Beyond the new 'iPhone Xs,' what to expect from Apple's Sept. 12 'Gather round' special ev...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    Been a Mac owner since a second hand SE/30 in '92 and my mom brought home a Mac in '85. Too many models to share here, including some purchased when Apple was 90 days from running out of cash and needed an infusion from Microsoft!  Many friends thought I was crazy to still be buying new Macs in those days.

Owned several of their peripherals too: inkjet printer made primarily by Canon, external CD Rom drive, QuickTake 150 digital camera, several upgrades of iPod, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV. 

I agree with others that I am missing the ease of upgrading, especially soldered on memory I see as a mistake! Yet here I am updating 2 Mac Minis to SSD this evening for a friend as that still makes a nice speed boost.  

The faithful carried Apple in its darkest hours. There would be no iMac iPod and (later) iPhone without us. Microsoft would have had no company left to give a cash infusion to survive and aid in closing out the court case.  Not the case about the patent; rather the European Union monopoly case against them. 

Now Apple is bigger than Microsoft. 

I think there is a soft spot at Apple for computers.  Even with growth in other areas, I think they will still be making them for many more years.  Ford still makes the Mustang. It's part of their heritage.  Apple will still make computers - its their heritage, too. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 74

Credit: 9to5

That's no iPhone. It's the new Magic Mouse!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

It’s a flat earth.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 74
    A phone company announces its annual event for its latest phones. It also announces it will no longer make computers as they are a sideline business, and takes up too much time, few sales, and have lost interest in making the best computers. Making phones is easier and more profitable. The software division that made iWork, Final Cut, Aperature, Mac Server etc will also be disbanded, as they haven't done anything in years anyway. No one will miss them. No professional laptops (15" are just toys), no pro desktop Mac worth buying since 2013, no 17" laptop since 2012, no new Mac Mini, since ...I forgot it was so long ago. Old computers with old processors, old graphics cards, no user upgradable RAM, tiny RAM limit of 32Gb, same old high prices. Apple should give 5 year warranties. After 25 years as a Mac user, I am considering those PeeCees sadly. Cheaper, faster, 17" laptops, powerful desktop models.
    Woe is you.  Also, you forgot to bitch about no matte screen on the laptops.
    williamlondontmaycornchip
  • Reply 25 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

No, I dropped a contact lens... no one move!
  • Reply 26 of 74
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

While I knew it was a phone, the thought of Magic Mouse did occur to me. This is Apple showing how the OLED screen's black blends into absolute black.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    guscatguscat Posts: 59member
    lkrupp said:
    sumergo said:
    eightzero said:
    A phone company announces its annual event for its latest phones. It also announces it will no longer make computers as they are a sideline business, and takes up too much time, few sales, and have lost interest in making the best computers. Making phones is easier and more profitable. The software division that made iWork, Final Cut, Aperature, Mac Server etc will also be disbanded, as they haven't done anything in years anyway. No one will miss them. No professional laptops (15" are just toys), no pro desktop Mac worth buying since 2013, no 17" laptop since 2012, no new Mac Mini, since ...I forgot it was so long ago. Old computers with old processors, old graphics cards, no user upgradable RAM, tiny RAM limit of 32Gb, same old high prices. Apple should give 5 year warranties. After 25 years as a Mac user, I am considering those PeeCees sadly. Cheaper, faster, 17" laptops, powerful desktop models.
    bye
    Hey eightzero, you could cut Macman1993 a little slack - he has a lot of valid points.

Apple IS apparently reducing it's commitment to Macs, Displays, Airport . . .  in favour of services and phones.  They know what sells and what doesn't - we don't.
    Yes, it is sad, from another long term Apple user's perspective, that the market is encouraging Apple management and the Ive "design team" to focus their development and product delivery in the way they are currently doing.

It may be tough for us, who might prefer a different business model, but just check out AAPL stocks to see what Wall Street might finally be getting about Apple's business competency . . .
    Hell hath no fury like a Mac user scorned. No place to go but down to the abomination that is the Windows PC. Using the bland and colorless platform the rest of the world uses, the true lemmings. No more elegance, no more ease of use, a descent into the Hades of drivers and registry conflicts. Most pathetically, the groveling pleas for Apple not to abandon the loyal Mac users who made it what it is today. Guess what? Those loyal Mac users didn't make Apple what it is today. The iPhone did. 
    There always seems to be someone who has to post the, "I'm finally leaving Apple because of blah blah blah" comment. Almost always this comment seems like a lie posted by someone who just doesn't like Apple, and somehow seems to think this is the best way to express that opinion. The fact that this person only has 3 posts I believe just makes it even less credible.
    fastasleepcornchipjcs2305
  • Reply 28 of 74
    sumergo said:
    eightzero said:
    bye
    Hey eightzero, you could cut Macman1993 a little slack - he has a lot of valid points.

Apple IS apparently reducing it's commitment to Macs, Displays, Airport . . .  in favour of services and phones.  They know what sells and what doesn't - we don't.
    Yes, it is sad, from another long term Apple user's perspective, that the market is encouraging Apple management and the Ive "design team" to focus their development and product delivery in the way they are currently doing.

It may be tough for us, who might prefer a different business model, but just check out AAPL stocks to see what Wall Street might finally be getting about Apple's business competency . . .
    I also agree with Macman. He’s got a lot of valid points. Yea sadly, Apple is solely focusing on what’s making them money “right now.” But if, I shouldn’t say if...WHEN the smartphone is replaced by the next greatest device, I just hope Apple isn’t stuck with nothing to offer. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 74
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    sumergo said:
    eightzero said:
    bye

I also agree with Macman. He’s got a lot of valid points. Yea sadly, Apple is solely focusing on what’s making them money “right now.” But if, I shouldn’t say if...WHEN the smartphone is replaced by the next greatest device, I just hope Apple isn’t stuck with nothing to offer. 
    It's true.  As my posts have said, Apple will continue to move on and be the great business they are. I do indeed hope that they will continue demonstrating their commitment to desktop/laptop Macs but that's Apple Management's business.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Apple Watch: Clearly, the "leaked" image is disinformation. "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical.

Mac Mini: Will  be "Modular" meaning that it will be rackable or stackable in some way. Like a couple of MacMinis with a SuperDrive, a multi-Terabyte drive or two and an Airport Extreme one on top of the other, but with the same form factor and a clever way of connecting them. Notwithstanding the Xserve, a rack would be very non-Apple, so I expect something much more elegant than that. Better too than the RackMac MacMini product. 
  • Reply 31 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Classic troll...just like other newbies in AI! 
    williamlondonPickUrPoison
  • Reply 32 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    steveau said:
    Apple Watch: Clearly, the "leaked" image is disinformation. "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical.

Mac Mini: Will  be "Modular" meaning that it will be rackable or stackable in some way. Like a couple of MacMinis with a SuperDrive, a multi-Terabyte drive or two and an Airport Extreme one on top of the other, but with the same form factor and a clever way of connecting them. Notwithstanding the Xserve, a rack would be very non-Apple, so I expect something much more elegant than that. Better too than the RackMac MacMini product. 
    That’s your wishful thinking. Next!
    cornchip
  • Reply 33 of 74
    fallenjt said:
    steveau said:

That’s your wishful thinking. Next!
    Next? Well, if both of those wishes come true I'll have to aim higher, say dating a supermodel, scoring the winning goal at Wembley next year and partying on a super yacht! :smiley: 
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Bye! Apple won't notice you left.

edited September 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 36 of 74
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    steveau said:
    If I had to guess as it applies to the watch, it suggests the purported "rounded corners" of the new display which will push the display edge-to-edge like the iPhone X, and the rumored new iPad, as well as perhaps the entire iPhone line. "Round-rects", as Apple has been fond of using throughout it's history. Round building, rounded displays, round watch faces with complications gathered 'round both inside and outside the circle ... but these rounded corners are a step in the right direction as far as making current apps compatible with a future round display added to the AW model options. That way, maybe next year, when Apple introduces a round watch, all of the apps will be instantly compatible with it with minimal scaling. I will be very surprised if there's a round watch added this year. And if it is, I would expect it only to be the Edition.

As to your Mac mini speculation, I wouldn't be stunned to see a round mini, taking the place of the round Mac Pro. But that seems an unlikely development, especially for this event.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 37 of 74
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    steveau said:

So, I'm guessing that those "rackables" won't require you to run Windows, otherwise Intel NUC's make more sense. If so, the Mac Mini as an x86 device, isn't a great match for any future market.

A Mac Mini on ARM running Mac OS X seems a better fit to me, when it arrives, maybe even running a server processor from Qualcomm. Oh, the blasphemy of it!

Mac Book, Mac Book Pro, Mac Pro and iMac should stick with x86; I'm not seeing the Mac Mini having x86 as a necessity.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Wow, hard to believe AI is getting the iPad Pro so wrong. Assuming they’re accurate, the dimensions from the rumor you’re quoting and a little math informs that there will be no notch.

For the 12.9”, a simple shrink in physical size, both length and width, with the same display and a uniform bezel of approx 9mm.

For the 11.0”—not 10.5”—it’s a little more complicated. Same 9mm uniform bezel all the way around. (In portrait) an increase in width to accommodate the larger bezels as well as some decrease in height, for an iPad that’s basically the same size as the outgoing 10.5”.

But due to the (formerly) large bezels top and bottom, Apple is actually adding about 15mm of display to the height; width stays the same. Resolution likely to be 2385 x 1668. Aspect ratio 10:7. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 39 of 74
    One thing you might expect is a huge price increase. Guess who tweeted this today:

Apple prices may increase because of the massive Tariffs we may be imposing on China - but there is an easy solution where there would be ZERO tax, and indeed a tax incentive. Make your products in the United States instead of China. Start building new plants now. Exciting. #MAGA

williamlondonsdbryan
  • Reply 40 of 74
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I’m most interested in the A12X.

Apple has been challenging Intel at the low end for some time. I really want to see just how far they can take their A Series processors and how they match up against Intel for mobile. 
     Why the A12X and not the A12? Are you talking about the iPhone and/or iPad and/or other devices?
    edited September 2018