Apple Watch 'Series 4' leak shows slimmer chassis with larger screen & new watch face

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    melgross said:
    There is no way to tell, from that picture, whether the case is slimmer or not. I doubt Apple would make it slimmer. Remember they made it slightly thicker for the GPS model, for a larger battery. So unless some major battery breakthrough has occurred over a year, that won’t hsppen.

but the edge of the crown is definitely more rounded. My Series 3 crown is flat on the edge. The side button also looks to be flusher to the case as well, though that’s hard to tell for certain.

to be honest, the picture does NOT show a screen with less bezel. It looks to be the same. I’m looking at mine, and the complications are as far to the corners and edges as what I’m seeing in the picture. That doesn’t mean the screen isn’t larger (in the same case size), just that the picture isn’t evidence of it. Of course, we’ve had rumors that the case would be slightly larger to accommodate a larger screen, so that could be what we’re seeing. But I can’t tell that from the band attachment either, in this picture. It’s been said the case would just be 1.5 to 2mm larger, so that might not show up, if it was what we’re seeing. There could be some combination. A slightly larger case, and a screen that’s larger and goes slightly closer to the sides. If that’s so, then the better battery life could be the reason, with a slightly larger battery.
    Is it possible that the new side button is a solid state button? It looks pretty flush for it to be a spring-loaded button that's comfortable to use.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 92
    The UVI probably isn't coming from a sensor on the watch. It's a commonly known number for an area that gets a weather report. For example, every day when we listen to the local radio, they give us the forecast and tell us what the peak UV index will be for the day. Makes most sense to me that the watch is simply pulling that number from an internet weather source, and presenting it to you. It's a good idea, but it's not technically complicated.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    MintzMintz Posts: 18member
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

Total d bags, with no integrity.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    Rumor sites are not just for rumors... it's for getting as much info possible (leaks included) - and publish...
    If one doesn't like them - or feels like it ruins the surprise... then stay away...

I love the news/leaks - and knowing how products are evolving - not just finished product that's shipped... especially for the exciting products like Apple

• Reply 24 of 92
    melgross said:
    There is no way to tell, from that picture, whether the case is slimmer or not. I doubt Apple would make it slimmer. Remember they made it slightly thicker for the GPS model, for a larger battery. So unless some major battery breakthrough has occurred over a year, that won’t hsppen.

but the edge of the crown is definitely more rounded. My Series 3 crown is flat on the edge. The side button also looks to be flusher to the case as well, though that’s hard to tell for certain.

to be honest, the picture does NOT show a screen with less bezel. It looks to be the same. I’m looking at mine, and the complications are as far to the corners and edges as what I’m seeing in the picture. That doesn’t mean the screen isn’t larger (in the same case size), just that the picture isn’t evidence of it. Of course, we’ve had rumors that the case would be slightly larger to accommodate a larger screen, so that could be what we’re seeing. But I can’t tell that from the band attachment either, in this picture. It’s been said the case would just be 1.5 to 2mm larger, so that might not show up, if it was what we’re seeing. There could be some combination. A slightly larger case, and a screen that’s larger and goes slightly closer to the sides. If that’s so, then the better battery life could be the reason, with a slightly larger battery.
    I was thinking along those lines too. The things I like the most about this are the new color, and the subtle (but still present) 3g indicator on the crown. I'm guessing that all the complications being pushed out far into the corners is a good indication that there will actually be a larger screen size, but who knows. I'm *really* hoping that the new color indicates a new material, like liquid metal.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

Is it possible that the new side button is a solid state button? It looks pretty flush for it to be a spring-loaded button that's comfortable to use.
    The talk is that Apple might be replacing both the physical button and crown with solid state versions. The crown uses an optical encoder, so they could replace that with a semiconductor sensor. The button could be a resistive sensor, responding to pressure, or a capacitive one, but I would think that it would be too sensitive.

both would give better sealing than now. I would just love to see the Watch being pressure resistant to 100 meters, but that’s likely too much to ask.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Mintz said:
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    Rumor sites are not just for rumors... it's for getting as much info possible (leaks included) - and publish...
    If one doesn't like them - or feels like it ruins the surprise... then stay away...

I love the news/leaks - and knowing how products are evolving - not just finished product that's shipped... especially for the exciting products like Apple

Leaks are fun, even though it takes some of the wind out of Apple’s sails during their presentation.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    greg uvan said:
    The UVI probably isn't coming from a sensor on the watch. It's a commonly known number for an area that gets a weather report. For example, every day when we listen to the local radio, they give us the forecast and tell us what the peak UV index will be for the day. Makes most sense to me that the watch is simply pulling that number from an internet weather source, and presenting it to you. It's a good idea, but it's not technically complicated.
    Microsoft's Band had a UV sensor. Not a big deal and measuring actual exposure dosage would be far better than simply reporting the UV index from the local weather station. The wearer may be inside a vehicle, under an umbrella or awning, etc. 

I like what the AW4 looks like, if this is the real deal. Along with the new iPhone, all I can say is that it's going to be a rough fall for piggy banks. 
  • Reply 28 of 92
    GTF69GTF69 Posts: 2member
    My series 1 is due an update. Was hoping for an edition version, ceramic interests me. Still some details to watch out for on the 12th. 
  • Reply 29 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    GTF69 said:
    My series 1 is due an update. Was hoping for an edition version, ceramic interests me. Still some details to watch out for on the 12th. 
    Based on this report, my Series 3 is due for an update.
    jax44StrangeDaystoysandme
  • Reply 30 of 92
    seankill said:
    I have the Series 2, so it’s probably not worth an upgrade for me. My wife has the series 1, I might get her one of these for Christmas. 

Thank god they are tuning back the red dot on the crown, talk about a ***king ugly design feature. Beyond me why Apple had red dots and thought they looked good. And I generally don’t care about colors too much. 
    I agree. One reason why I skipped the series 3 was that stupid red dot on the cellular. The other was I already had a 2. Didn’t seem worth it just to gain cellular. But that series 4 is beautiful! I might have to upgrade finally. Now, just wish the phones looked just as good. The design of the X and now the new ones this year are butt ugly! Who the hell approved that ugly camera on the back?! It’s sharp edges are in stark contrast to the smooth, fluid design of the rest of the phone. It looks like they forgot it and just super glued it to the glass at the last minute. I’m in no way interested in the phones (again) this year. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 92
    svanstrom said:

Then… stop reading news, dipshit. ߤ禺wj;♂️ 
    I don't think you understand how low of an intelligence level you need to have to consider that a valid point, not to mention doubling down with a weak and petty insult.

Kinda pathetic.

So many Fragile Felicia's getting triggered.
    Sure, but the lowness needed to reply to that kind of lowness… That be some real bad lowness, fam.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    LukeCage
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Damn, that’s nice! Just got a Series 3 LTE model in Dec but this makes me want to upgrade. Too bad there isn’t a trade-in/upgrade program like with the iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:

Yeh, and besides, I'm skeptical about the "thinner" because, especially among athletes, battery life has been the single biggest complaint.   (The watch won't last through a marathon unless you run really fast!).  Plus, as they add more gunk on (like LTE and streaming Apple Music), that's only going to reduce battery life even further.  

I'll be surprised if its thinner.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    NY1822 said:
    So the rumor of a solid state crown (like the iphone 7 home button) might not be true..
    It can stick out and still be "solid state".
  • Reply 35 of 92
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 36 of 92
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    melgross said:

I don't think that it is slimmer, but if you compare the corner radii, the new one definite looks to have increased the fillet radii at the corners. It looks much more organic.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    I really don't get the dislike for the red dot. It's distinctive!
    patchythepiratetoysandmepeterhart
  • Reply 38 of 92
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Apple market cap headed for two trillion
  • Reply 39 of 92
    I count 9 complications. 4 outside the ring, 4 inside the ring and one on the ring itself (calendar meeting)
  • Reply 40 of 92
    That doesn’t look like rose gold aluminum. Is there a way to make rose gold steel?