Apple 'Gather round' 2018 iPhone event scheduled for September 12

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    It's the MacBook Wheel, predicted by the Onion ten years ago. Apple finally cracked it.
    JWSCanantksundaramgutengel
  • Reply 22 of 75
    gordy said:
    Second vote for a round watch bezel.
    If you make the watch round, then where do you put the complications? To me, the corners are the perfect place for them. I have three watch faces I swipe to depending on which complications I'm going to be using (working out, cooking, normal).
    ericthehalfbeebb-15
  • Reply 23 of 75
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    That concentric ring graphic looks a lot like the electrical contacts used for connections that can rotate. put a magnet behind it, and it could be the new smart connector for an iPad Pro. The current smart connector has 3 pins and magnets to ensure connection, so that would match well with the graphic. The 3 pins are likely typical serial communication standard Tx/Rx & GND. Maybe we're going to see a new iPad Pro with a compatible keyboard module that would make it more like a convertible laptop. My $0.02, of course.
    That is a very savvy take on that!

Kudos for your insight, and I hope you are correct.

I have first generation iPad Pro 12.9, and don't need to upgrade, but there is a lot rumored to make it compelling. Haven't seen any rumors wrt A12X, so it might be that these will get the highest binned A12's, more, and possibly, recently announced LPDDR5 from Samsung.

Edit;

There was a link which stated the part numbers;

A12    T8020
    A12X  T8027
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 24 of 75
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    Hmmm... my take would be new audio products... as in 'gather round' the speaker.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    All the speculation about every year's invite graphics winds up an epic fail. Apple plays games with us every year. Not going to even guess what the invite means. I'll just say there won't be a round face on the new Apple watch(es) as that would be impractical.

I'm pretty happy with the lack of significant leaks. For the most part, we've only gotten vague rumors from the usual suspects. Unless I somehow missed them, no leaked parts that are likely in the next iPhones.
    peterhartbb-15
  • Reply 26 of 75
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    JFC_PA said:
    The new HQ is round. So they're messing with us, per usual.  
    And so is the Steve Jobs Theater.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    While a round watch face makes sense for the sweeping hands of an analog watch, a digital watch - whose purpose is to provide a wide variety of data - is most usefully delivered via a rectangle. A flatter and larger (viewable), not overall rectangle is what I'm still betting on. Of course, Apple may have "solved" the inefficiency of a round display for data, but I'm struggling to see how... I'm thinking it's a multiple allusion to Apple Park, the Steve Jobs Theater, a new iPhone camera subsystem. (and a new round Mac Mini Pro???)
    caladanianronnStrangeDaysargonaut
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Those rings map perfectly to the top view of the new Apple HQ. Has zero to do with Watch design. If it did that would have leaked in the watchOS SDK anyway.
    JWSCronnpeterhartmuthuk_vanalingampscooter63StrangeDaysargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I guess this is why the stock has completely exploded upward today.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    JinTech said:
    Surely this means we will have a round watch option.
    No, this is obviously a hint that we are getting a round iPhone...

(or the circle is meant to represent the theatre / apple HQ... nope can't be that - so round iPhone).

mrboba1
  • Reply 31 of 75
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    guerro said:
    gordy said:
    If you make the watch round, then where do you put the complications? To me, the corners are the perfect place for them. I have three watch faces I swipe to depending on which complications I'm going to be using (working out, cooking, normal).
    The complications go where they've gone successfully for over a century in round and square watches alike -- inside the dial. Just like the Hermes Apple Watch does now:

edited August 2018
  • Reply 32 of 75
    skantskant Posts: 1member
    To me the ring on the invite seems to look like the Apple Campus 2 building itself, like an artistic representations of it in rose gold. May the campus is fully ready now.

edited August 2018
  • Reply 33 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No. They are not going to make a round watch, FFS.
    ericthehalfbeedavgregpatchythepiratepscooter63StrangeDaysradarthekatargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Also known as “Nerd Rage Day”.

As usual, a large number of people will be fuming mad and will make sure to go online and tell everyone about it.

I don’t know if anyone has stats, but I’d bet this day has the single largest amount of Internet traffic for the entire year
    lamboaudi4
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Not happening, Gordy.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    mac_128 said:
    guerro said:
    gordy said:
    The complications go where they've gone successfully for over a century in round and square watches alike -- inside the dial. Just like the Hermes Apple Watch does now:

Doesnt change the fact round is inferior for a smartwatch. I hate complications inside the face as the hands are always covering a portion of them, usually when I happen to want to see one.
    ronnguerroargonaut
  • Reply 37 of 75
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Also known as “Nerd Rage Day”.

As usual, a large number of people will be fuming mad and will make sure to go online and tell everyone about it.

I don’t know if anyone has stats, but I’d bet this day has the single largest amount of Internet traffic for the entire year
    I always looks forward to Apple's Q1 earnings in February; Massive Denial Day for the untidy lot of doubters; I'm not naming names.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 38 of 75
    My guess it is the new haptic feedback crown for Apple Watch.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member

Looks pretty obvious :)
    SpamSandwichWhiskeyAPPLEciderjdgazpotatomanRayz2016ronndewmeStrangeDaysargonaut
  • Reply 40 of 75
    The lines on the graphic definitely mirror a bird's eye view of Apple Park, but my first thought is that it would also signify the removal of home buttons on all their phones.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯