Drivers more satisfied with Apple CarPlay than Android Auto, says J.D. Power

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
As a rule, car owners are more satisfied with the connected infotainment experience of using Apple CarPlay versus Android Auto, though they'd rather use Google Maps for navigation, according to a J.D. Power study published this week.

CarPlay in a 2018 Nissan Leaf

On a 1,000-point scale, CarPlay edged out Android Auto 777 to 748, the research firm said in its 2018 U.S. Tech Experience Index Study.

For data, the company surveyed just under 20,000 vehicle owners between February and July, using responses from the 14,800 people who had bought or leased a 2018 model in the last 90 days.

Of the people who said they use their own navigation option when driving, however, 56 percent said they used Google Maps most often, versus just 23 percent for Apple Maps. 16 percent replied with Waze, another Google-owned property.

Apple Maps is currently the only navigation option for drivers running CarPlay. That's set to change next month with the release of iOS 12, which will finally allow third-party navigation apps -- including Google Maps and Waze, which are already working in the iOS 12 beta.

Both CarPlay and Android Auto are increasingly becoming "must haves" for car buyers, J.D. Power suggested.

"This rapid adoption of smartphone mirroring is the unavoidable outcome of consumers thinking that automakers are being outperformed by smartphone software providers in certain areas," wrote J.D. Power's Kristin Kolodge. "Most consumers consider phone systems better for navigation and voice recognition -- and they're free. 'Better and free' are hard to compete with, so automakers will inevitably have to cede this territory and will be much better served by focusing on areas where they are the exclusive provider -- like driver assistance and collision avoidance -- and continue to hone those systems."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I use Apple Maps exclusively now and have been very satisfied with its performance and accuracy. With the revelation that Google tracks you whether you have locations services turned off or not I don’t plan on using Google Maps anytime soon.
    lolliverStrangeDaysGeorgeBMacwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Another overwhelming victory for Apple! Google doesn't stand a chance. They are beleaguered.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    D_CMillsD_CMills Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    nunzy said:
    Another overwhelming victory for Apple! Google doesn't stand a chance. They are beleaguered.
    I am all for carplay, but there was only a 2.9% difference in the victory. I wouldn't call that overwhelming.
    nunzylolliverphilboogie[Deleted User]GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    JD Power Hammah
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Incidentally, Warren Buffet just came out saying Apple investing in Tesla would be a bad idea. I agree:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/warren-buffett-apple-investing-in-tesla-is-a-very-poor-idea-2018-08-30
    philboogie
  • Reply 6 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I use Apple Maps exclusively.  I think GoogleMaps's interface on iOS is horrible.  

I just wished my 2015 Ford Edge was CarPlay compatible. :(  FordSync (developed my Microsoft) is the worst steaming pile of crap ever invented.
    lolliverStrangeDayssnd7holysmokesphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Mine has a reliability of 90% in my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek... but poor audio fidelity. Random skips and crackles in music every 15-45 seconds. The Dealer’s Service dept. is going to look into it next week. 
  • Reply 8 of 26
    My iPhone X keeps disconnecting from my 2017 Chevy premium head unit CarPlay. Every time I get in my car I have to force restart the iPhone to keep it from disconnecting. Using an Apple lightning cable, before you ask. Dealership can't resolve it. There is no way to even get a comment from Apple. Can't drive my car up to the genius bar.

Might have to do with the fact that the unit in the car is made by Bose, which is "high-end" for suckers.
    edited August 2018 philboogiemalicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I’d like to see the two compared side-by-side.

I suspect CarPlay is winning because the people that are buying the more expensive cars own IPhones.  It will be interesting to see what happens when both are options and included standard in every new vehicle.

It sounds like the + for Apple Maps is the interface, which is a backhanded complement because Google Maps in superior in maps and navigation.

I did notice Apple Maps use less data, which can be important when driving in areas of poor reception.

Will OS12 kick off with more people using Google Maps?  Or, will an improved Siri be impactful?
    philboogie
  • Reply 10 of 26
    These people must not use SiriusXM app. It’s buggy as hell. I’m not sure if that’s a CarPlay issue or just a buggy Sirius app but it’s incredibly annoying.
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 11 of 26
    snd7snd7 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    sflocal said:
    I use Apple Maps exclusively.  I think GoogleMaps's interface on iOS is horrible.  

I just wished my 2015 Ford Edge was CarPlay compatible. :(  FordSync (developed my Microsoft) is the worst steaming pile of crap ever invented.
    I can most definitely concur with your comment on FordSync, my wife bought a 2011 Explorer with that installed in the car and for the first 3 yrs or so her car was in shop more times trying to get the Ford Sync to work right and no matter how many times Ford updated the software or reboot the thing it has always had problems. There were times the AI would just repeat 'call ended' every minute so we'd have disconnect her phone from the thing. My next car will definitely have CarPlay.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    These people must not use SiriusXM app. It’s buggy as hell. I’m not sure if that’s a CarPlay issue or just a buggy Sirius app but it’s incredibly annoying.
    It's Sirius' app. It stinks. On at least its third incarnation now and they still can't get it right. It's like they don't even test it in the real world. Hopefully it will improve over time...just in time for them to rewrite the whole thing again.
    rogifan_newwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    nunzy said:
    They're 'Mooned'.
    nunzy
  • Reply 14 of 26
    ... Google Maps and Waze, which are already working in the iOS 12 beta.

Again you say it's working. I have the beta, I have Google Maps. But how do you get it going?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I’m surprised, Waze is such a better nav than both Apple and Google maps. It’s the only one I use running iOS 12 beta. 
  • Reply 16 of 26
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    lkrupp said:
    I use Apple Maps exclusively now and have been very satisfied with its performance and accuracy. With the revelation that Google tracks you whether you have locations services turned off or not I don’t plan on using Google Maps anytime soon.
    The quality of Apple Maps depends from country to country.    Asking Siri to navigate to 5 main streets in Antwerp Belgium, it fails to deliver in 4 of out the 5 cases.  Sometimes Siri does not understand the street name, sometimes Apple Maps shows the wrong place on the map.

Google is the only reliable option where I live

• Reply 17 of 26
    carplay was a non-starter for me when it needed plugged in. I'm hoping wireless carplay is introduced ASAP. Looking to change my daily driver (Fiat 500X) in the next few months, as I'll likely run it for 2-3 years wireless carplay will be one of the deciding factors on which motor I choose.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sflocal said:

Ctrutchfield sells a variety of Apple CarPlay sets with adaptation to fit most any car.   All you need is the connection to power and your speakers -- and a big enough hole in your dash.   I used their detailed instructions to replace mine in a couple hours -- but a non-clutz could do it in less than half that time.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    adm1 said:
    carplay was a non-starter for me when it needed plugged in. I'm hoping wireless carplay is introduced ASAP. Looking to change my daily driver (Fiat 500X) in the next few months, as I'll likely run it for 2-3 years wireless carplay will be one of the deciding factors on which motor I choose.
    Yeh, I'm perplexed why it's taking so long for a wireless carplay.   We have wireless everything else. 

My non-CarPlay aftermarket JVC works so much better using Bluetooth than an Apple Lightening connector.   When I use the lightening connector the unit is all buggy and flaky and takes forever to connect and then it does connect it does wierd things.   With Bluetooth it connects quickly and works flawlessly (although all it does it take phone calls and play Apple Music).
  • Reply 20 of 26
    These survey is pointless because most less technical people buy iPhones and will choose CarPlay and they are less likely to use Carplay to it's fullest and find out all the kinks.  Someone who is on Android will chose Android and are usually more technically savvy and will always find bugs or limitations.  That's who most Android users are they will find something to criticize until it is the way they like it.