Apparent iOS 12 beta bug causes never-ending notifications to update software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Found out a solution for that as Mr.Rambo said its a time caliculating bug. We have to decide between two annoying things. The irritating screen popup or clear our call list and change the date back a few days. It worked for me on my 6s and iPhone X  Check if it works on your devices.
    FoergeGorman
  • Reply 22 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Are people here in the beta program that have nothing to do with actually testing it?

It’s “Beta”.  The “B” might as well stand for “Bugs”.  Why is this even being reported on?  Slow day?
    racerhomie3xDPH711xStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 58
    srinag said:
    Found out a solution for that as Mr.Rambo said its a time caliculating bug. We have to decide between two annoying things. The irritating screen popup or clear our call list and change the date back a few days. It worked for me on my 6s and iPhone X  Check if it works on your devices.
    I have found aswell that you don’t need to clear your call list. Just setting the date back a few days was sufficient for my device. 
  • Reply 24 of 58
    srinag said:
    I did this but went one step further and restored the time back to the correct date. Worked. Big has gone away. 
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 25 of 58
    sflocal said:
    Are people here in the beta program that have nothing to do with actually testing it?

It’s “Beta”.  The “B” might as well stand for “Bugs”.  Why is this even being reported on?  Slow day?
    Because it’s comment threads like these that help Apple solve these bugs a bit faster and ultimately save the devs time.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Yep I’m getting this.
    Me too.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    sflocal said:

Because it’s comment threads like these that help Apple solve these bugs a bit faster and ultimately save the devs time.
    No, it’s the Bug Report app on the phone.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Again, Apple is mot what it used to be. Why does she has to tell me when to update? Can i just happily stay at the os i am at?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Same here, its driving me crazy
  • Reply 30 of 58
    This bug has been "bugging" me for the last two days.  I updated Tuesday, so I wasn't sure why i was getting this notification days after updating.  I noted a similar pop up in the last beta, but once you dismissed it, it didn't come back. 

link to comment: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3085911/#Comment_3085911

Rather than tying these notifications to the expiry date of the previous beta, Apple should check your iOS version and badge the app just like with normal iOS updates.  I guess they really wanted to push everyone's testing to the latest beta.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 31 of 58
    "It looks like this method in Springboard does some date/time calculations"

That might explain the bug I reported with Siri.
    If you have a contact that includes their birthdate (month, date, and year) and you ask Siri how old they'll be on their next birthday, it replies with an age that is 1 year off.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    sflocal said:

Are you actually in software development?? I’ve been doing it for decades, and the field-update mechanism of a product is something you want to really nail early. It’s the one thing that, if it becomes inoperable, leads to a complete support meltdown. The fact that it’s buggy 12 days before go-live and for a product where Apple actively encourages non-developers to try it *IS* a little scary, and definitely newsworthy.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 33 of 58
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    littmanji said:
    srinag said:
    I did this but went one step further and restored the time back to the correct date. Worked. Big has gone away. 
    I tried this and it didn’t work. Strangely, the backlighting turned itself off when I changed the date back. I locked and unlocked, didn’t see the notification anymore (and the backlighting came back). Then set the time back to now and the notifications came back with every unlock or Notification Center view. Bummer of a bug!
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 34 of 58
    GrumpyBearGrumpyBear Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Also getting this but with IOS 11 beta as well
  • Reply 35 of 58
    kenmileskenmiles Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Mine started two days ago, just appearing on initial unlock in the morning but today it appearts every time I unlock. iPhone X.
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Got this on the previous 2 public betas but on this latest one it's MUCH more frequent - like every time I unlock the phone. It's a beta build tho and if that's the worst I have to deal with then well done Apple! I've had much worse experience with expensive supposedly "final build" software at my work.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Atul JainAtul Jain Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It's very frustrating, The prompt appears every now and then. And everything when i unlock the phone.
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 38 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cgar15 said:
    Again, Apple is mot what it used to be. 
    Thank heavens.  Who wants a company that stands still?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    This is what beta releases are for. However, if the bug is as described and tied to an expiration date it seems like it's an odd bit of logic. These types of update services are typically either Push based where the server pushes a message to the client device to inform the device of a change, or Pull based where the client device periodically checks with the server to see if any changes are needed. Engaging the user through a popup notification should always be conditional either way, i.e., only done if a change is necessary. Strange.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    BrayChefBrayChef Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This Beta has got to be the buggiest one yet. I am getting this pop up as well and although it doesn’t do any harm, it is still quite worrisome that Apple would even release a Beta with this type of issue. It’s as if they are messing with us. I do not expect another update until the final version of 12, so get used to this, people.