Apple researching refinements to sunroofs, seating for 'Project Titan' car

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    volcan said:
    paxman said:
    I don't see why not. You have a car subscription that suits you. You arrive at store - 'Hey Siri, park and wait'. Etc. There would be a ton of permutations and when most lanes are reserved for autonomous vehicles owning you own may become a silly proposition.
    Just seems very inconvenient to my thinking. For example again with the golf clubs. I hail a ride to work in the morning and now I have to carry my golf clubs into the office. And lets say I want to pickup my dry cleaning and a prescription at the drug store during my lunch break, I again have to bring them into the office. Then when I go to the golf course later I have to find someplace to store that stuff while hitting a bucket of balls at the driving range. How exactly does hailing an autonomous car make my life easier?

If all the freeway lanes and parking spots in Southern California are eventually reserved for autonomous vehicles, I'll move to another location where that is not the case. But I probably won't have to deal with that situation anyway since it will likely be several decades before anything like that happens, if ever, at least in my lifetime.
    Now your office needs a parking space and all the room it takes to get in and out of the parking space because you have your dry cleaning or golf clubs in the car.
    in the same space 16 people could have a very large locker with better security for anything they have in their car.  Even more if lockers were robot concierge that not only meet you at the door but packed the storage in tighter and only as needed.  

I don't think it's an all or nothing system but if we could take enough "just in case i need...." cars off the road in cities and work areas it would have big impact on space and traffic reduction.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 42 of 44
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mattinoz said:
    volcan said:
    paxman said:
    I don't see why not. You have a car subscription that suits you. You arrive at store - 'Hey Siri, park and wait'. Etc. There would be a ton of permutations and when most lanes are reserved for autonomous vehicles owning you own may become a silly proposition.
    Just seems very inconvenient to my thinking. For example again with the golf clubs. I hail a ride to work in the morning and now I have to carry my golf clubs into the office. And lets say I want to pickup my dry cleaning and a prescription at the drug store during my lunch break, I again have to bring them into the office. Then when I go to the golf course later I have to find someplace to store that stuff while hitting a bucket of balls at the driving range. How exactly does hailing an autonomous car make my life easier?

If all the freeway lanes and parking spots in Southern California are eventually reserved for autonomous vehicles, I'll move to another location where that is not the case. But I probably won't have to deal with that situation anyway since it will likely be several decades before anything like that happens, if ever, at least in my lifetime.
    Now your office needs a parking space and all the room it takes to get in and out of the parking space because you have your dry cleaning or golf clubs in the car.
    in the same space 16 people could have a very large locker with better security for anything they have in their car.  Even more if lockers were robot concierge that not only meet you at the door but packed the storage in tighter and only as needed.  

I don't think it's an all or nothing system but if we could take enough "just in case i need...." cars off the road in cities and work areas it would have big impact on space and traffic reduction.
    OMG you ignorant digital dreamers are so clueless. From a pragmatic perspective it would cost $400K+ to create what you suggest even if I could get the permits from the city which would be unlikely. I could drive brand new cars for 50 years before I would reach break even based on your futuristic proposal and it would still be very inconvenient.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    There is little value in Apple buying Tesla.  What are they getting for $80B?  A company that is losing money on every car they make (still).
    - Yes, there is some value in the Tesla brand, but Apple overall has a more valuable brand.
    - Yes, there is some value in Tesla patents (although I recall some news a few years back that Tesla was mostly making those available at no fee during the time of Musk's extreme confidence that he would personally move the world to electric vehicles).
    - but all of that is nowhere near worth the price to buy, and then have to integrate a completely different culture (overall cost over $100B in just a few years).
    - better to buy smaller companies with the technology they need (as they always do).  Can accomplish this for a fraction of the price, and have more control

Most of the (more in-depth) articles I read on autonomous driving indicate it is still many years away from having this become mainstream.  Yes, a few pilot projects, and perhaps in a few select cities in the next few years, but even the insiders are saying more like 10 years for mainstream adoption (and even that will go slower than most suspect, as those things always do).

I have no idea if Apple will be successful in entering the transportation business (with a car), but having an autonomous vehicle (which is bringing new innovation in areas of style, usage, internal configuration) in 2025 is certainly not late to the market.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    volcan said:
    mattinoz said:
    volcan said:
    paxman said:

OMG you ignorant digital dreamers are so clueless. From a pragmatic perspective it would cost $400K+ to create what you suggest even if I could get the permits from the city which would be unlikely. I could drive brand new cars for 50 years before I would reach break even based on your futuristic proposal and it would still be very inconvenient.
    You're the one arguing that you need to own and maintain a vehicle that costs 5 figures because occasionally you need a locker.

Predicting the future is always difficult.  Our lives are radically different today than 20 years ago in ways we couldn't have predicted thanks to the internet and mobile technology.  There are tons of things more absurd than mattinoz's workplace lockers idea that naysayers 20 years ago would have mocked.  "People will get rid of their landline phones?"  "People will have their groceries delivered to their homes without them even going to the store?"  "I'll be able to rent a strangers house for my vacation for less than the cost of a hotel?"  "People will give up buying CDs and DVDs because every movie and every song is available instantly on their phone or TV?"

There are millions of people today who don't own cars in US (yes almost exclusively in urban areas--where a significant proportion of people live), and companies and cities are adapting to that reality.  It's not a stretch to see that trend accelerating.

In ten or twenty years I'm sure you'll still be allowed to own and drive a car (perhaps not everywhere).  But then my mom never uses a computer or mobile device today, so it's always possible to be a Luddite.