Apple inadvertently leaks images of new 'iPhone XS'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    Does anybody see a problem with this name?  It sounds like "excess" ??!!   It seems the "X" means 10 in roman numerals as many of us know, but many people do not care
    or possibly even know that and the iPhone X is called "letter X" - it can be heard in the wild frequently.  Now, if true,  we may be dealing with iPhone "excess"...
    possibly a poor choice of names, sorry... would love to hear if Tim Cook thinks there is a problem with the company's phone being called "excess"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 139
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I don’t mind “excess”. In fact, I suspect many would embrace it in an “ in your face”, flaunting way.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 139
    I did not like the red dot ... the red circle is nice.  HEY maybe that is what the circle on the invitation is referring to!!!

Good to see that Apple knows how to pre-release its OWN photos of its products.  I was getting tired of looking at all these "simulations".

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 139
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    The larger model should finally persuade me to upgrade from my 6s Plus that has served me well for three years and still has 90% maximum battery capacity remaining. I couldn't justify the 7 or 8 and I didn't care for the X's screen dimensions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 139
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Can’t wait to have that 6.5” OLED screen
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 139
    I thought it was iPhone ex, not 10. The naming is even worst knowing they just skipped 9 and have a no-number, an 8, and a 10 out. Whoever designed this layout needs to be flogged.
  • Reply 27 of 139
    I thought it was iPhone ex, not 10. The naming is even worst knowing they just skipped 9 and have a no-number, an 8, and a 10 out. Whoever designed this layout needs to be flogged.
    I still don't get why it's the "iPhone [number]" or "iPhone [number]+". They don't do that with Macs, and even the iPads have gone the logical course.

It still should be "iPhone (late 2018)", "iPhone+ (late 2018)", and maybe the "iPhone Pro (late 2018)" and "iPhone Pro+ (late 2018)" in my opinion. 

• Reply 28 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    entropys said:
    I don’t mind “excess”. In fact, I suspect many would embrace it in an “ in your face”, flaunting way.
    I agree. “Excess” is back, baby!
  • Reply 29 of 139
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    10, X and XS are all fine with me.

They play nicely visually (and phonetically when pronounced incorrectly).

There are plenty of products with XS in the name and no one usually thinks of 'excess' when they read or here it.

I'm not convinced on the gold colour but I detest the rose and champagne variants so, depending on how it actually looks it might be ok if it isn't bling style. It would be amazing if the etched a colour mix like the one in the image on the screen onto the glass back. Especially as multi coloured gradient are so popular now.
  • Reply 30 of 139
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

SpamSandwichLukeCage
  • Reply 31 of 139
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:

There are plenty of products with XS in the name and no one usually thinks of 'excess' when they read or here it.

I'm not convinced on the gold colour but I detest the rose and champagne variants so, depending on how it actually looks it might be ok if it isn't bling style. It would be amazing if the etched a colour mix like the one in the image on the screen onto the glass back. Especially as multi coloured gradient are so popular now.
    That sounds like the script you have written to convince your wife to purchase the gold LCD X model as a replacement for her iPhone 6.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 139
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple accidentally blew up the internet. Accidentally. Sure.
    williamlondonargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 139
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    They have two versions running... the third, less expensive model will be the iPhone 9...  or 8S.  This says that eventually they are moving to the double digits, but carrying the single digits as well for people who want to spend less and have different feature sets (home button, TouchID, etc)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 139
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

That sounds like the script you have written to convince your wife to purchase the gold LCD X model as a replacement for her iPhone 6.
    I have a dilemma with this actually. Last year she could have upgraded but chose to replace the battery. That gave her another year with the 6. The X was not on the table basically due to price. That left the 8 series or 7 series as candidates but they look 'old'.

When she saw my Honor 10 she said 'that's gorgeous!' so now I'm waiting to see pricing and sizes for iPhones without foreheads and chins in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping the rumours of an 'affordable' new phone prove to be true.

We can argue that a phone is just a phone but she is style conscious and in 2018, high screen to body ratios are the norm and as the phone will have to last her around three years, I wouldn't like her stuck with a big forehead and chin in 2020.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 35 of 139
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    If this is real, I'm really liking that gold color. It's going to be hard to decide between gold and space gray. 
    airnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 139
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    Pronouncing it iPhone "10" almost a secret handshake for Apple fans who actually watched the keynote.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 139
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

I have a dilemma with this actually. Last year she could have upgraded but chose to replace the battery. That gave her another year with the 6. The X was not on the table basically due to price. That left the 8 series or 7 series as candidates but they look 'old'.

When she saw my Honor 10 she said 'that's gorgeous!' so now I'm waiting to see pricing and sizes for iPhones without foreheads and chins in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping the rumours of an 'affordable' new phone prove to be true.

We can argue that a phone is just a phone but she is style conscious and in 2018, high screen to body ratios are the norm and as the phone will have to last her around three years, I wouldn't like her stuck with a big forehead and chin in 2020.
    The LCD iPhone X model will be much more expensive than the Honor 10.
  • Reply 38 of 139
    I know Schiller would prefer it as 10, but I have got used to hearing it as eX and so have adopted saying if that way too. Wierdly I always say 10 when I’m speaking about iPhone X in other languages though; go figure!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 139
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member
    Who pronounces it as iPhone 10? It's generally called the iPhone X, if apple wanted people to call it the iPhone 10 why did they change it from being numbers to a letter? I would of thought they already would of named the models for this year, when they named last years models, but it seems kinda dumb that they didn't think this through previously.

It's like OSX, nobody calls it OS 10. It's OSX, yes, it means ten, but it's pronounced X.
  • Reply 40 of 139
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

The LCD iPhone X model will be much more expensive than the Honor 10.
    For sure. I'm just hoping the rumours prove true and one of the new phones is 'affordable' (even if it an Apple style definition of affordable).

Our family and social circle is dominated by Huawei/Honor phones. The sole iPhone is my wife's and there are a couple of oldish Samsungs.

She wants an iPhone and it would be nice for her to have one but we have been putting a lot of resources elsewhere and have plans for the next couple of years that make us think twice about certain things and one of them is phones.

If the Apple carrot is not close enough she could decide to hold out for another year or consider an Android.

She saw the Honor Magic 2 teaser from IFA today and commented favourably on the design.