What it was like to give up my Apple Watch after three years of constant use

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    crowley said:
    Unlocking my Mac with my appleWatch would be a massive boon, if only it worked more than 10% of the time.  Most of the time..... nuh.
    Completely not normal.
    watto_cobraSolicornchip
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Started with original watch. Upgraded to Series 2 Nike. 

Question for those with two on the go. If you swap watches during the day, does the activity you have done transfer to the other watch when you put it on?

My watch goes through hell at work. I’m amazed I haven’t broken a screen yet. I’d like to get series 4 and keep using my series 2 only at work. Cheers. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 43 of 63
    So I have done the same thing but could only go without it for 1 day.  I was definitely missing the fitness features, the quick glance for messages and of course the time.  I went w/o any replacement.  It is clear to me the Apple Watch really is a great tool that makes things easier not more complicated!!!  Thanks for the article!!
    christopher126watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 63
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member

I started off with a Series 0 SS and am currently using the Series 2 Nike version. I've worn it every single day and close the move ring every day.
    I'll definitely be upgrading to the new one this year.

This is remarkable. Hope you have a "How To" book in the works! Or maybe someone on AI will be the first to consolidate such remarkable stories.... Likely a small cottage industry of coaches and advisors will pop up as Watch infiltrates more lives. What goals should I strive for? When should I up the bar? Should I travel to my cousin's wedding at the risk of my streak? ;-)
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 63
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    BTW I just got a special NPS badge this weekend and Apple put it on a "Top Shelf." Looks stunning. Not sure what it's all about. Though recall AI headline about a week ago. Count me among the trophy hunters too, inexplicably, as if I'm back in primary school seeking gold stars.  :smile: 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 63
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:
    I don’t understand the point of this article.
    Is english not your native tongue? Which paragraphs would you like help with?
    What were we supposed to gain? Author tried going without his Apple Watch for a week. Didn’t like it. The end? It feels like filler content to meet an article quota.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 47 of 63
    My question is will Apple raise the entry price of the S4 Watch? Rumors are we’ll only see LTE models with S4. With S3 aluminum the LTE model is $50 more. I hope that doesn’t happen. If anything Apple needs to get the entry price of Apple Watch down to $199. Do that an the product would really fly off the shelves. And for everyone who says Apple doesn’t play in the low end what was iPod nano and shuffle then?
  • Reply 48 of 63
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm conducting the mirror image of this test:  My iPhone 6+ developed Touch Disease and Apple has graciously offered to replace it for me even though the screen is cracked (Actually, bending it in my pocket caused both the cracked screen and the touch disease).   So, while I wait for that to happen, my AW series 1 is getting a work out.   On a scale of 1 to 10 it's coming in at 11!
  • Reply 49 of 63
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Started with original watch. Upgraded to Series 2 Nike. 

Question for those with two on the go. If you swap watches during the day, does the activity you have done transfer to the other watch when you put it on?

My watch goes through hell at work. I’m amazed I haven’t broken a screen yet. I’d like to get series 4 and keep using my series 2 only at work. Cheers. 
    You should check with Apple.   But, from a strictly amateur point of view I would say yes -- because it seems the activity is really recorded in the Health App on the iPhone.  It's kind of a central repository of potentially dozens of input sources.   So, I would say yes -- but double check before you hand over money.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 63

Yes, you’re activity is tracked by both and updated appropriately on both. I have a Series 0 and a Series 3. I mostly wear the 3 but my Series 0 is a SS Space Black with Link Bracelet that I usually wear out to dinner or to a more formal event. I’ve never had any issue with the Activity Rings showing all my activity for the day, even though I only wore the Series 0 out that night. It isn’t an immediate update, though, it can take a while for everything to sync up. 
  • Reply 51 of 63
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    As harsh a critic as I've been of the Apple Watch, I may be changing my mind in the next year or two and actually consider one.

The killer feature? Cellular emergency contact (in a water-proof device attached to me).... AND possibly better podcast/music support. Since I'm thinking about ocean kayaking, those might come in handy in terms of safety.

Otherwise, IMO, I'd just use my iPhone.

Also, for those in the know... what it would need to do to keep me happy, beyond just being able to make an emergency call, would be to store podcasts and/or music (enough for a few hours of listening) on the watch and be able to GPS track location, etc. for a few hours while playing back said podcast/music, etc. Is that realistic... would the battery hold out for something like that? ... AND still be able to make a few minute emergency call towards the end of that, assuming a full charge at the beginning?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 52 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    payeco said:
    payeco said:
    I don’t understand the point of this article.
    Is english not your native tongue? Which paragraphs would you like help with?
    What were we supposed to gain? Author tried going without his Apple Watch for a week. Didn’t like it. The end? It feels like filler content to meet an article quota.
    Insight into his experience. Do you not ever add, remove, or change something from your life? I do it constantly and periodically across a wide spectrum.

For instance, when the Series 3 Watch came out last year I bought it with cellular and then tried to leave my iPhone at home to see how functional the device was without being constantly tethered to the iPhone. It's much improved but watchOS 4 still didn't allow apps like Spotify and SiriusXM to work independently so I also gave Apple Music a try for 3 months with their free offer for new Apple Music sign ups. I also didn't care for Apple Music over Spotify, but that wasn't a dealbreaker for me and I could easily switch if other Watch and watchOS factored get shored up, which could happen this month.

And that's just a single experiment and experience which involved multiple items. I do it for countless other things and most of them don't involve technology, and some are even purposely unplugging myself from certain technologies in order to gauge dependence, utility, and other ways to make my life more efficient, more healthy, and to improve my general quality of life.
    edited September 2018 pscooter63cornchipwatto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 53 of 63
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    "the Apple Watch is a great way to unlock your Mac. It is almost instant whereas even using Touch ID feels like it lags"

I've noticed the reverse. It's almost always quicker for me to use touch ID or even enter my password than to wait fo ray apple watch to unlock either my desktop or laptop.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 54 of 63
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Like some of the other commenters, I am still using my Series 0. I never upgraded because ... this one still works fine. Only just now, 3.5 years later, am I realising that I must now charge it every night -- rather than every other night when I first got it. While I'm sure it is possible for a tech to replace the battery, I think I'm ready for a new one (at long last) come this Xmas or thereabouts.

Apart from Apple Pay and the normal watchface/complications use (by far the things I use the most), my Apple Watch mostly acts as a "conciege" for my iPhone -- letting important notifications (only) through. I also use it for directions while driving, skipping tracks playing via my iPhone while walking, having Siri take a message to deliver to spouse/friends, short replies to email, and yes fitness/health purposes.

I was avowed watch-hater before I got the Apple Watch, and I still snigger silently when I see someone with a conventional watch on their wrist -- why not carry a telegraph in your pocket for messages, GRANDDAD -- but I love what digital watches (and in particular the Apple Watch) can do beyond traditional "watch" functions. It boggles my mind that most people don't have a smartwatch -- I do see a fair number of "running bands" as I call them, but ... why? They're not much less than a Series 1, and they do SO VERY LITTLE and most of that not very well (they seem to wear out a lot faster as well, based on anecdotal evidence).

Among the other benefits, it really does help me keep my iPhone in my pocket most of the time -- which allows me to live much more in the moment and not become one of those phone zombies you see everywhere these days.
    pscooter63palomineGeorgeBMaccgWerks
  • Reply 55 of 63
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    crowley said:
    Unlocking my Mac with my appleWatch would be a massive boon, if only it worked more than 10% of the time.  Most of the time..... nuh.

I find that I have to manually enter my pw on most Mondays but the rest of the week - logs in no problem. Wonder wha ur issue is..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 63
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    stanhope said:
    Dragging the phone around is indeed a drag.  I have had an apple watch since the first version and I am delighted with how the device has come along.  The apple watch 3 has relegated my $17,000 Cartier Panther and several other expensive watches to the jewelry box.  I will be right there when preorders start for the AW4.  The nice side benefit is that when you go to sell one, the price holds up nicely.
     I was at the Apple Store two days ago and max they would pay $200 for my 42mm LTE Nike Series three that cost just shy of $500.  

You'll likely get more selling to a private party. Apple’s going to resell it... like trading a car in; you’re always going to get a worse deal.

chasm said:
    Like some of the other commenters, I am still using my Series 0. I never upgraded because ... this one still works fine. Only just now, 3.5 years later, am I realising that I must now charge it every night -- rather than every other night when I first got it.  

FWIW I turned off raise to wake. Cuts battery usage almost in half for me.

edited September 2018 watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 57 of 63
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    MplsP said:
    "the Apple Watch is a great way to unlock your Mac. It is almost instant whereas even using Touch ID feels like it lags"

I've noticed the reverse. It's almost always quicker for me to use touch ID or even enter my password than to wait fo ray apple watch to unlock either my desktop or laptop.
    I’ve found the Apple Watch login to be machine dependent. On my 2013 MacBook Pro it works spectacularly. On my 2014 Mac Mini it works occasionally. It doesn’t work at all on my 2012 iMac, which is exactly as Apple advertised.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 63
    chasm said:
    Like some of the other commenters, I am still using my Series 0. I never upgraded because ... this one still works fine. Only just now, 3.5 years later, am I realising that I must now charge it every night -- rather than every other night when I first got it. While I'm sure it is possible for a tech to replace the battery, I think I'm ready for a new one (at long last) come this Xmas or thereabouts.

Apart from Apple Pay and the normal watchface/complications use (by far the things I use the most), my Apple Watch mostly acts as a "conciege" for my iPhone -- letting important notifications (only) through. I also use it for directions while driving, skipping tracks playing via my iPhone while walking, having Siri take a message to deliver to spouse/friends, short replies to email, and yes fitness/health purposes.

I was avowed watch-hater before I got the Apple Watch, and I still snigger silently when I see someone with a conventional watch on their wrist -- why not carry a telegraph in your pocket for messages, GRANDDAD -- but I love what digital watches (and in particular the Apple Watch) can do beyond traditional "watch" functions. It boggles my mind that most people don't have a smartwatch -- I do see a fair number of "running bands" as I call them, but ... why? They're not much less than a Series 1, and they do SO VERY LITTLE and most of that not very well (they seem to wear out a lot faster as well, based on anecdotal evidence).

Among the other benefits, it really does help me keep my iPhone in my pocket most of the time -- which allows me to live much more in the moment and not become one of those phone zombies you see everywhere these days.
    I found that just going from Series 0 to Series 1 provided a ton of intangible little benefits.  I was surprised.  I doubt that that I'll see the level of improvement going from the Series 1 to 4 (except the LTE & GPS).  But, then, I didn't expect it the first time.

I think you will be pleased with your upgrade.

And, for me, aside from the obvious, I expect the LTE to add subtle usability -- like not worrying about having to have my phone on me everytime I step out the front door.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    My Apple Watch Series 3 easily goes over 24 hours without a recharge (unlike my original Apple Watch that was near dead after 12 hours after I had owned the watch for a couple of years). Since the battery life was better, I started using Sleep++ for sleep tracking. It is great! The closest thing I have found to the automatic sleep tracking that I had with my Fitbit. Obviously Apple does not want to bother to include sleep tracking on the Apple Watch until they have at least 2-3 days of battery life. Until then, checkout Sleep++. 
  • Reply 60 of 63
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I bought the original AW stainless and wore it regularly. A year or so ago the entire guts of the watch just fell out hanging by a ribbon cable, by no fault of my own, just a defect. It was still on Apple Care+ so they fixed it although it took a couple weeks. Two months ago it happened again but no more Apple Care so I asked how much to fix it. They said $249. I didn't think it was worth it so I've been without it for a couple months now. I don't really miss it. I mostly just used it to check the time, although notifications was handy as well, but my vision is not that great so the interface is a little small to be useful for me with most of the apps. Now days I really don't care what time it is and I have clocks all over the place anyway. I'm probably not in the market for a new Apple Watch at this point.