Apple Watch 'Series 4' leak shows slimmer chassis with larger screen & new watch face

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    svanstrom said:
    Soli said:
    steveau said:
    Clearly, the "leaked" image is disinformation. "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical.
    You think that an entire event that will likely cover multiple products which includes the iPhone, their biggest seller by a large factor, has an event slogan that is only targeting the Apple Watch? Do you not see how the image has the same (or very similar) dimensions to the main Apple Park building?

If Apple foolishly puts a round display on the Watch I certainly won't be upgrading my Series 3.
    Well… to be fair… the AW is probably their most important line of products right now.

There's no doubt about it that the AW (not just smartwatches in general, but the AW) is the future; and it is a future where we are much less dependent on carrying around phones all the time. Apple knows this, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's more talk about the AW than the iPhone this time around.

That being said, I seriously doubt that they'd make their whole next gen AWs round; there are even clues in watchOS that they are preparing to take better advantage of a rectangular shape (like with webkit previews for notifications).

So, it's much more likely that "round" is just a reference to the shape of their (newly completed) building; or perhaps even shared augmented reality.
    I don’t understand anyone who thinks that Apple would just change the entire Apple Watch offerings to a round display and drop the rectangular display. They will naturally add a round offering the successful rectangular option when they’re ready, to accomodate customer choice — an expectation Jony Ive has repeatedly acknowledged customers have when it comes to devices they wear. I just don’t understand this polarization that comes up every time a round watch is discussed.

I agree the next step as indicated by these alleged leaks is to improve the current rectangular model. But the rounded corners and focus on maximizing round graphics, as suggested by the leaked display, suggest that these efforts will only make a transition to a round UI even easier, as existing apps will more easily merge into the new shape until developers chose to customize for the new UI, just like with the previous iPhone and iPad transitions.

edited September 2018 steveau
  • Reply 82 of 92
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    It’s not at all given that Apple will “naturally” add a round display. 
  • Reply 83 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    svanstrom said:
    Soli said:
    steveau said:
    Clearly, the "leaked" image is disinformation. "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical.
    You think that an entire event that will likely cover multiple products which includes the iPhone, their biggest seller by a large factor, has an event slogan that is only targeting the Apple Watch? Do you not see how the image has the same (or very similar) dimensions to the main Apple Park building?

If Apple foolishly puts a round display on the Watch I certainly won't be upgrading my Series 3.
    Well… to be fair… the AW is probably their most important line of products right now.

There's no doubt about it that the AW (not just smartwatches in general, but the AW) is the future; and it is a future where we are much less dependent on carrying around phones all the time. Apple knows this, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's more talk about the AW than the iPhone this time around.

That being said, I seriously doubt that they'd make their whole next gen AWs round; there are even clues in watchOS that they are preparing to take better advantage of a rectangular shape (like with webkit previews for notifications).

So, it's much more likely that "round" is just a reference to the shape of their (newly completed) building; or perhaps even shared augmented reality.
    I don’t understand anyone who thinks that Apple would just change the entire Apple Watch offerings to a round display and drop the rectangular display. They will naturally add a round offering the successful rectangular option when they’re ready, to accomodate customer choice — an expectation Jony Ive has repeatedly acknowledged customers have when it comes to devices they wear. I just don’t understand this polarization that comes up every time a round watch is discussed.

I agree the next step as indicated by these alleged leaks is to improve the current rectangular model. But the rounded corners and focus on maximizing round graphics, as suggested by the leaked display, suggest that these efforts will only make a transition to a round UI even easier, as existing apps will more easily merge into the new shape until developers chose to customize for the new UI, just like with the previous iPhone and iPad transitions.

It seems highly unlikely to me. I'm sure they had plenty of round displays in their original designs because that's what the designers were used to, but there's no functional reason for arms to rotate around a central pivot*. They choose a form that is most ideal for the function.

Of course, perhaps the tech and cost for making round OLED displays wasn't there yet, but other vendors followed the Apple Watch quickly with circular and near-circular "flat tire" displays, and with the size of the bezel there may have been an option to make it appear round like how Nest used a square display in their display.

Personally, I think that image of the round display looks amazing, but I also wouldn't want that because I want my watch to be functional so I don't use any traditional-looking dials. That said, I'm not against it being included if Apple could find a way to help grow this market and find a solution to make text easier to read (which could be possible with curved scrolling text like in that mock up). I wouldn't buy it, but I think a lot of people would.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Soli said:
    steveau said:

Yes, that's what I think, that's why I posted it. The images of a purported iPhone XS with a curved back are also clearly disinformation, because "S" series do not change form factor. The more interesting question is whether Series 4 will be all round, or round as an option. I hope it's only an option, because I like rectangular too. BTW, if you have a series 3, it's probably not your upgrade cycle anyway.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    steveau said:
    BTW, if you have a series 3, it's probably not your upgrade cycle anyway.
    Do upgrade cycles still exist? While certain types of buyers may tend to buy certain types of CE (and other products) from certain vendors at predictable intervals I always thought the upgrade cycle was borne out of the now defunct subsidization model for cell phones that locked customers into cellular contracts that I think were typically 24 months (US) to 36 months (Canada).

If the Series 4 Watch has features that I want I'll buy it. If it doesn't, I won't. I think it's most likely that I'll upgrade my Watch, not upgrade my iPhone, not get an iPad, and not get AirPods if they're only earbud-style, and get most likely get in-ear AirPods if that every becomes a reality, but none of that is a certainty. As always, I'll wait to see what what they offer before finalizing my purchase decisions.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    I don’t understand this dislike for the red dot. Many watches have some distinguishing thing to indicate something special about that model. The red dot is it,for Apple. Mine is black SS with the red dot, which looks really good with black. I suppose,some,people will be happier with what it looks like Apple has done
    Most dislike it because out of place on a refined piece of equipment.  
    It doesn’t look unrefined to me. I like it. I’ve designed a number of things using red and black. Though, admittedly, on the natural SS model it doesn’t look as good. It looks good with the other colors.
    Having dinner at a very fancy restaurant I saw that the waiter was wearing an all black AW.

It was very discreet, and I spotted it only because I was looking for it.

His dark suit, the soft lighting… the AW fitted perfectly; where few other techie things would have been allowed to be carried openly.

That red dot would have clashed real bad; and he probably wouldn’t have been allowed to wear the AW with it.

Personally I like that the steel AW that I have, with the Milanese loop, give a real classic look; and that whole red dot just completely ruins it for me.

That red dot just does nothing except signal “look, I’ve got the more expensive version”; and that’s just bad taste. 
    That’s nonsense, and you know it. Most of my life was either directly, or indirectly involved, professionally, with fashion. You’re making up a scenario that doesn’t exist. First of all, I’ve got one on my wrist right now, and even with good lighting, that red dot isn’t all that easy to see. It’s not bright red, it’s a subdued red. In dim lighting, you would have to grab the waiters wrist and hold it to the light to see the red. 

In addition, unless someone is wearing the watch on their right wrist, a very unusual place, the dot faces down. Most of the time the wrist isn’t going to be in a position for anyone to see more than the edge of the crown, and, at most, an occasional flash of the crown face.

so don’t make up situations that don’t exist in read life. As far as his not “being allowed” to wear it, that’s just total nonsense.
    It was at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in HK; and I said dim lights, not complete darkness.

That you can't spot it doesn't mean that other people can't.

And… yes… I can't say for sure that he wouldn't have been allowed to wear it, but it sure as heck would have looked tacky to me.

And… stop making up stories about how arms wearing watches are always carried straight down; they're neither that heavy, nor is that in any way, shape or form compatible with someone doing their job as a waiter.
    Oh, please, you’re creating a scenario that isn’t real. I didn’t say complete darkness, but many restaurants are dark, or dim, as you prefer. I also never said that arms are always straight down. But if you have arms, which I assume you do, you will notice that most of the time, when you’re standing, your arms aren’t being held out in front of you. As waiters always do when working a table, they’re standing too, and their arms aren’t pointed at the diners, for most all of the time, and diners don’t pay attention to what the waiter is doing when serving a dish. In other words, nobody cares.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 87 of 92
    melgross said:
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    I don’t understand this dislike for the red dot. Many watches have some distinguishing thing to indicate something special about that model. The red dot is it,for Apple. Mine is black SS with the red dot, which looks really good with black. I suppose,some,people will be happier with what it looks like Apple has done
    It doesn’t look unrefined to me. I like it. I’ve designed a number of things using red and black. Though, admittedly, on the natural SS model it doesn’t look as good. It looks good with the other colors.
    Having dinner at a very fancy restaurant I saw that the waiter was wearing an all black AW.

His dark suit, the soft lighting… the AW fitted perfectly; where few other techie things would have been allowed to be carried openly.

That red dot would have clashed real bad; and he probably wouldn’t have been allowed to wear the AW with it.

Personally I like that the steel AW that I have, with the Milanese loop, give a real classic look; and that whole red dot just completely ruins it for me.

That red dot just does nothing except signal “look, I’ve got the more expensive version”; and that’s just bad taste. 
    That’s nonsense, and you know it. Most of my life was either directly, or indirectly involved, professionally, with fashion. You’re making up a scenario that doesn’t exist. First of all, I’ve got one on my wrist right now, and even with good lighting, that red dot isn’t all that easy to see. It’s not bright red, it’s a subdued red. In dim lighting, you would have to grab the waiters wrist and hold it to the light to see the red. 

In addition, unless someone is wearing the watch on their right wrist, a very unusual place, the dot faces down. Most of the time the wrist isn’t going to be in a position for anyone to see more than the edge of the crown, and, at most, an occasional flash of the crown face.

so don’t make up situations that don’t exist in read life. As far as his not “being allowed” to wear it, that’s just total nonsense.
    It was at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in HK; and I said dim lights, not complete darkness.

And… yes… I can't say for sure that he wouldn't have been allowed to wear it, but it sure as heck would have looked tacky to me.

And… stop making up stories about how arms wearing watches are always carried straight down; they're neither that heavy, nor is that in any way, shape or form compatible with someone doing their job as a waiter.
    Oh, please, you’re creating a scenario that isn’t real. I didn’t say complete darkness, but many restaurants are dark, or dim, as you prefer. I also never said that arms are always straight down. But if you have arms, which I assume you do, you will notice that most of the time, when you’re standing, your arms aren’t being held out in front of you. As waiters always do when working a table, they’re standing too, and their arms aren’t pointed at the diners, for most all of the time, and diners don’t pay attention to what the waiter is doing when serving a dish. In other words, nobody cares.
    Are you trolling, or just never been to a nice restaurant?

First of all, guests seated at a regular table; due to the angle they easily spot this red dot.

Secondly, guests seated by the kitchen; they have the waiter reaching straight towards them, and usually with some sort of spotlight above. They get the side of the watch almost straight towards their face. 
  • Reply 88 of 92
    Soli said:
    steveau said:
    BTW, if you have a series 3, it's probably not your upgrade cycle anyway.
    Do upgrade cycles still exist? While certain types of buyers may tend to buy certain types of CE (and other products) from certain vendors at predictable intervals I always thought the upgrade cycle was borne out of the now defunct subsidization model for cell phones that locked customers into cellular contracts that I think were typically 24 months (US) to 36 months (Canada).

If the Series 4 Watch has features that I want I'll buy it. If it doesn't, I won't. I think it's most likely that I'll upgrade my Watch, not upgrade my iPhone, not get an iPad, and not get AirPods if they're only earbud-style, and get most likely get in-ear AirPods if that every becomes a reality, but none of that is a certainty. As always, I'll wait to see what what they offer before finalizing my purchase decisions.
    Good question, so I googled (am I allowed to use that word here?) "apple upgrade cycles" and got lots of interesting reading. Particularly liked "Apple is trying to slow down the crazy smartphone hype cycle - Wired UK" of June 9th. I'm also not locked into a contract, so I see what's released and make up my own mind. However, I can't remember ever buying sequential models, because there's rarely enough improvement to justify the expense. Of course CE is only partly about utility and cost, enjoyment has a big part to play too, so go for what makes you happy. I'm a definite for an iPad upgrade, facial recognition or not, considering an iPhone upgrade and might get two HomePods as well. Hadn't heard about in-ear AirPods (no pun intended), but will definitely get them if they are released. Happily, where I live the special events start at 9;00 pm, so I'll settle down with a suitable refreshment and enjoy the show. If there's no round-faced Apple Watch I'll raise my glass to you!
  • Reply 89 of 92
    steveau said:
    Of course CE is only partly about utility and cost, enjoyment has a big part to play too, so go for what makes you happy.
    That's why I think Apple may be able to sell more product categories in a given year to customers if they spaced out that feeling we get from buying new and improved tech. 

Hadn't heard about in-ear AirPods (no pun intended), but will definitely get them if they are released.

There's no rumours, but when they had wired Apple-branded headphones they had both their earbud and in-ear styles, and the earbuds are simply not comfortable for my ears. Chalk it up to wishful thinking on my part, but I may have to get Beats if I want the W-series chip and in-ear phones.

steveau
  • Reply 90 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    svanstrom said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Are you trolling, or just never been to a nice restaurant?

First of all, guests seated at a regular table; due to the angle they easily spot this red dot.

Secondly, guests seated by the kitchen; they have the waiter reaching straight towards them, and usually with some sort of spotlight above. They get the side of the watch almost straight towards their face. 
    I’ve like,y been to more nice restaurants that you’ve walked by.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Most high-class restaurants would disapprove of whipping out your genitalia and comparing them on the crockery.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

Total d bags, with no integrity.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    You know you're reading this on AppleInsider, right?
    And? Do you have a point? Or do you prefer to just drop a petty comment without an opening for discussion?

Also, is there any way for you to not reflexively post something negative in reaction to my posts? Your apparent obsession with replying to my posts in a negative tone is getting obnoxious.
    1) I'm pointing out the stupidity of a comment where you bitch about one Apple rumour site reporting on a leak that you claim you no longer read because they reported on a leak while posting on a forum about about Apple rumour site reporting on that same leak.

2) If I've responded to other comments you've made it's either because you said something insightful or something stupid (but based this comment I'm guessing it's the latter), and while I do know many of the commenters on this forum you're not on my radar.

@soli I enjoy 95% of your posts, so it's always disappointing that you continue to respond this way.

1) So after you drop your vague insult, your next response is to call me stupid? That's a bit rich coming from you, particularly since I believe we've actually had this same discussion before, and you had the same, failed argument to go along with your unnecessary negativity. There is a difference between breaking a story (eg 9to5 publishing fully baked apple info, like in this instance, and back when they ruined the X launch), and sites that report on the already-released info (e.g AI), which, of course they're going to do. I think it's completely fair, and appropriate, for me voice my opinion that leaking fully baked info ruins the experience for a lot of people, and is unethical. Is that what you're calling "stupid"? Please clarify, since you found it so important to comment on in the first place.

2) Without any class, tact, or decorum, you call me stupid again? That's a bit arrogant for someone who doesn't even remember what happened. For someone 'not on your radar,' you have a very consistent pattern of frequently responding to my posts in a negative tone. If you can't remember, I suppose you can just consider this another reminder. As I said the last time, I'm not trying to tell you what to post, just pointing out that your unfounded negativity is getting a bit annoying for me (aside from being nonsensical and unproductive). In another example, to jog your lapsing memory, you jumped on me previously (with unnecessary negativity) accusing me of exaggerating my frustration about the (relative) lack of success of apple pay vs the starbucks app, and it took a few negative posts for you to realize that starbucks accepts apple pay at their stores, and you stopped replying at that point.

Your insults and negativity is childish.