Apple Watch 'Series 4' leak shows slimmer chassis with larger screen & new watch face

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2018
An image of the Apple Watch Series 4 have surfaced as part of a collection of leaks ahead of Apple's September 12th event, with the images showing the larger screen, small refinements to the outside, and a new information-dense watch face.

Apple Watch Series 4 Face

The previously-unreleased photograph depicts the Apple Watch Series 4 from the side, showing the face of the wearable device as well as the side button and Digital Crown. Continuing the trend from the last few generations of the device the image source 9to5Mac claims it will be called the Series 4.

The biggest change for the Apple Watch appears to be the display, which rumors suggested would be 15 percent larger than in previous models. The image suggests that the size difference will be from a reduced bezel, rather than by increasing the overall size of the design.

The screen also shows off a new analog watch face that provides a total of eight complications, including temperature, timer, and weather data in each of the four corners. In the middle are four other items, showing the Earth an Apple Music track duration indicator, fitness rings, and the date, while the outer rim showing the hours also displays an upcoming appointment.

Apple Watch Series 4

On the outside, the Digital Crown appears to have been changed, with a small red ring replacing the large red dot, if it is the LTE-equipped model featured in the picture. Between the Digital Crown and the side button is a hole, most likely used for a microphone or a speaker.

Small sections of the band visible in the image suggests it will work with currently-available bands with an unchanged attachment mechanism.

Full details about the Apple Watch Series 4 will be released on September 12, alongside expected new iPhones called the iPhone XS.

Make sure to check out AppleInsider's report on what to expect at Apple's September 12th event.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    I hate to say this, but that image sold me on an Apple Watch 4.

Perfect evolution of shape.
    mike1ronnAvieshekmavemufcalbegarcnapoleon_phoneapartStrangeDaysminicoffeeMisterKittoysandme
  • Reply 2 of 92
    I can haz?

Now just hoping my local carrier will get their sh*t together and support the watches…
    cornchipAvieshektoysandme
  • Reply 3 of 92
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    So the rumor of a solid state crown (like the iphone 7 home button) might not be true..
    albegarc
  • Reply 4 of 92
    I love that watch face. I hope it work on a Series 2. I am not about to drop $600 on a new watch when the one I have works fine. The one thing that bugs me with the complications is that is only lets you use Apple Calendar when you hit the date. In short, the native calendar is so bad in my eyes, that to say it sucks is too high a complement. I've used Informant Pro for years. I get to see an actually calendar when I look at a month display and not a pile of dots.
    berndogtoysandme
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

Total d bags, with no integrity.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    edited August 2018 peterhartAviesheklkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 92
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    tmay said:

Me too. I’m so ready for the AW4!
    AvieshekGeorgeBMactoysandme
  • Reply 7 of 92
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    fallenjt said:
    tmay said:

Me too. I’m so ready for the AW4!
    Dammit, stop the presses. I was all "meh" on an AW upgrade until I saw this. Not you've got my attention, you assjackets.

yeah, me too.
    AvieshekGeorgeBMactoysandmeargonautdoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 92
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Apple I'm throwing money at you! Open your mouth!!!
    Avieshektoysandmedoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Whats the UVI complication? Does the new watch will be able to tell if you have too much UV exposure?!
    sphericAvieshekdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 92
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I have the Series 2, so it’s probably not worth an upgrade for me. My wife has the series 1, I might get her one of these for Christmas. 

Thank god they are tuning back the red dot on the crown, talk about a ***king ugly design feature. Beyond me why Apple had red dots and thought they looked good. And I generally don’t care about colors too much. 
    edited August 2018 GeorgeBMacaylk
  • Reply 11 of 92
    gutengel said:
    Whats the UVI complication? Does the new watch will be able to tell if you have too much UV exposure?!
    I believe that's simply weather data, like temperature, in your location.
    albegarcjbishop1039
  • Reply 12 of 92
    gutengel said:
    I think it stands for ULTRA VIOLET INDEX! It'd just need a light sensor on the face of the watch, I'd be super useful while I surf!!!
    Avieshekdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    You know you're reading this on AppleInsider, right?
    Avieshekgatorguyking editor the gratesvanstromJaiOh81LukeCagetoysandmeargonautdoozydozenJWSC
  • Reply 14 of 92
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    This looks like a reasonable upgrade to my series 0 watch that Apple replaced out of warranty earlier this year after the battery swelled and popped the display off.

My eyes always wanted the 42mm version, but the 38mm version looked better on my skinny arms. Series 4 may be the solution!
  • Reply 15 of 92
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    That metal looks way too shiny to be aluminum.  I imagine that's a new "gold" color for the steel Apple Watch, very likely color matched to the new gold steel-frame option of the iPhone XS shown in the 9to5Mac photo.
    edited August 2018 StrangeDaysfastasleepbshankdoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Soli said:

You know you're reading this on AppleInsider, right?
    And? Do you have a point? Or do you prefer to just drop a petty comment without an opening for discussion?

Also, is there any way for you to not reflexively post something negative in reaction to my posts? Your apparent obsession with replying to my posts in a negative tone is getting obnoxious.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 17 of 92
    svanstrom said:

Then… stop reading news, dipshit. ߤ禺wj;♂️ 
    I don't think you understand how low of an intelligence level you need to have to consider that a valid point, not to mention doubling down with a weak and petty insult.

Kinda pathetic.

So many Fragile Felicia's getting triggered.
    edited August 2018 albegarcronn
  • Reply 18 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    There is no way to tell, from that picture, whether the case is slimmer or not. I doubt Apple would make it slimmer. Remember they made it slightly thicker for the GPS model, for a larger battery. So unless some major battery breakthrough has occurred over a year, that won’t hsppen.

but the edge of the crown is definitely more rounded. My Series 3 crown is flat on the edge. The side button also looks to be flusher to the case as well, though that’s hard to tell for certain.

to be honest, the picture does NOT show a screen with less bezel. It looks to be the same. I’m looking at mine, and the complications are as far to the corners and edges as what I’m seeing in the picture. That doesn’t mean the screen isn’t larger (in the same case size), just that the picture isn’t evidence of it. Of course, we’ve had rumors that the case would be slightly larger to accommodate a larger screen, so that could be what we’re seeing. But I can’t tell that from the band attachment either, in this picture. It’s been said the case would just be 1.5 to 2mm larger, so that might not show up, if it was what we’re seeing. There could be some combination. A slightly larger case, and a screen that’s larger and goes slightly closer to the sides. If that’s so, then the better battery life could be the reason, with a slightly larger battery.
    edited August 2018 patchythepirateGeorgeBMackingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 19 of 92
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Wasn’t planning an upgrade from my series 3 but this does look amazing..
  • Reply 20 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gutengel said:
    gutengel said:
    I think it stands for ULTRA VIOLET INDEX! It'd just need a light sensor on the face of the watch, I'd be super useful while I surf!!!
    It just needs to report what’s already known from most all weather apps. Apple’s might be the first to break that data out. No sensor needed. And the sensor would have to have you outside before it could work.
    gutengelbshank