Apple issues AirPort Express firmware update adding support for AirPlay 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    What are the chances of the appletv 2 getting an update for airplay 2?  That would make my entire multi-room setup airplay 2 compatible without buying anything.  
    edited August 2018 libertyforallracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 63
    … Install went fine, much faster than I recall older Airport firmware updates. Probably my imagination.

Mac played for about 30 seconds then the audio disappeared. iPad has been playing fine for several minutes. Withholding judgement until Mojave.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 63
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    sevenfeet said:
    sflocal said:
    It breaks my heart that Apple discontinued their Airport products.  They are by far the best built, most reliable units I've ever owned.  Sure, others like DLink, NetGer, Linksys, etc.. may have more features for tech-savvy people, but their quality is crap, are unstable, and always require a restart.

What a shame.
    This is true.  My airports have been far more reliable than anything else from other vendors in my house.  A Netgear R8000 I have still needs weekly reboots on the current firmware.

The bigger shame is that Apple literally invented the Wifi base station market using co-developed technology manufactured by Lucent.  For a while, Apple was the only or best base station you could buy for Macs or PCs, period.
    Yeah, would be nice. I’d be happy if they simply continued to update the AirPort products to all the latest wireless technology. I’m more than happy to use AirPort Extreme with wired ethernet backhaul to AirPort Express units, one on each floor of my house, everything with same SSID. I really don’t see where a mesh setup would be much of an improvement, especially when the Apple gear has been a breeze to configure and administer for my needs. I’ve had Cisco, NetGear, TPLink, etc., equipment in the past and nothing I’ve had comes remotely close in reliability to Apple. If you’re ever itching for a tortuous way to waste several hours, try engaging technical support reps from some of the aforementioned non-Apple companies when something goes wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Now that I’ve updated, is there a way to start playing music on my HomePod and have it also sent to the AirPort Express?  I know I can select them both with my phone but I want to give Siri a command to play it on both.
    libertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 63
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    Now that I’ve updated, is there a way to start playing music on my HomePod and have it also sent to the AirPort Express?  I know I can select them both with my phone but I want to give Siri a command to play it on both.
    Same question
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 63
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    sflocal said:
    DLink, NetGer, Linksys, etc.. 
    I agree that those vendors were awful. The new generation of mesh routers though — Plume, Eero, Google Home — blow them and Apple's offerings out of the water. [edit] Netgear has a new mesh line called Orbi, and Linksys has the Velop series that the article mentions above. No thanks, been burned by both companies too many times.

I kind of wish Apple would acquire Plume or Eero, but whatevs. There are good options now, and mesh can extend your home network range without cutting the speed in half with every hop.
    I am all for mesh networks for people in MacMansions, but for city apartments they are useless.  Meanwhile none of them support Time Capsule, printers, AirPlay 2 to any receiver in the universe via TOSlink, etc. etc. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 63
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    NY1822 said:
    my apologies but can someone explain to me what this means...in terms of benefits...im a little ignorant on this topic...does it connect 3rd party speakers to airplay 2? any help would be appreciated 
    https://www.whathifi.com/advice/apple-airplay-2-everything-you-need-to-know ;
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 63
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    sevenfeet said:
    sflocal said:
    It breaks my heart that Apple discontinued their Airport products.  They are by far the best built, most reliable units I've ever owned.  Sure, others like DLink, NetGer, Linksys, etc.. may have more features for tech-savvy people, but their quality is crap, are unstable, and always require a restart.

What a shame.
    This is true.  My airports have been far more reliable than anything else from other vendors in my house.  A Netgear R8000 I have still needs weekly reboots on the current firmware.

The bigger shame is that Apple literally invented the Wifi base station market using co-developed technology manufactured by Lucent.  For a while, Apple was the only or best base station you could buy for Macs or PCs, period.
    Maybe they did not get plenty of sells across the globe . I mean I have got 2 in my house , but now even cheap routers seem to have apps that make functionality quite user friendly. I guess Apple saw that and streamlined their future products.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 63
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    This is great news! Finally, I can sit in my backyard and say "Siri play some music in the backyard."
    zroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Does it apply to the 2008-2012 sold 802.11n Airport Express  (Gen 1)?
    Apparently not. As of now (several hours after the release), it has yet to appear on my AirPort Utility.

(EDIT) I just realized it was already answered. But I'd like to point out that this device have been distributing WiFi in my 2,000 sq ft apartment for the past 8 years! I barely remember it's there! I truly dread the day it craps out and I'll have to make do with some other brand...

Just this last time: "Not cool Apple!"
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Great news! Just updated my Airport Expresses. Thank you, Apple, for this update.

Now, since the Airport Express is not longer sold, Apple and/or one or more other vendors need to offer an Airplay 2 device with an audio line level output to connect to stereo receivers, powered speakers, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 63
    ted13 said:

I am all for mesh networks for people in MacMansions, but for city apartments they are useless.  Meanwhile none of them support Time Capsule, printers, AirPlay 2 to any receiver in the universe via TOSlink, etc. etc. 
    My dude, I live in a loft in Brooklyn, I worked out a deal with my neighbors to share a single basic cable connection, we're all on 150mbs for like $5/month. Goes really far when nobody is home at the same time. Bought a box of Plumes and gave everyone one.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Apparently not. As of now (several hours after the release), it has yet to appear on my AirPort Utility.

(EDIT) I just realized it was already answered. But I'd like to point out that this device have been distributing WiFi in my 2,000 sq ft apartment for the past 8 years! I barely remember it's there! I truly dread the day it craps out and I'll have to make do with some other brand...

Not cool that a device from 8 years ago doesn’t get an update?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 63
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Apple's docs are a bit confusing, so I was holding out some hope. This says the latest firmware for the "AirPort Express 802.11n" is 7.8, and for the "AirPort Express (original)" is 6.3:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201519

However, all my 2008 A1264s (1st gen n) are on 7.6.9.

Just to be 100% sure, I tried loading Airport Utility 5.6.1 on my Mac mini to see if that might allow an update, but no dice. Too bad, but no big deal since they still work as AirPlay 1 targets fine. And if anyone wonders why people care, you can get these things on Ebay for around ~$20/ea so they're a bargain. And they got the last firmware update, so it was worth hoping for. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Lol, there were quite a few commenters poo-pooing the chance of this ever happening when discussed previously.  Good work, Apple!
    Yep, I decided to round them up and give them a shout out.  This way we know to give their predictions (especially in such absolutest terms) the respect they deserve.  And the Hall of Fame-rs are:

@Hagar --Just let it go already. This is never going to happen. 
    @Metriacanthosaurus --Flat out: Not happening.

Honorable mentions:

@Fallenjt --AirPort Express hardware is too old. It doesn't even support 802.11 AC. 
    @Pbrutto --
    Not only has their been no indication of a router update but their have been multiple stories saying Apple is completely out of the router business now going back months. So, why do you think they may be updated?
    @Bradford_kirby --
    The airport express is over.

There were a few more that could have been put in the honorable mention category, but their comments seemed more like reasonable opinions than snarky critiques of Apple and the fans that held out hope that Apple could squeeze a little more life out of a great product that is riding into the sunset.

edited August 2018 zroger73fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Apple's docs are a bit confusing, so I was holding out some hope. This says the latest firmware for the "AirPort Express 802.11n" is 7.8, and for the "AirPort Express (original)" is 6.3:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201519

However, all my 2008 A1264s (1st gen n) are on 7.6.9.

Just to be 100% sure, I tried loading Airport Utility 5.6.1 on my Mac mini to see if that might allow an update, but no dice. Too bad, but no big deal since they still work as AirPlay 1 targets fine. And if anyone wonders why people care, you can get these things on Ebay for around ~$20/ea so they're a bargain. And they got the last firmware update, so it was worth hoping for. :)
    I agree that it is a little unclear at a minumum.  Apple needs to either update the entry for AirPort Express to 7.6.9 or simply add an entry for the AirPort Express (Original) in the row where 7.6.9 is listed and delete the seperate row for AirPort Express (Original).  
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 63
    lukei said:

Not cool that a device from 8 years ago doesn’t get an update?
    Not cool for Apple to have discontinued the line... I know that software support eventually drops, I'm still with my iPad 2, and no complains there!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 63
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    I'm still a big fan of the Apple Airports. I think I've owned every one! Here's a resource page I made to keep track of which one is which.

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/lrm22/airport/airport.html

Very happy to see Apple providing updates even if no future models are likely.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 63
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    MIC...DROP!!!

THANK YOU, Apple. This somewhat offsets your refusal to issue a warranty exception for the discoloration inside my iMac Retina's screen even though others are experiencing the same issue.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 63
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Fantastic to see this!  Thanks Apple! Both of my units updated without a hitch. They are ethernet wired and simply used to drive hi-fi systems in the kitchen and dining room.  Great to now be able to select both and have individual volume controls ( and global ) and walk between rooms with sound beautifully in sync. Yay!  :smiley: 
    zroger73watto_cobra