more gently to avoid invoking 3D. I haven't found a way to adjust sensitivity in Settings. When I struggle with an Apple product, I tend to accept blame, knowing there must be a simple solution I'm too obtuse to discover.
    Nope. You are not to blame here.
    king editor the gratebaconstang
  • Reply 46 of 66
    kiowavt said:
    I turned 3D Touch off. More annoying than useful. There are so many fans here I may try it again. But at this point I will not even blink if it’s gone.
    I prefer long press because it’s more difficult than 3D to initiate accidentally. Similarly, reachability should be off by default.
    edited August 2018 GeorgeBMacbaconstang
  • Reply 47 of 66
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    claire1 said:
    When I first used 3D Touch it reminded me of when contextual menus finally made it to the Mac.  No going back now, it's a UI gem.
    stompykingofsomewherehotclaire1welshdog
  • Reply 48 of 66
    eightzero said:
    I am skeptical of Apple making anything cheaper to appear to a larger market. Making a cheaper HomePod sounds very un-apple-esque to me. But then, HomePod doesn't really appeal to me, so I can see others feeling differently about it. 
    The idea is they can do a small bedside speaker version, as they have proven they can do a larger great sounding version. Just as they started with iPod and then mini. Two to meet more needs and price points. Obviously it will likely be HomePod mini. Not a cheap version of HomePod, but an additional, more affordable model.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 49 of 66
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:
    A new iPhone SE with larger screen realestate, 3D touch, "Reachability", and AirPods2 bundled in-box.
    So you want the SE, but with a larger screen? I don't know about the bundle, but the phone you want already exists..it's called the iPhone 8. :wink: 
    Uh no...   Those who like the SE for its size like it because of its external size.  The frame of the 8 is far bigger than the SE so that is a false comparison.

If Apple continues with the SE, eventually it will have a full face screen like the X.   That will keep the external frame size but give it a larger screen size.  Unfortunately, that will also increase its cost somewhat -- which is a feature other SE fans like.
    williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 50 of 66
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:
    Uh no...   Those who like the SE for its size like it because of its external size.  The frame of the 8 is far bigger than the SE so that is a false comparison.

If Apple continues with the SE, eventually it will have a full face screen like the X.   That will keep the external frame size but give it a larger screen size.  Unfortunately, that will also increase its cost somewhat -- which is a feature other SE fans like.
    iPhone X on the left, iPhone SE on the right. There's not a giant difference in size.

edited August 2018 stompyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 51 of 66
    It's giant if you're trying to reach a "back button" on the top left corner with your thumb.

Fixed:

Lol. Okay yeah I misread his point. Still… shifting those photos to the baseline lends weight to his argument, though… if they don't release an X Mini next year I'll lose my mind
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Eric_WVGG said:
    It's giant if you're trying to reach a "back button" on the top left corner with your thumb. 
    That's got more to do with screen size than it does with device size.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 53 of 66
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:

iPhone X on the left, iPhone SE on the right. There's not a giant difference in size.

That’s a X with no case and SE with an ugly, wide case. Here’s a better photo to size compare with both without cases. Very different sizes.

edited August 2018 williamlondonGeorgeBMacbaconstangbackstab
  • Reply 54 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,177member
    For myself, and after several years using ever larger display handsets, I've recently gained a new-found appreciation for a smaller smartphone. The OG Pixel (not the XL) is actually a very nice size and has completely changed my future buying preferences. I could go even smaller, and probably will, and still be happy. A sub-5" display in a smaller form-factor sounds nice. I find myself rarely viewing videos longer than a minute or two on my phones anymore, and that was the primary plus for my bigger phones: Watching a show or short movie. 

With it being significantly larger than the iPhone SE I get that some folks might think the new phones feel massive in comparison. 

Fun Fact: The iPhone X is roughly the same overall size (tho heavier) as the original 2016 Google Pixel. 
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 55 of 66
    ireland said:
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:

That’s a X with no case and SE with an ugly, wide case. Here’s a better photo to size compare with both without cases. Very different sizes.

I have both devices here. I'd be happy to take more pictures of whatever angle you want.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 56 of 66
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    robbyx said:
    IreneW said:
    vukasika said:
    claire1 said:
    Yeah, you beat me too it.  It's probably one of the most useful and under-utilized features on the phone..
    You nailed it with "under-utilized", and that is also the reason it is doomed to be removed. 
    For developers the problem is that not all devices have 3D touch, so there must always be an alternative way of accessing a feature. And there is no way to provide a hint to users that 3D touch does something, they must try or guess. This makes for a very confusing UX, far from Apple's guidelines and good practice. 
    This. I have it disabled on my phone. I’d rather not have it than have it be an inconsistent experience.
    They're not removing the option to disable it so why are you guys crying?

With Apple’s focus on a TV subscription service, I want to see them release HomePod Cinema — an Atmos-enabled soundbar that uses their engineering and room-optimization magic to deliver a best-in-class 360 surround sound experience. Now that, I would buy.

I made a crazy prediction that they would announce a soundbar last keynote. Let's hope they do it this time!! With option for HomePod surround speakers!

tipoo said:
    Ah. Airpods 2 was what I was waiting on to pull the trigger, but I guess I'll wait till the september event just in case. 

AirPods 2 with touch volume controls like someone here mentioned. Slide finger down to turn down, up for more volume.

Why would they remove 3D Touch, it is on every Apple device (with a touchscreen/ trackpad) now except for the iPhone SE, MacBook Air, and Apple TV remote, and it is quite possible 2 of these devices may be discontinued before the year is over.

I've been begging for a solid state remote with Taptic Engine. This would make so much sense. People know to click.

The other day I was having lunch with three iPhone users and none of them knew that 3D touch was even a feature when I brought it up. Even knowing about it, I practically never use it. Cursor moving is the only thing I've actually found useful.

I think part of the problem is Apple allow the user to set it up. There should be a screen when setting up your iPhone that explains what it is and allows the user to set the sensitivity.

Someone earlier said they always invoke TouchID by accident. If someone is a Hercules they can set the threshold higher on the welcome screen.

• Reply 57 of 66
    Eric_WVGG said:

Fixed:

Lol. Okay yeah I misread his point. Still… shifting those photos to the baseline lends weight to his argument, though… if they don't release an X Mini next year I'll lose my mind
    I use regularly an SE, a 6s and a X. Die to my hand size I can only really use the SE with one hand. Actually, the X despite being a tad larger is easier to cope with using one hand than the 6s due to being less slippery and providing an overall better grip. If they’d rethink the UI such that it is „bottom-Right“ centered instead of „top-left“ (meaning I can reach crucial items of he UI with my right hand side thumb) I feel I’d easily leave the SE behind and not look back. 
  • Reply 58 of 66
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Eric_WVGG said:

Fixed:

A better idea would be the an X-style SE with the SAME screen size. Now that would be hand-held beautifully! And be much smaller than X.

We discuss less than 10%, and take note of ones with claims like the 3D Touch here so we can at the very least get it on record and call them out later.

We acquire them from other sources, which we will not divulge. So, we see the notes, and because of all this, the phrase is not nearly as passive as you may expect. Because we do not breathlessly cover them all like gospel, that is why we are generally not first with them.

Nice!
  • Reply 59 of 66
    ireland said:
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:

I have both devices here. I'd be happy to take more pictures of whatever angle you want.
    If you want to compare clearly both without cases is a must, but I’ve uploaded such a photo, so there’s no need now. I’d like a full-screen SE, but not a X sized device. I know what size it is compared to my SE because I’ve used both phones and find it physically too large.
    edited August 2018 GeorgeBMacbaconstang
  • Reply 60 of 66
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:

Both without cases would be a start, if you want to compare sizes. I’d like a full-screen SE, but not a X sized device.
    Top to bottom, iPhone X, iPhone 5 (the SE is in use, sorry), iPhone 4