Apple Watch Series 1 is world's most popular smartwatch, as shipments grow 37 percent

Posted:
in Apple Watch
On the eve of an expected new Apple Watch unveiling, the smartwatch category is booming worldwide, with Apple leading it with a 41 percent market share. That's according to new research from Counterpoint.

Counterpoint Research's smartwatch rankings, August 2018

The latest survey from Counterpoint Research shows that Apple continues to dominate the global market for smartwatches, although its lead over Fitbit has shrunk.

According to the firm's Global Smartwatch Tracker, Apple leads the category with 41 percent marketshare worldwide, followed by Fitbit with 21 percent. Every other competitor, including Fossil, Garmin, and Samsung, is at 5 percent or lower.

Apple's market share actually dropped from 48 percent a year ago to 41 percent, as Fitbit jumped from 8 percent to 21 percent.

As for individual models, the Series 1 is the best-selling smartwatch in the world, comprising over 90 percent of all Apple Watch sales worldwide. It is followed by the Fitbit Versa and the Amazfit BIP. The Apple Watch Series 3 ranks fourth with the Fitbit Ionic fifth.

Apple Watch individual brand leaders, from Counterpoint Research

"Despite initial hype and traction of cellular based Apple Watch Series 3 in the first two quarters, Apple iPhone users are actually choosing the Series 1 as a non-cellular option over Series 3 non-cellular model which is surprising to many industry watchers," Counterpoint Research Director Neil Shah said in the release.

"This also shows Apple users are choosing Series 3 preferably if they want to add cellular connectivity, else Series 1 remains the most popular model contributing to almost nine out of ten Apple Watch sold in Q2 2018. While this is great for Apple from an ecosystem perspective, from an ASP perspective it is not the same bump as Apple would expect with newer iPhone models every year."

Apple is expected to unveil an Apple Watch Series 4 at its upcoming "Gather Round" event on Sept. 12. A leak that surfaced Thursday featured a larger display and a reduced bezel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I’ll bet they don’t have data from Apple stores and Apple online sales so this data is flawed.
    chabigalbegarcradarthekatlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    This study just doesn’t make sense and must have been based on old data.  I work in a busy hospital and two years ago, one would see FitBits on many people and only a few AWs but now it has dramatically flipped.  I almost never see a FitBit on a healthcare worker.  Now it is a sea of AWs.  That change happened dramatically with the release of Series 3.

Likewise, I see very few FitBits in the wild anymore.
    jahbladeclaire1lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I know this sounds like a broken record but so be it. Many here scoffed at the idea of an Apple watch being successful. The device was eviscerated by every swinging dick analyst out there. Apple tech blog denizens tore into it like hungry piranhas. They have mocked it ever since down to its red crown. Tim Cook had failed to deliver the next big thing. Android Gear would prevail FTW. To this very day we have comments saying the Watch won't succeed unless it has a round face.

They were all wrong. Bottom line? Don't ever take the comment section of an Apple tech blog seriously. The self-styled technorati who live in these places are no better than the analysts who have been predicting Apple's demise for over forty years now.
    edited August 2018 racerhomie3DAalsethradarthekatjahbladeclaire1lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple is doomed. Doomed I tell ya!
    claire1
  • Reply 5 of 18
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Anecdotal data: I I hadn’t found an excellent deal on a Series 2 Aluminum Watch with my favorite band, the Millenese loop, I would have definitely gotten the Series 1 .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Not really surprising to me.  I have an AW2 (only because my AW1 cracked falling out of a locker face down) and it's main/only improvement over the AW1 (other than a little better responsiveness) is its water resistance (maybe it also has GPS but I don't notice or use that as my phone is always with me during workouts).  I looked forward to the AW3 - hoping for more sensors and maybe a slimmer look.  Instead I got cellular.  Now, that *would have* gotten me to upgrade if it didn't mean an extra monthly tithe to the telecoms.  If you think about it, why are they charging extra for giving you cellular signal on one device while the other is not making use of the cellular network?  I was hoping that Apple would use its software SIM intelligently and simply share that "SIM" between watch and phone.  I guess one stumbling block would be that the iPhones don't yet have software SIM capabilities?  Anyway that's what I'll be waiting for before I get a cellular-enabled version of an AW.

So, anyway, the AW3 didn't really provide any additional capabilities over the AW2 (except, again, a mild responsiveness improvement) - and that's probably why Apple discontinued the AW2 when the AW3 was announced.

The rumors have the AW4 sport a bigger screen - thanks to smaller bezels - and, possibly, a slimmer body.  Some rumors have it include more sensors.  The latter would get me to upgrade, of course, but I don't see that rumor panning out.  What could those sensors be?  Glucose monitoring is being bandied about - that would be a huge deal - but looking at recent Apple patent filings, I don't think they're there yet.

In summary: if you have a working AW1 and don't care about water resistance or cellular or a slightly bigger screen or slimmer body, you have no reason to upgrade your AW1 to an AW4.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    tjwolf said:
    Not really surprising to me.  ...

So, anyway, the AW3 didn't really provide any additional capabilities over the AW2 (except, again, a mild responsiveness improvement) - and that's probably why Apple discontinued the AW2 when the AW3 was announced.

In summary: if you have a working AW1 and don't care about water resistance or cellular or a slightly bigger screen or slimmer body, you have no reason to upgrade your AW1 to an AW4.
    I agree with the first bit.  Series 1 is popular because it sells for less and appears to look and function exactly the same as the Series 3.

But the "summary" is a bit silly.  Couldn't you say that about any new product?  "If you don't care about [rumored list of new features for an unannounced product], you have no reason to upgrade."
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 8 of 18
    tjwolf said:
    Now, that *would have* gotten me to upgrade if it didn't mean an extra monthly tithe to the telecoms. 
    You realize the monthly fee is only when you turn on the cellular functionality and can be turned off at any time, right?

I had an AW1, my wife has an AW2, I still have a AW0 and an AW3. The AW3 is much better than all of them, simply from a general use standpoint. 
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Does popular mean successful in this case? Is Apple actually selling enough AppleWatches for it to be considered as a successful product? It does seem to have dominant market share percentage which usually seems to impress Wall Street.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Does popular mean successful in this case? Is Apple actually selling enough AppleWatches for it to be considered as a successful product? It does seem to have dominant market share percentage which usually seems to impress Wall Street.
    I guess you can spin anything negative, eh? It's the most popular but it's not successful? Probably coming from someone who doesn't wear or see the usefulness of any watch in the 21st century?
    bb-15claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    tjwolf said:
    Not really surprising to me.  ...

I agree with the first bit.  Series 1 is popular because it sells for less and appears to look and function exactly the same as the Series 3.

But the "summary" is a bit silly.  Couldn't you say that about any new product?  "If you don't care about [rumored list of new features for an unannounced product], you have no reason to upgrade."
    Yes, agreed. Also, if you don’t care about speed and the time it takes to do things.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    lkrupp said:
    I know this sounds like a broken record but so be it. Many here scoffed at the idea of an Apple watch being successful. The device was eviscerated by every swinging dick analyst out there. Apple tech blog denizens tore into it like hungry piranhas. They have mocked it ever since down to its red crown. Tim Cook had failed to deliver the next big thing. Android Gear would prevail FTW. To this very day we have comments saying the Watch won't succeed unless it has a round face.

They were all wrong. Bottom line? Don't ever take the comment section of an Apple tech blog seriously. The self-styled technorati who live in these places are no better than the analysts who have been predicting Apple's demise for over forty years now.
    Some of us are far better, not even close, not even a race.  Got the historical investment returns to prove that.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    These people get their data from where again?  Are these the people who track your email receipts?

I think they are missing most of the AW  sales that are made directly in an Apple Store or elsewhere with no receipt in the inbox.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    badmonk said:
    This study just doesn’t make sense and must have been based on old data.  I work in a busy hospital and two years ago, one would see FitBits on many people and only a few AWs but now it has dramatically flipped.  I almost never see a FitBit on a healthcare worker.  Now it is a sea of AWs.  That change happened dramatically with the release of Series 3.

Yup.... around me it was ‘series 3 cellular’ that made a lot of people siting on the fence jump on board .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Its is one of the most unsuccessful products that is extremely popular! I see it everywhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Every time Apple releases something, the closes knockoff is 2nd place. I knew FitBit Versa would fill that role nicely.

• Reply 17 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    badmonk said:

Yet there are folks that post here claiming they never see AW in the wild. Hmmmm. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Clearly, the image is disinformation. "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! This is also an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 and Series 3, as discussed above, which are almost identical.