Apple inadvertently leaks images of new 'iPhone XS'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Ahead of the upcoming September 12th event, Apple seems to have inadvertently leaked images of a pair of unreleased iPhones as well as their name -- the iPhone XS.

iPhohe Xs and iPhone Xs Max

These images seemingly confirm the existence of two OLED models, likely a 5.8-inch iPhone X successor and a larger 6.5-inch "plus" version. According to 9to5Mac who shared the images, both models will be called iPhone XS.

In the images, we also see a new gold color that was rumored to be true earlier this year. The controversial notch also appears to be sticking around, as expected.

It isn't clear where the images originated, and AppleInsider could not authenticate them. However, the current theory is that Apple had a video stream running with images of the unreleased products.

I'm guessing Apple just streamed some marketing videos for unreleased products on a testing feed that they thought nobody was watching? Oops

-- Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith)

Looking at the press invites for Apple's event, the gold color of the invite could now be seen as teasing the upcoming new iPhone color option.

Be sure to check out AppleInsider's report on what to expect alongside the new iPhone XS at Apple's September 12th event.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 139
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    iPhone eXcesS?
    zroger73cornchipanton zuykovnunzydesignrAlphadork1argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 139
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    iPhone eXcesS?
    No , it’s 10S. 
    bb-15peterhartanton zuykovronnpscooter63mavemufcmacseekermonstrosityargonautbigbillygoatgruff
  • Reply 3 of 139
    Please. This happens every year.
    viclauyycargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 139
    If you look closely at the new Apple Watch 4 face, you will see an ultraviolet reading in one of the corners.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/30/exclusive-apple-watch-series-4/
  • Reply 5 of 139
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    iPhone eXcesS?
    No , it’s 10S. 
    Yeah but they have to realize half the population says it that way. I slip on occasion myself. 
    Renderdog[Deleted User]doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 139
    Naturally XS makes the most sense. I wonder if it will be XS and XS+.
  • Reply 7 of 139
    iPhone eXcesS?
    No , it’s 10S. 
    Yeah... but no one I know calls it the iPhone "10". Despite what Apple claims. 
    gatorguydysamoria[Deleted User]kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 8 of 139
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    huh, Apple made a bubble like screen, it looks preggers!!!

;)
    Pylonsargonautdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 139
    Also the 6.1" model might be the XC?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 139
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I really like that Gold Color, if that's a real color. I have my Gold iPad I got late last year, but it really doesn't look like Gold. it's goldish.

What is Apple going to do Next year for numbers? I get the XS, it makes sense going from past phones, which means the larger 6.5" version would be XS Plus. The cheaper LCD version. Is Apple going to call it a 8S? Or a 9? Either next year or the year after, they would hit X (10) which they already had a few years prior at that point.

Which is why they should do away with numbers. Why does Apple even need numbers? Apple no longer has numbers on their iPad's. It's either the iPad or the 10.5 or 12.9" iPad Pro. The 2015 version or the 2018 version. Numbers seems redundant.

Why not iPhone, iPhone Pro, and iPhone Pro+, with a iPhone SE if they do another small iPhone in the future. It is the Special Edition after all.

MS doesn't number the Xbox. Its Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. Where as Sony is doing the numbers. How original. It's not like Apple releases new iPhones 2 times a year. It's Once a year like a new Car. They don't number car's, it's just model year.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 11 of 139
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, I listened, yesterday, to the Gruber podcast with Jason Snell. As others here have pointed out, a LOT of people would pronounce Xs as excess. After all, I’ve had Apple store employees pronounce OS X as os ex. People who should know better pronounce the X in Apple products as ex all the time.

i find it hard to believe that Shiller’s Marketing team, who told Gruber that they spent a LOT of time on the iPhone X name, wouldn’t notice this problem. Not so bad in isolation. Pronouncing X as ten isn’t a disaster, but pronouncing Xs as ezcess would be.

as they said on the podcast, Samsung would have a ball with Xs in their Ads. Why would Apple give them that fat target?

it will surely be interesting to find out what Apple decided.
    ronndysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 139
    iPhone eXcesS?
    No , it’s 10S. 
    Yeah, we all know that. See my post above this one.
  • Reply 13 of 139
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    So, the line up is:
    XS 6.5”
    X 5.8”
    6.1”?
    base on the picture, these could be 6.5” and 6.1” there!
  • Reply 14 of 139
    LordeHawk said:
    If you look closely at the new Apple Watch 4 face, you will see an ultraviolet reading in one of the corners.

Doesn't mean the info is being pulled from the watch, though ... would be cool if so, but it seems like it's just general weather info (temp, sunset, etc. are there as well).
    bonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 139
    LordeHawk said:

If that’s real, and it’s a big if, then it definitely looks good. Interesting that the crown now has a very subtle red ring on the side rather than the large red dot in the middle. I don’t mind the dot, but I know that some others do, so this seems to be a reflection of that. Apple’s designs do get more subtle over time, so this isn’t surprising.

I wasn’t thinking of upgrading again this year, but now I’m thinking, new phones for the three of us. Two new iPad pros, and two watches. Hey, Apple’s doing ok!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 139

Naturally XS makes the most sense. I wonder if it will be XS and XS+.
    I’m really beginning to hate Xs already, and we don’t even know if it’s the official name yet.
  • Reply 17 of 139
    melgross said:
    Well, I listened, yesterday, to the Gruber podcast with Jason Snell. As others here have pointed out, a LOT of people would pronounce Xs as excess. After all, I’ve had Apple store employees pronounce OS X as os ex. People who should know better pronounce the X in Apple products as ex all the time.

i find it hard to believe that Shiller’s Marketing team, who told Gruber that they spent a LOT of time on the iPhone X name, wouldn’t notice this problem. Not so bad in isolation. Pronouncing X as ten isn’t a disaster, but pronouncing Xs as ezcess would be.

as they said on the podcast, Samsung would have a ball with Xs in their Ads. Why would Apple give them that fat target?

I don't know, "Excess" doesn't bother me. Considering it's a luxury product and status symbol for many. 
    king editor the gratespliff monkey
  • Reply 18 of 139
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Jeebz, look at what AAPL is doing lately. Drool.
  • Reply 19 of 139
    Aloysius said:
    melgross said:

I don't know, "Excess" doesn't bother me. Considering it's a luxury product and status symbol for many. 
    Excess doesn’t mean luxury, it means, in the derogatory way it will be used as overpriced, as waste, more than acceptable, expected, or reasonable. The last three from the Oxfords dictionary.

samsung, as usual with their Ads, will play this as a derisive thing.

so as an Apple user, you might not mind it, but this will be aimed at those on the fence, and it could dissuade some from buying the product. Certainly, the jokes will be all over.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 139
    Xs is a terrible name. I mean... just... no. People pronounce it iPhone Ex all the time. Excess... yuck.
    watto_cobra