The best external monitors for your Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I got the Acer XR382CQK from Amazon and am pretty happy with it.  Connected it to my MacBook Pro 2016.  Not retina resolution of course but I was coming from a Apple Thunderbolt 27" and its just as good as that and of course much larger.

If I remember correctly there was something odd I had to set for the refresh rate to be at the higher setting 4K, 3440x1440-75Hz).  Think I had to disable the USB hub or something on the monitor.   Also I connected via DisplayPort.  If you do a search for the product you'll come across folks complaining about the low Hz and people explaining how to set it up.
  • Reply 22 of 30
     So silly. I bought 4 Sceptre 40” 4K monitors, 4 KingOne USB-c to HDMI braided connectors, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YPBWKB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , all from Amazon, and a Thunderbolt 3 dock from B&H/OWC, which has Thunderbolt in/out to a monitor, plus 5 powered USB-A, GigE and SD and optical audio.

The monitors cost $250 each, $20 each for the cables and $249 for the dock. I have more pixels than I can look at, all attached to my  15” MacBook Pro. 

I have 2 40” monitors on either side of my laptop with a Magic trackpad 2 and a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard in the center, and I have change left from $1500. 

Technically, my monitors aren’t Thunderbolt 3, but I have the near equivalent of an 80” monitor.

Software development with 1 Linux VM full screen, 1 Windows VM, a browser and research monitor, plus a macOS beta VM, plus a movie running in PiP...

The only problem is when I can’t figure out where the mouse is.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Hey guys

no love for Eizo here ?
    absolutely amazone screens

• Reply 24 of 30
    Hey guys

no love for Eizo here ?
    absolutely amazone screens

I concur. Eizo is in a league of its own. 
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I shopped for a while before I decided on a pair of LG UltraFine 4K (22") displays to put next to my 2017 iMac (22). I tried using it with my older LG 34", which worked great, but looked too dull next to the iMac's 500 brightness. The LGs I got (refurbs via Amazon, at about $300 each) are perfectly bright and work well with the iMac, giving me a 3-screen setup. I would still prefer one big display but I could find nothing in a comparable price range (or, really, even out of it) that had the same brightness capabilities.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I do like the look of that CJ79
  • Reply 27 of 30
    I recently purchased the Dell 3818DW from COSTCO (at  great price) am using it with a mid2015 MacBook Pro. No mater what setting I select for the display, I cannot get the display to show with a clear resolution.

I am currently on the macOS Mojave. 

To note the only 3250 X 1600 display option is one with "Low Resolution" i.e. "3840 X 1600 Low Resolution".

I am using an HDMI cable to connect directly from Mac to Monitor. 

I called DELL to try and trouble shoot and I simply got "Dell Monitor isn't compatible with MAC".

Any help would be much appreciated. I hate to have to return this beautiful monitor but cannot function/work with a blurry screen.

Thanks!

• Reply 28 of 30
    nizmoz44nizmoz44 Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    Really? Someone’s going to put something with a “SAMSUNG” logo next to their expensive Mac?

As an aside, it’s rather pathetic that Apple does not make high-end monitors. Heck, for starters, all it needs to do is make an iMac without the internals and the chin...
    Agreed.  I've had more Samsung stuff turn out to be junk and fail with all types of issues than any other product that I will never buy another one.  Here is a list of stuff I've owned.

Samsung Washer/Dryer - Washer blew up
    Note 7 - Phone recalled due to fire/battery issues
    Note 9 - Camera freezing issues, battery life terrible, lag
    Samsung TV Plasma, blew up at 5 years old
    Samsung TV LCD - All the HDMI ports died
    Samsung s7 edge - Lagged badly, battery down to 70% health at 1.5 years.  

With that, I am done.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
     So silly. I bought 4 Sceptre 40” 4K monitors, 4 KingOne USB-c to HDMI braided connectors, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YPBWKB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , all from Amazon, and a Thunderbolt 3 dock from B&H/OWC, which has Thunderbolt in/out to a monitor, plus 5 powered USB-A, GigE and SD and optical audio.

The monitors cost $250 each, $20 each for the cables and $249 for the dock. I have more pixels than I can look at, all attached to my  15” MacBook Pro. 

I have 2 40” monitors on either side of my laptop with a Magic trackpad 2 and a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard in the center, and I have change left from $1500. 

Technically, my monitors aren’t Thunderbolt 3, but I have the near equivalent of an 80” monitor.

Software development with 1 Linux VM full screen, 1 Windows VM, a browser and research monitor, plus a macOS beta VM, plus a movie running in PiP...

The only problem is when I can’t figure out where the mouse is.
    Shake it on your desktop back and forth quickly.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    motokomotoko Posts: 1member
    The Dell U3818DW has sleep/wake bugs with USB-C macs that Dell refuses to fix. Users have shown in detail that the issue is caused by the monitor violating USB-C PD protocol, but Dell is refusing to fix the issue or support mac users. Details are in these Dell support threads: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/U3818DW-USB-Type-C-power-delivery-problem/td-p/7452974 https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/Dell-add-Apple-support-to-the-U3818DW/m-p/7492429