Apparent iOS 12 beta bug causes never-ending notifications to update software

Posted:
in iPhone
Testers running Apple's latest iOS 12 beta are encountering a peculiar issue that causes a software update prompt to repeatedly appear on screen, forcing users to manually dismiss the message over and over.

On Thursday, a handful of social media posts from iOS 12 beta testers, both developers and members of Apple's public beta program, detail what appears to be a bug in the latest evaluation version of iOS. The number of complaints continues to grow as more users are subjected to the erroneous notification.

In all cases, users are greeted with a popup that reads, "A new iOS version is now available. Please update from the iOS 12 beta." Users have the option of closing the window, but the OS leaves no route to update because there is no update available.

AppleInsider has confirmed the popup presents itself upon unlocking, while clearing the notification prevents it from appearing again until the device next wakes. Some users have reported seeing the popup when invoking Control Center, while others receive the message at random intervals, though such activity has not been confirmed.

According to developer Guilherme Rambo, a date calculation bug in Springboard appears to be causing the perpetual popup notifications.

"It looks like this method in Springboard does some date/time calculations to determine if the current build is about to expire, every time the cover sheet gets dismissed. For some reason, the latest builds of iOS 12 think they're about to expire," Rambo said in a tweet.

Apple has yet to comment on the matter and it is unclear when the company will push out a fix for the issue.

The update bug comes less than two weeks before Apple is expected to release iOS 12 to the public at a special media event on Sept. 12. Apple is widely anticipated to unveil new hardware at the event, including three new iPhone models, a redesigned Apple Watch and more. AppleInsider will be providing live coverage of the announcements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Lol yeah sometime Fishy is going on
  • Reply 2 of 58
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Yep I’m getting this.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I see this dialog every time I bring the iPhone out of sleep :-(  A little disturbing to see these kinds of problems in such a late beta.  I’m actually encountering an even worse one in this late beta: my phone crashes/reboots whenever I view a complex PDF and try to zoom in.  Very annoying since our architect has been sending us floor plans we were supposed to comment on :-(
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 4 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    This bug has been occurring in the last two developer betas. It doesn’t appear to have any negative side effects, for example, crashes or data loss. I’ve only been seeing this a day or two after the installation of a new beta. On the previous beta it only occurs one time. I was attributing this to the fact that I was preemptively installing the beta rather than waiting for the update to be automatically installed. I’m assuming it would install automatically since I have auto updates turned on.
    longpathlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 58
    It seemed to just start for me 
  • Reply 6 of 58
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    That's why it's called a Beta. Apple will fix it.

All software has bugs. Nothing to see here, folks.
    edited August 2018 lolliverracerhomie3svanstrom
  • Reply 7 of 58
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Been seeing that since the last update. Thought it might just be me using ancient hardware (iPad Air), but interesting it's a general error.

I was basically ignoring it, since it wasn't killing anything, and the iPad itself is having other problems.

• Reply 8 of 58
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    I've been encountering this bug. It doesn't appear every time I unlock my phone, maybe just a couple of times a day. It's the first consistent bug I have experienced in iOS 12 and only showed up in the most recent release.

Other than this my aging iPhone 6s has been functioning better under iOS 12 beta than it did with iOS 11.4

• Reply 9 of 58
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I have that bug and I was wondering why I wasn't seeing updates. Glad it wasn't just my iPad. 
  • Reply 10 of 58
    This is happening to me too it started like yesterday for me.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    It is so annoying every time I pull down the notification thing and push it back up it comes up
  • Reply 12 of 58
    SuperNaturalSuperNatural Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    been a pretty buggy beta experience overall. hopefully apple isn't losing it's shine.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    SeaSiderSeaSider Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This seems to have just started for me within the last 24-36 hrs or so.  I just though Apple was getting really pushy with this update, but it does not exist.  I consistently see it at each-and-every screen unlock or swipe-down for Notification Center.  Pretty annoying, but prior to this, it's actually been a decent beta experience.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    tjwolf said:
    I see this dialog every time I bring the iPhone out of sleep :-(  A little disturbing to see these kinds of problems in such a late beta.  I’m actually encountering an even worse one in this late beta: my phone crashes/reboots whenever I view a complex PDF and try to zoom in.  Very annoying since our architect has been sending us floor plans we were supposed to comment on :-(
    Betas are to test software and flush out bugs. It’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to. Sounds like you don’t really need a beta and instead prefer a production build. 
    lolliversvanstrombonobobmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleeplamboaudi4
  • Reply 15 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

been a pretty buggy beta experience overall. hopefully apple isn't losing it's shine.
    Nonsense. It’s been remarkably stable from the beginning of the betas. Oh, but doom! Beware the ides of March!
    JaiOh81lolliveriantimmy123MisterKitfastasleeplamboaudi4
  • Reply 16 of 58
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    anome said:

Been seeing that since the last update. Thought it might just be me using ancient hardware (iPad Air), but interesting it's a general error.

I was basically ignoring it, since it wasn't killing anything, and the iPad itself is having other problems.

How is iOS 12 performance?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    This is happening on my devices that were running the betas for IOS 11
  • Reply 18 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    ERROR710 said:
    This is happening to me too it started like yesterday for me.
    Just noticed the notification related trigger. This should make it easier for the devs to fix the bug.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    tjwolf said:
    Are you using beta on the phone for work? Talk about self-inflicted pain :neutral: 
    lolliversvanstrombonobobmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 58
    I’ve been having this issue for about 24 hours. It’s annoying but I’m sure Apple will get the final kinks out by roll out. 
    lolliver