Apple issues second macOS High Sierra Supplemental Update for 2018 MacBook Pro users

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2018
Apple has issued a second supplemental update for macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, a patch intended to be used by the latest MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models, in order to improve the "stability and reliability" of the operating system.

Released on Tuesday, the update is aimed at fixing problems with the 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models, refreshed in July. Apple's support page advises that it is "recommended for all users" of the model.

The first Supplemental Update arrived shortly after the release of the 2018 MacBook Pro range, where it was discovered a software flaw in thermal management software caused excessive throttling under heavy loads. Before the update, the new MacBook Pro versions were found to be slower than earlier versions under throttling, with the patch fixing the issue.

The patch could potentially include a fix for another component, the T2 chip, introduced in the iMac Pro as well as the new MacBook Pro. The T2 sub-processor is intended to handle a number of functions on behalf of the processor, including managing FaceTime camera image quality, regulating boot security, encrypting and decrypting data to flash storage, and powering "Hey Siri vocal prompts for Apple's digital assistant.

Complaints have surfaced in Apple's support forums where a Mac crashes, enters a kernel panic, and either requiring a reboot or restarting itself automatically. A common trait found in error messages is the mention of Bridge OS, an embedded operating system used by the T2 chip, suggesting the problem lies there.

The total file size is 1.3 gigabytes, though specific changes made to the part are not apparent at present. AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for details of the contents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I am guessing that part of that has to do with sound crackling problems and maybe further refinements on the fan/power/throttle profile (though likely small in nature).
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    bkkcanuck said:
    I am guessing that part of that has to do with sound crackling problems.  
    It could. History suggests it might.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    While Apple's support page advises it is aimed at these models, it also notes the update is "recommended for all users."
    That means "recommended for all users of the 2018 MacBook Pro". The update refuses to install on other models (looking at the script in the installer, it requires the specific board ID of the 13-inch or 15-inch 2018 MacBook Pro). The model requirement is implied by the page title of the support article but is not explicitly stated either in the body text or the System Requirements section. The first supplemental update was the same.
    PickUrPoison
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I am unable to install this update to my brand new 2018 15" MacBook Pro i9. I keep getting error 602. I have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    fafafafa Posts: 1member
    Ok so I got my MacBook Pro i7 2.6, 512 ssd 2 days ago and yesterday I I had no sound and no output/input sound card available. I don't think I had any crackles coming from the speakers before this. This update resolved my problem (thank God, was thinking on returning it ). Still a bit unsure about the quality of this supposed to be premium product, though...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I had some weird audio hiccups with my 2018 2.6, I don't recall any crackling, but mostly random silence. Hopefully this covered it. So far so good from what I can tell.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 7 of 9
    SFASFA Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Having issues: won't update or boot up. Stuck in power cycle. I'm using 2017 desktop not laptop
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I keep getting an error whenever I try to update. Anyone else having that issue?  2018 MacBook pr 13" 2.3GHz
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Tailstoo, same here, same model. It reboots to an installer screen with an option to save an installer log. The computer is rendered unusable unless reinstalling the OS in recovery mode, and then the reinstalled OS does NOT include the supplemental update. Updating the OS repeats the problem. 

One other weird issue is that after installing the update the computer exhibits weird screen glitches (momentary flashy lines) that seem to happen during user login. 

I returned this computer to the Apple store and got an identical one, and repeated this sequence of events with exactly the same result. For me, it’s a 2 hour round trip each time. I’ve done it twice and I have to go back again to return the second computer. 

The local Apple Store says they can do nothing extra to compensate me for my time or trouble. I’m debating whether it’s time to end a 29 year relationship with Apple. 

The little expensive Apple logo that used to be accompanied by a premium computing experience and good customer service now appears to be nothing more than an expensive logo. 
    edited October 2018