Apple Watch 'Series 4' leak shows slimmer chassis with larger screen & new watch face

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    macgui said:
    The red dot never bothered me. I don't believe it's out of place on the Watch lineup. That said, I do like the red ring even better. 

I'm curious about the case finish. Is the Gold Edition coming back? I don't think so. Is Apple making gold filled cases? Possibly. Gold plated? Not a chance. (I don't think so, anyway.)
    They've actually filed fewer SKUs than in years past. Either they're dropping the "Edition" altogether, or all models will be LTE.
    I hope all new models being LTE doesn’t mean they’re all going to be more expensive now. I’m never activating LTE so long as the carriers choose to charge an extra $10/mo for it.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 62 of 92
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    From this RENDERING (it's not a photograph!), I too don't know how it was concluded that the watch is slimmer with a larger display. It looks essentially the same to me (other than the colour). I hope the design is noticeably refined but I cannot tell from this rendering.

Still, I'm ready to upgrade my series 0.
    Apple promotional shots aren’t renderings, as a rule. They’re almost always actual photographs. 

https://www.theverge.com/2013/5/8/4311868/the-illusion-of-simplicity-photographer-peter-belanger-on-shooting
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 63 of 92
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    svanstrom said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
     I really dig that the edge-to-edge bigger screen with pop up colours icon. This year is going to be a year I finally replace my Gen 0 Steel AW. Ca't wait.
    For all the bitching and moaning about how the Apple Watch sucked it's amazing how many people have kept their Series 0 Watch for so many years. I finally jumped from Series 0 to Series 3 last year because of cellular due to a strong desire to move much of my iPhone usage to the Watch. With watchOS 5 I'm hoping that SiriusXM and Spotify will become stand-alone apps that will let keep my headphones paired with the Watch and allow me to use my iPhone even less. I'll have to wait and see, but I'm expecting that I'll get a Series 4 Watch and keep my iPhone 7 Plus for an unprecedented 3 years without an update when my norm was updating annually. I think that a testament to just how wonder the Apple Watch product is.
    Those of us that got the gen 0 steel AW really seem to have been more hardcore about sticking to it, and it does make us have to use a phone less; BUT…

We're also, on average, older; meaning that we're experiencing less peer pressure about always having to have the latest stuff, combined with that the phones have just gotten more expensive without adding any new must-have features (the last must-have for me was Touch ID).

So, why get a new phone when the old one is just as good as a new one would be?

I mean, I do like the edge-to-edge:ness of the screen on the iPhone X; but is it really a killer feature making all older iPhones obsolete?

What features are lacking, and that would straight up make all existing iPhones feel obsolete?

3D-screens/effects aren't really new, and has so far only made people head straight for the off-switch.

Holograms are just way too far into the future.

Augmented reality… would be awesome, but we have that without it being a killer feature (at least not until we get Apple Glasses; which wouldn't be a new phone, but a whole new product category).

Foldable displays? That size reduction would be revolutionary, but the tech will probably not scale enough to be used in an iPhone any time soon.

What else?
    You will see a big difference in responsiveness from your Gen0 watch even if you just go to a Gen1 much less a Gen3 (or soon a Gen4).  Plus, with GPS built in, you don't need to carry your phone when you're out running or cycling.
    Plus. if you're older, you might appreciate the "I've fallen and I can't get up" feature of the Gen3/4 with LTE.   You can call for help anytime, pretty much anywhere at the press of the side button.  Even in the shower because it's water proof.  And, you don't need your phone on you.

For the newer phones:  Until the X they were mostly just faster -- which can be a blessing.   But also, they added water resistance to them.  But the X added a new wrinkle:  A bigger screen in a smaller body.

Come on!   It's time to part with some of that cash!   :)

• Reply 64 of 92
    svanstrom said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
     I really dig that the edge-to-edge bigger screen with pop up colours icon. This year is going to be a year I finally replace my Gen 0 Steel AW. Ca't wait.
    For all the bitching and moaning about how the Apple Watch sucked it's amazing how many people have kept their Series 0 Watch for so many years. I finally jumped from Series 0 to Series 3 last year because of cellular due to a strong desire to move much of my iPhone usage to the Watch. With watchOS 5 I'm hoping that SiriusXM and Spotify will become stand-alone apps that will let keep my headphones paired with the Watch and allow me to use my iPhone even less. I'll have to wait and see, but I'm expecting that I'll get a Series 4 Watch and keep my iPhone 7 Plus for an unprecedented 3 years without an update when my norm was updating annually. I think that a testament to just how wonder the Apple Watch product is.
    Those of us that got the gen 0 steel AW really seem to have been more hardcore about sticking to it, and it does make us have to use a phone less; BUT…

We're also, on average, older; meaning that we're experiencing less peer pressure about always having to have the latest stuff, combined with that the phones have just gotten more expensive without adding any new must-have features (the last must-have for me was Touch ID).

I mean, I do like the edge-to-edge:ness of the screen on the iPhone X; but is it really a killer feature making all older iPhones obsolete?

What features are lacking, and that would straight up make all existing iPhones feel obsolete?

3D-screens/effects aren't really new, and has so far only made people head straight for the off-switch.

Augmented reality… would be awesome, but we have that without it being a killer feature (at least not until we get Apple Glasses; which wouldn't be a new phone, but a whole new product category).

Foldable displays? That size reduction would be revolutionary, but the tech will probably not scale enough to be used in an iPhone any time soon.

What else?
    You will see a big difference in responsiveness from your Gen0 watch even if you just go to a Gen1 much less a Gen3 (or soon a Gen4).  Plus, with GPS built in, you don't need to carry your phone when you're out running or cycling.
    Plus. if you're older, you might appreciate the "I've fallen and I can't get up" feature of the Gen3/4 with LTE.   You can call for help anytime, pretty much anywhere at the press of the side button.  Even in the shower because it's water proof.  And, you don't need your phone on you.

For the newer phones:  Until the X they were mostly just faster -- which can be a blessing.   But also, they added water resistance to them.  But the X added a new wrinkle:  A bigger screen in a smaller body.

I’m getting a gen 4 lte AW, there’s no doubt about that; but will most likely stick with my iPhone 7+ one more year. It was a gift given to me last summer, so it’s in no way worn out yet.

I’m not “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”-old, but I want improved health tracking; and i want to be able to leave my phone at home without being completely disconnected.
    edited August 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 65 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    I don’t understand this dislike for the red dot. Many watches have some distinguishing thing to indicate something special about that model. The red dot is it,for Apple. Mine is black SS with the red dot, which looks really good with black. I suppose,some,people will be happier with what it looks like Apple has done
    Most dislike it because out of place on a refined piece of equipment.  
    It doesn’t look unrefined to me. I like it. I’ve designed a number of things using red and black. Though, admittedly, on the natural SS model it doesn’t look as good. It looks good with the other colors.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 66 of 92
    As far as the gold goes, it could be titanium dioxide coating. That’s extremely hard, and wears very well. A lot of my drill bits, lathe bits and milling cutters are coated with it.

lots of bathroom and kitchen fixtures are also coated with this. Polish the metal first, and you get a polished finish. It’s not even that expensive to apply. I haven’t seen it on aluminum, and there are some difficulties applying it there, so filled adodizing is used. But it’s common on SS. Not as hard as the black carbon finish on my Watch and bracelet, which are amazingly resistant to scratching and abrasion, but pretty close.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    svanstrom said:
    svanstrom said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

What else?

I’m getting a gen 4 lte AW, there’s no doubt about that; but will most likely stick with my iPhone 7+ one more year. It was a gift given to me last summer, so it’s in no way worn out yet.

I’m not “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”-old, but I want improved health tracking; and i want to be able to leave my phone at home without being completely disconnected.
    That sounds like a very good plan!
  • Reply 68 of 92
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    I don’t understand this dislike for the red dot. Many watches have some distinguishing thing to indicate something special about that model. The red dot is it,for Apple. Mine is black SS with the red dot, which looks really good with black. I suppose,some,people will be happier with what it looks like Apple has done
    It doesn’t look unrefined to me. I like it. I’ve designed a number of things using red and black. Though, admittedly, on the natural SS model it doesn’t look as good. It looks good with the other colors.
    Having dinner at a very fancy restaurant I saw that the waiter was wearing an all black AW.

It was very discreet, and I spotted it only because I was looking for it.

His dark suit, the soft lighting… the AW fitted perfectly; where few other techie things would have been allowed to be carried openly.

That red dot would have clashed real bad; and he probably wouldn’t have been allowed to wear the AW with it.

Personally I like that the steel AW that I have, with the Milanese loop, give a real classic look; and that whole red dot just completely ruins it for me.

That red dot just does nothing except signal “look, I’ve got the more expensive version”; and that’s just bad taste. 
    GeorgeBMacspheric
  • Reply 69 of 92
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Having dinner at a very fancy restaurant I saw that the waiter was wearing an all black AW.

His dark suit, the soft lighting… the AW fitted perfectly; where few other techie things would have been allowed to be carried openly.

That red dot would have clashed real bad; and he probably wouldn’t have been allowed to wear the AW with it.

Personally I like that the steel AW that I have, with the Milanese loop, give a real classic look; and that whole red dot just completely ruins it for me.

That red dot just does nothing except signal “look, I’ve got the more expensive version”; and that’s just bad taste. 
    That’s nonsense, and you know it. Most of my life was either directly, or indirectly involved, professionally, with fashion. You’re making up a scenario that doesn’t exist. First of all, I’ve got one on my wrist right now, and even with good lighting, that red dot isn’t all that easy to see. It’s not bright red, it’s a subdued red. In dim lighting, you would have to grab the waiters wrist and hold it to the light to see the red. 

In addition, unless someone is wearing the watch on their right wrist, a very unusual place, the dot faces down. Most of the time the wrist isn’t going to be in a position for anyone to see more than the edge of the crown, and, at most, an occasional flash of the crown face.

so don’t make up situations that don’t exist in read life. As far as his not “being allowed” to wear it, that’s just total nonsense.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

Total d bags, with no integrity.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    You know you're reading this on AppleInsider, right?
    And? Do you have a point? Or do you prefer to just drop a petty comment without an opening for discussion?

Also, is there any way for you to not reflexively post something negative in reaction to my posts? Your apparent obsession with replying to my posts in a negative tone is getting obnoxious.
    1) I'm pointing out the stupidity of a comment where you bitch about one Apple rumour site reporting on a leak that you claim you no longer read because they reported on a leak while posting on a forum about about Apple rumour site reporting on that same leak.

2) If I've responded to other comments you've made it's either because you said something insightful or something stupid (but based this comment I'm guessing it's the latter), and while I do know many of the commenters on this forum you're not on my radar.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 71 of 92
    I really don't get the dislike for the red dot. It's distinctive!
    I never found it distinctive, intrusive, ugly, attractive, or any other terms people have used to describe it.

If they remove it from Series 4 I wonder if that's because they'll be making all future Apple Watches with cellular.

Because of laws (at least in my state) that require cellular devices to still be able to connect with emergency services even when there's no active account (as well as the potential for resale value) I've suggested that anyone buying a Series 3 Watch to consider getting the cellular model even if they don't plan to activate it.

I hope Cook will break down the popularity of each type in a couple weeks.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 72 of 92
    There's certainly room for it on the button side, but I have doubts that they'd do it know if they haven't done yet.

I wear my Watch on the top of my left wrist, but I wear it reversed so that the buttons are on the inside so my mic and speaker buttons do face outward. I've never had an issue with the mic or speaker, and wonder if that makes them work better when I do wear long sleeves since there's nothing obstructing the sound.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    It's like you've always said - inessential but indispensable (or something to that effect)!
    👍⌚️

Unnecessary, yet indispensable.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 74 of 92
    melgross said:
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

That’s nonsense, and you know it. Most of my life was either directly, or indirectly involved, professionally, with fashion. You’re making up a scenario that doesn’t exist. First of all, I’ve got one on my wrist right now, and even with good lighting, that red dot isn’t all that easy to see. It’s not bright red, it’s a subdued red. In dim lighting, you would have to grab the waiters wrist and hold it to the light to see the red. 

In addition, unless someone is wearing the watch on their right wrist, a very unusual place, the dot faces down. Most of the time the wrist isn’t going to be in a position for anyone to see more than the edge of the crown, and, at most, an occasional flash of the crown face.

so don’t make up situations that don’t exist in read life. As far as his not “being allowed” to wear it, that’s just total nonsense.
    It was at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in HK; and I said dim lights, not complete darkness.

That you can't spot it doesn't mean that other people can't.

And… yes… I can't say for sure that he wouldn't have been allowed to wear it, but it sure as heck would have looked tacky to me.

And… stop making up stories about how arms wearing watches are always carried straight down; they're neither that heavy, nor is that in any way, shape or form compatible with someone doing their job as a waiter.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Gee, that red dot looks terrible on this high-end watch:
    http://luxurylaunches.com/watches/leica-will-now-make-high-end-mechanical-watches.php

melgross
  • Reply 76 of 92
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Gee, that red dot looks terrible on this high-end watch:
    http://luxurylaunches.com/watches/leica-will-now-make-high-end-mechanical-watches.php
    [image]
    If I'm reading the specs correctly, that's 14mm thick while the Series 3 Watch (Apple's thickest) is only 11.4mm* thick. Isn't one of the major complaints about the Apple Watch was how thick it is?

* The website in which I found the info lists 11.4mm for both sizes and all casing types for the Series 3 Watch, except for the 38mm (smallest) ceramic which lists 11.8mm. I'm assuming that's a typo.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp766?locale=en_US
  • Reply 77 of 92
    I really don’t see much of a difference by looking at this pic. But just a few weeks will give us a better look.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Clearly, the "leaked" image is disinformation. "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    steveau said:
    Clearly, the "leaked" image is disinformation. "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical.
    You think that an entire event that will likely cover multiple products which includes the iPhone, their biggest seller by a large factor, has an event slogan that is only targeting the Apple Watch? Do you not see how the image has the same (or very similar) dimensions to the main Apple Park building?

If Apple foolishly puts a round display on the Watch I certainly won't be upgrading my Series 3.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    Soli said:
    steveau said:
    You think that an entire event that will likely cover multiple products which includes the iPhone, their biggest seller by a large factor, has an event slogan that is only targeting the Apple Watch? Do you not see how the image has the same (or very similar) dimensions to the main Apple Park building?

If Apple foolishly puts a round display on the Watch I certainly won't be upgrading my Series 3.
    Well… to be fair… the AW is probably their most important line of products right now.

There's no doubt about it that the AW (not just smartwatches in general, but the AW) is the future; and it is a future where we are much less dependent on carrying around phones all the time. Apple knows this, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's more talk about the AW than the iPhone this time around.

That being said, I seriously doubt that they'd make their whole next gen AWs round; there are even clues in watchOS that they are preparing to take better advantage of a rectangular shape (like with webkit previews for notifications).

So, it's much more likely that "round" is just a reference to the shape of their (newly completed) building; or perhaps even shared augmented reality.
    steveau