The best bags & sleeves for Apple's 2018 MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
If you're actually using a MacBook Pro for what it's built for -- portability -- you're going to need a way of toting it around, whether in its own bag or protected in a sleeve. These are some of the best options on the market.

Peak's Everyday Messenger.
Peak's Everyday Messenger.

Peak Design Everyday Messenger

peak-everyday-messenger

The Everyday Messenger is sold in 13- and 15-inch sizes ($219.95/$249.95), and equipped with a number of niceties such as a weatherproof shell, clip attachments, and a magnetic latch. Perhaps its most distinguishing trait though is its "origami-inspired" dividers, which create new ways to divvy up space. Photographers in particular might appreciate this.

Mujjo Sleeve

Mujjo Sleeve

Mujjo's leather and felt sleeves ($67.59 for 13-inch, $72.42 for 15-inch) also include compartments for thin objects like documents, cards, and earbuds. Black and tan versions are available, though color choice only affects the flap.

Picaso Lab Classic

picaso-classic

The stitched leather Classic comes in several different color variations: brown, tan, black and red, and brown and red. Prices range from $96 to $119. The premium sleeve can also be engraved with your name or initials for a personalized feel that looks great in a corporate setting.

Booq Mamba Sleeve

booq Mamba MacBook Pro sleeve

The Mamba ($40) is a simple sleeve that uses a waterproof "jute" exterior matched with a soft interior lining. There aren't any special pockets, but you can get it tailored to any Pro, with or without a Touch Bar. We'd recommend this for most people who don't need a full-size bag.

Booq Saddle Pro

Booq Saddle Pro

Meant to be a do-it-all work and travel bag, the Saddle Pro (reg. $295) can fit any laptop up to 16.4 inches, and many other items including your iPhone, documents, a water bottle, and even a change of clothes. A removable accessory pouch can hold objects like charging cables and SD cards, and you can even mount a trolley (of your own) for rolling through airport terminals.

Apple Leather Sleeve

Apple Leather Sleeve for MacBook Pro

For a slim sleeve that is designed specifically for the 2018 MacBook Pro, Apple sells 13- ($179) and 15-inch ($199) covers in black, "Midnight Blue," and "Saddle Brown." Made of European leather with a soft microfiber lining, our team found them to be well made in our recent hands-on review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Interesting....I just removed the clear plastic, snap-on protector for my 2017 rose gold MacBook. I found myself only using it at home, library, etc.

The Apple rose gold finish is exquisite and the cover detracted from the look and feel of the laptop.

Going to the sleeve for protecting it while out-and-about.

Thanks for the reviews. :)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MacMDMacMD Posts: 10member
    I own the Booq Saddle Pro. I really like the conservative ballistic nylon material and the expandable size that allows me to use it for daily light duty as well as travel. 
    Unfortunately I can’t recommend the bag due to it’s build quality and less than desirable durability. The stitching at the seams started coming apart within 2 months and the material on the front pocket started to fray within 3 months. I really wish it would hold up to regular use like a $300 bag should, but unfortunately that isn’t the case. 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    AsParallelAsParallel Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Best bags, if you're 200lbs and 6'5".

Those bags are 4lbs empty. Put a MacBook pro, charger etc in it and it's 15% of my body weight. For the rest of us, something like the timbuk2 prospector and prospector mini is a better option.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 4 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple’s sleeve is priced like an April fools joke.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I bought this one in the Apple Store, and have been very pleased: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLKY2ZM/A/incase-13-icon-sleeve-with-woolenex-for-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-3-port-usb-c?fnode=fca9407885c5d8dfaff66bd467668f5adc6bc1dde290831bfb4b2f8c591863808c2ea8328f0018f6491c1888f1e43d6198772665cfeb62ae747327347c6edb225e6fad91645a5ebcdff3d0579f14b5dbb8e1429b07280f49272a187a5d8d4f45

This was one month before Apple released their letter sleeve. Glad I didn't get to choose since they are booth really nice looking and really expensive!