Tesla debuts - then pulls - portable Qi wireless charger with ho-hum specs

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2018
A new $65 iPhone charger, using the Qi standard, appeared on Tesla's website Tuesday -- but had mysteriously disappeared by the end of the night.

Tesla's since-pulled iPhone charger

In a rare piece of recent news about Tesla Motors that didn't center on the increasingly erratic behavior of founder/CEO Elon Musk or his quixotic, since-abandoned effort to take the company private, Tesla Tuesday introduced a new iPhone charging product. But by that night, the charger was gone from Tesla's website, with its URL redirecting to Tesla's general e-commerce website.

According to a cached version of the website, the Tesla Wireless Charger is described as a "6000mAh (22.2Wh) battery-powered inductive charging pad that features the same design language used in our energy products, like Powerwall. In addition to wirelessly charging your device, you can also power up your phone with the integrated USB-C cable."

For devices without USB-C, a more traditional USB-A port accommodates charging on the go. A built-in USB-A cable, integrated in the charger's perimeter, is used to juice up the portable pack.

Tesla's charger

The product's $65 price point is, or was, a bit high for a charger of its kind, especially one without a large battery cell and a wireless module that outputs only 5W of juice. Apple's iPhone 8 and iPhone X are both compatible with 5W chargers, but many users opt to take advantage of the faster 7.5W charging mode that was enabled with iOS 11.2 in December.

It would appear Tesla is targeting customers willing to pay premium prices for brand recognition and high style. Perhaps more useful than a Tesla-branded power bank is RAVPower's HyperAir battery pack, a 10,400mAh device with 7.5W wireless charging capabilities, or Mophie's Powerstation Plus XL.

It's unclear why the Tesla iPhone Charger was pulled from Tesla's site.

It was reported earlier this week that Apple had poached "scores" of employees from Tesla in recent months, some but not all of which have gone to work for the "Project Titan" team. Former Mac VP Doug Field also recently returned to Apple after a five-year stint at Tesla.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Musk may still face charges from the SEC. If he’s found guilty of Tesla stock manipulation, that could be the end of him at Tesla.
    tmaylongpathbigbillygoatgruffwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Musk may still face charges from the SEC. If he’s found guilty of Tesla stock manipulation, that could be the end of him at Tesla.
    When I heard he blogged that Tesla will not be attempting to go private my thought was that this is part of a plan to get the SEC off his back.  Now, with no plans to go private, he only needs someone with deep pockets to step forward on his behalf and say that they were the ones who told him, verbally, that they would provide the financing.  And poof, what can the SEC do?  Nothing.  Staying tuned...
    edited August 2018 techprod1gylongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Poor Tesla is confused.  
    They don't know what else to do beyond fast electric cars as the competition zeros in on them.

Tesla has a nice network of fast chargers but they are not monetizing it at all.  
    Tesla should charge for using the chargers to make a profit and maintain the chargers.
    These chargers will soon need to be retrofitted for wireless charging.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Poor Tesla is confused.  
    They don't know what else to do beyond fast electric cars as the competition zeros in on them.

Tesla has a nice network of fast chargers but they are not monetizing it at all.  
    Tesla should charge for using the chargers to make a profit and maintain the chargers.

I like Tesla vehicles, they feel like the early Apple 1 years for vehicles. I also want Elon to take us to Mars by 2024.
    But with Uber & soon Apple zeroing in on Tesla’s moneymaker I feel it’s going to have a dark dark future.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Elon Musk ain't nothing compared to Steve Jobs. Tesla ain't nothing compared to Apple.

Apple makes huge amounts of profit. Tesla is a joke.

When iCar is released, Tesla will have no excuses left.
    mwhite
  • Reply 6 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I think the company would be better off without him. They don't deliver on time. Over promise, under deliver. Never made a profit, only spending investors' money. The company is a bit of a joke. Or rather, Elon Musk is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I have question.

Can you give me example on Musks erratic behavior? I am not sure what you mean.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32

In a rare piece of recent news about Tesla Motors that didn't center on the increasingly erratic behavior of founder/CEO Elon Musk or his quixotic, since-abandoned effort to take the company private, Tesla Tuesday introduced a new iPhone charging product.

This sentence brought a smile to my face

But by that night, the charger was gone from Tesla's website, with its URL redirecting to Tesla's general e-commerce website.

More erratic behaviour!!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Poor Tesla is confused.  

I like Tesla vehicles, they feel like the early Apple 1 years for vehicles. I also want Elon to take us to Mars by 2024.
    But with Uber & soon Apple zeroing in on Tesla’s moneymaker I feel it’s going to have a dark dark future.
    You own a Tesla? If not, just shut up. Tesla cars are great especially Model 3 which is pretty much a BMW 3Series in electric.
    Apple zeroing, how? Project Titan? Lol. Money can’t really speed up the process when Apple today is nowhere close to Tesla 10 years ago. Yeah, the time when Tesla already had the roasters on the road and took $5000-deposits for Model S. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 10 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    nunzy said:
    Elon Musk ain't nothing compared to Steve Jobs. Tesla ain't nothing compared to Apple.

When iCar is released, but when? 10 years from now? Oh, at that time Apple is 20 years behind Tesla and guess what? There’ll be no iCar. Just no! Btw, Tesla ain’t no joke because their cars drive like a dream. I guess you can’t afford one yet!
    nunzySuttaDost
  • Reply 11 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Quixotic?
    Somehow I don’t think gaming stock options was Don de la Mancha’s bag. Inadvertently or not.

edit: Nunzy finds you lot so easy.
    edited August 2018 nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I have question.

You don’t need to understand it Tesla shareholder. Just keep buying. He’s the most level headed human being and the new Jesus. Surely.

In all seriousness, however, perhaps calling that cave diving rescuer (who saved those kids and risked his own life in doing so) a ‘pedo guy’ wasn’t the most careful decision he’s made. Or randomly tweeting about taking Tesla private. If he intended to he should have inked a deal in writing and announced a legit proposal in a proper manner. Both actions were reckless. Not to mention you can see he’s a bit off in interviews as of late (his MKBHD interview) and he always looks wrecked tired. Needs a healthier work load and sleeping ritual? Seems like it.

On the topic of a this charger, however. It’s a good idea to make it this shape as it greatly helps the user put their phone on the charger correctly. That said I’m unsure why they are making one. I don’t know if they’ve one built into Tesla cars, but if do or are intending to, it is as good a reason as any to get good at making these. Every Tesla car should come default with a couple of these built into the chassis. IMO no cars in 2018 should require a wire in the car to charge your smartphone once you enter. And having these built in by default in a vehicle significantly improves owner experience for owners fortunate enough to own such a phone. Others like myself who prefer SE can use a wire. But going forward all phones will surely have this optional charging method. So fitting and even retrofitting most cars now makes a lot of sense.
    edited August 2018 StrangeDaysbigbillygoatgruffanantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    entropys said:
    Quixotic?
    Somehow I don’t think gaming stock options was Don de la Mancha’s bag. Inadvertently or not.
    Agreed.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The rise and fall of Elon Musk...it’s coming I reckon. The bloke has been behaving strangely for a while now. Maybe he just took on too much juggling multiple companies, and is on the verge of a nervous breakdown or something?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    There had been many articles written that claimed how Apple needed a visionary like Elon Musk to lead the company forward. The articles are not aging well especially when you pay attention to Tim Cook’s unwavering focus on Apple compared to Elon Musk’s focus on Tesla. 
    StrangeDaysclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member

The product's $65 price point is, or was, a bit high for a charger of its kind, especially one without a large battery cell and a wireless module that outputs only 5W of juice.

It would appear Tesla is targeting customers willing to pay premium prices for brand recognition and high style.
    A bit of double standards here, you could say the same about EVERY SINGLE Apple product and accessory.
    irelandapres587
  • Reply 17 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    fallenjt said:
    nunzy said:

When iCar is released, but when? 10 years from now? Oh, at that time Apple is 20 years behind Tesla and guess what? There’ll be no iCar. Just no! Btw, Tesla ain’t no joke because their cars drive like a dream. I guess you can’t afford one yet!
     When Apple releases a car, it won’t be 20 years behind. Just like the iPhone wasn’t 20 years behind Nokia.
    edited August 2018 claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 32
    When I heard he blogged that Tesla will not be attempting to go private my thought was that this is part of a plan to get the SEC off his back.  Now, with no plans to go private, he only needs someone with deep pockets to step forward on his behalf and say that they were the ones who told him, verbally, that they would provide the financing.  And poof, what can the SEC do?  Nothing.  Staying tuned...
    Poof, investigate them for possible collusion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    ireland said:
    I have question.

You don’t need to understand it Tesla shareholder. Just keep buying. He’s the most level headed human being and the new Jesus. Surely.

In all seriousness, however, perhaps calling that cave diving rescuer (who saved those kids and risked his own life in doing so) a ‘pedo guy’ wasn’t the most careful decision he’s made. Or randomly tweeting about taking Tesla private. If he intended to he should have inked a deal in writing and announced a legit proposal in a proper manner. Both actions were reckless. Not to mention you can see he’s a bit off in interviews as of late (his MKBHD interview) and he always looks wrecked tired. Needs a healthier work load and sleeping ritual? Seems like it.

On the topic of a this charger, however. It’s a good idea to make it this shape as it greatly helps the user put their phone on the charger correctly. That said I’m unsure why they are making one. I don’t know if they’ve one built into Tesla cars, but if do or are intending to, it is as good a reason as any to get good at making these. Every Tesla car should come default with a couple of these built into the chassis. IMO no cars in 2018 should require a wire in the car to charge your smartphone once you enter. And having these built in by default in a vehicle significantly improves owner experience for owners fortunate enough to own such a phone. Others like myself who prefer SE can use a wire. But going forward all phones will surely have this optional charging method. So fitting and even retrofitting most cars now makes a lot of sense.
    Ok, I understand your position. I won’t argue with you any longer.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    fallenjt said:
    nunzy said:

If you switched out "iCar" with "iPhone" and "Tesla" with "Motorola, Nokia, RIM, etc," I bet you could find almost that exact same quote ca. 12 years ago.  People were pretty happy with the RAZR and the BlackBerry, too.  We know how that turned out.

I'm not betting against Apple's success with the iCar, if they decide to move into that market.

nunzyclaire1watto_cobra