Apple 'Gather round' 2018 iPhone event scheduled for September 12

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    I wish it was a round Watch, but it looks like a copper charging ring inside the new phones. Faster charging.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    Oh god! Please not the round computer screen thing again. Please no.
    StrangeDayscgWerks
  • Reply 43 of 75
    The brand new Apple campus/venue is round. Not a round watch or round whatever. Period. 
    cornchipireland
  • Reply 44 of 75
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Face ID On the iPad Pro means no sale. I do not want it and do not want to pay for it. The notch screen is also a no go.
    Some of us do not want a digital map of our face stored locally on a device or remotely on Apple’s servers. The lack of a physical home button is also not a plus.

As to iPhones, if I cannot buy one without Face ID, I will say pass. I’ll just buy a new battery for my iPhone 7.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    davgreg said:
    Face ID On the iPad Pro means no sale. I do not want it and do not want to pay for it. The notch screen is also a no go.
    Some of us do not want a digital map of our face stored locally on a device or remotely on Apple’s servers. The lack of a physical home button is also not a plus.

As to iPhones, if I cannot buy one without Face ID, I will say pass. I’ll just buy a new battery for my iPhone 7.
    With Apple, change is guaranteed. I have the X at this point. After 3 or 4 days I wished I had never had a home button. And its a royal pain to use my iPad or my wife phone which has the "button". 
    cornchiptmayurashidradarthekat
  • Reply 46 of 75
    No. They are not going to make a round watch, FFS.
    Exactly lol, not going to happen.

And if they were, they'd say, "Time to gather round."

"Gather round" is probably just a convenient graphic/phrase, and possibly hinting at another round product to be released: another size of homepod.

As an aside, it's a shame that the siri still makes the homepod virtually useless for anything other than rote homekit commands, which it still manages to screw up more than it should.

The thing I'm most looking forward to hearing about is the Maps development, finally!
  • Reply 47 of 75
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    backstab said:

Here's a reveal of the new desktop MacPro AIO. Can't innovate my ass.

dewmeargonaut
  • Reply 48 of 75
    davgreg said:

Ummm, you know Face ID can be turned off, right?

Also, please explain how the lack of a physical home button is a bad thing. 

I’m with the crowd that thinks the graphic is a bird’s eye view of Apple Park. When was the last time Apple’s invite graphics actually had some hidden meaning that became obvious after the event?
    edited August 2018 ireland
  • Reply 49 of 75
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I applauded the lack of leaks, so of course there are several coming out all over the place immediately after I opened my big mouth. Although I'm not too sure of the gold color iPhones "leaked" on 9-to-5 Mac.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Clearly a play on the new campus, but I wonder if Apple will pre announce its new TV service as well? 
  • Reply 51 of 75
    I can’t take credit as I saw this on another site.

StrangeDaysirelandpscooter63
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Clearly the "round" means it's time for the much anticipated Macbook Wheel
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 53 of 75
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    jdgaz said:
    davgreg said:

With Apple, change is guaranteed. I have the X at this point. After 3 or 4 days I wished I had never had a home button. And its a royal pain to use my iPad or my wife phone which has the "button". 
    I have an original iPad Mini that serves its intended function well. It doesn't have touchID. Funny how I really got used to, and now expect that function. Swipe is so last decade.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    crowley said:
    Not very inviting, a bit sinister.
    Please his heart, he tries so hard.

Nope. Not sinister at all. 
  • Reply 55 of 75
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    davgreg said:

No, no, no. Get educated. Neither Face ID nor the very established Touch ID store jack shit on Apple’s servers. 
    ronnSpamSandwich
  • Reply 56 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ronn said:
    All the speculation about every year's invite graphics winds up an epic fail. Apple plays games with us every year. Not going to even guess what the invite means. I'll just say there won't be a round face on the new Apple watch(es) as that would be impractical.

I'm pretty happy with the lack of significant leaks. For the most part, we've only gotten vague rumors from the usual suspects. Unless I somehow missed them, no leaked parts that are likely in the next iPhones.
    It’s funny that leaks happened after you posted this comment—the same day.
    ronn
  • Reply 57 of 75
    thrang said:
    While a round watch face makes sense for the sweeping hands of an analog watch, a digital watch - whose purpose is to provide a wide variety of data - is most usefully delivered via a rectangle. A flatter and larger (viewable), not overall rectangle is what I'm still betting on. Of course, Apple may have "solved" the inefficiency of a round display for data, but I'm struggling to see how... I'm thinking it's a multiple allusion to Apple Park, the Steve Jobs Theater, a new iPhone camera subsystem. (and a new round Mac Mini Pro???)
    Every year people analyse these things to death and never do the wild predictions come through. I remember the bubbles on one invite were analysed something special and basically they were literally nothing but a new wallpaper or iPhone marketing graphics. The ring on the keynote to my eyes is simply an aerial view of Apple Park. Nothing less; nothing more.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 58 of 75
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    farmboy said:
    backstab said:

Here's a reveal of the new desktop MacPro AIO. Can't innovate my ass.

Hell, I'd buy one.

You realise that the Apple Communications and Marketing Department spend ages coming up with invites that are just enigmatic to fuel crazy speculation about what they mean, partly as an exercise to generate publicity by getting people talking about it, and also partly to see what crazy BS people come up with?

Then again, maybe they just put their coffee mug down on the paper again.

(Insert that Dilbert strip about the "Brown Ring of Quality" that I can't be arsed to go looking for.)

• Reply 59 of 75
    entropys said:
    Clearly a play on the new campus, but I wonder if Apple will pre announce its new TV service as well? 
    I’m sure this isn’t true and the clue is more sobering, but you get the award for the most inventive guess I’ve seen pre an Apple event.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    guerro said:
    gordy said:
    Second vote for a round watch bezel.
    If you make the watch round, then where do you put the complications? To me, the corners are the perfect place for them. I have three watch faces I swipe to depending on which complications I'm going to be using (working out, cooking, normal).
    Mac_128 said: The complications go where they've gone successfully for over a century in round and square watches alike -- inside the dial. Just like the Hermes Apple Watch does now:

And Apple seems to agree with me!! Ha!!

edited August 2018