Apple Watch surges to top of global wearables market with 'market-beating growth'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Sad day. Apple has succeeded convincing a lot of people that it's OK for your watch to only last one day. Reminds me when you had to wind your mechanical watch each evening, except charging your Apple watch takes longer, and maybe you have to also charge it again in the morning, to make sure you start with a full battery for the day ahead.
    Sad day. Apple has convinced people that they should sleep for a few hours a night just so they can charge the watch. 

Oh, the humanity. 
    No, they should have their watch on their wrists to track their sleep. It's an important function.
    If you've read comments about the Watch you'd know that many wearers do wear to bed to record their sleep habits. There are countless sleep apps for watchOS.
    Nuanced discussion does not seem to go over too well in these forums. I was replying to Rayz2016 who was saying that people should charge their watches while they sleep.
    hubbax
  • Reply 22 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    AI_lias said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Sad day. Apple has succeeded convincing a lot of people that it's OK for your watch to only last one day. Reminds me when you had to wind your mechanical watch each evening, except charging your Apple watch takes longer, and maybe you have to also charge it again in the morning, to make sure you start with a full battery for the day ahead.
    Sad day. Apple has convinced people that they should sleep for a few hours a night just so they can charge the watch. 

Oh, the humanity. 
    No, they should have their watch on their wrists to track their sleep. It's an important function.
    If you've read comments about the Watch you'd know that many wearers do wear to bed to record their sleep habits. There are countless sleep apps for watchOS.
    Nuanced discussion does not seem to go over too well in these forums. I was replying to Rayz2016 who was saying that people should charge their watches while they sleep.
    There's a lot of discussions going on across each other. I read back to your original comment. I do typically charge my Watch in the morning, but not because I need it topped off for the day, but because I usually take a shower and I don't wear a Watch in the shower. I'd argue that setting it down on the charging stand is less effort than having to wind a watch daily. I only charge my Watch when I'm showering. Putting into AirPlane mode to converse power at night and reenabling the radios in the morning is inarguably more effort with a digital crown press, swipe up, and button press than placing it on the charging stand.
    AI_liasalbegarccyberzombie
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Soli said:
    1) Damn! Even the cheap fitness tracker is losing out to expensive smartwatches in unit sales. This is the smartphones v dumb phone all over again after the iPhone was launched.
    That is because a lot of people know that buying cheaper things is actually a lot more costly in the long run.
    lolliver
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:

Oh, the humanity. 
    There's a lot of discussions going on across each other. I read back to your original comment. I do typically charge my Watch in the morning, but not because I need it topped off for the day, but because I usually take a shower and I don't wear a Watch in the shower. I'd argue that setting it down on the charging stand is less effort than having to wind a watch daily. I only charge my Watch when I'm showering. Putting into AirPlane mode to converse power at night and reenabling the radios in the morning is inarguably more effort with a digital crown press, swipe up, and button press than placing it on the charging stand.
    Thanks for that info. Good to know what others are doing to manage battery life.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    AI_lias said:
    Not sad at all. It's absolutely no trouble to click the magnetic charger to the back of the watch when you take it off.

Also, my Series 0 used to use a little more than half its charge during the day. But now my Series 3 typically uses only about a fifth of its charge in a day.
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 26 of 44
    AI_lias said:
    Reminds me when you had to wind your mechanical watch each evening ...
    O, man. Those were dark, dark (dark) times. I would spends seconds twisting and twisting. I felt like Louis Zamperini.

In other business, my Series 0 only leaves my arm long enough for the band and wrist to dry, and allow me a few dozen minutes without having a damn contraption strapped to my person.
    lolliver
  • Reply 27 of 44
    claire1 said:
    This doesn't sound right. Others have 46% marketshare? Apple at only 17%!!

Anecdotal:
    In the U.S. I hardly see android wear anymore and see a few Fitbits a month. Is the rest of the world really buying that much crap?

Last month I saw about:
    50 Apple Watches
    2 Fitbits (4 if you count bands)
    1 Android wear

Every time I grocery show I easily see 10 Apple Watches, even in lower class 'hoods.

Can anyone outside the U.S. give us your anecdotal estimates?
    At least in Mexico the Apple Watch is becoming very popular, specially since Apple launched the LTE model about two months ago. Aside from Apple Watch the ones that I See more often are Garmin, not fitbit nor Samsung. I estimate that I saw 20 AWs last month
    and about 5 Garmins.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    daven said:
    I'm happy with my Series 3. Bought it on a whim and I'm glad I did.
    Me too I think the series 3 is great, is really fast, great battery life, Siri Speaks, etc. Maybe the LTE model is even better
  • Reply 29 of 44
    AI_lias said:
    DO NOT BUY ONE and whine about something else
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 30 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:

Oh, the humanity. 

Pebble had watches that gave more than a week of battery life, but the company failed, because the watches weren’t very good. The company that bought them, FitBit, is also failing, because people aren’t buying their fitness bands as much, and their watches, one with several days of battery life, are also not selling.

while Watch is limited to iPhone users, it’s doing surprisingly well. I wonder how much better it would do if Apple released a model for Android the way they released the iPod for Windows. Since the cheapest Watch is doing the best, for $250, it could do well with higher end Android users too.

one day? If you don’t use the GPS or LTE much, it lasts over 2 days, in my experience.
    edited September 2018 SoliAI_liasStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 31 of 44

AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:

Oh, the humanity. 

So, I keep mine on at night. It’s not a big deal. When you get up you can put it on the charge stand. If you do that every morning before you go to breakfast, by the time you come back and get ready to go out, it will be charged.
    AI_liasdiegogStrangeDayslolliverspheric
  • Reply 32 of 44

AI_lias said:
    claire1 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Does your wind up watch have similar features?
    My point was, even a mechanical watch only takes a few seconds to wind (shorter than charging a Apple watch), if you have to do it every night. And the larger point was, that after Apple convinced everyone that it's OK to have a smart phone with one-day battery life, it does the same for smartwatches. Not cool. Wish this would be a sticking point for more people. (And I'm not comparing mechanical watches with smart watches, not even comparing fitness trackers with smart watches). Since fitness trackers seem to be better in the battery department, I wish Apple would release a fitness tracker with less function and very good battery life. I lot of people would be interested. 
    It may be a sticking point for people, which is why smartwatches aren’t selling in the hundreds of millions a year yet. But why should it bother you that there are tens of millions a year who feel that the benefits of an Watch outweighs the one to two day battery life? And don’t forget that most all full featured smartwatches have about the same battery life, and some came out before Apple’s.

Most smartphones before the iPhone had no better than 3 to 4 hours of battery life, so don’t go blaming Apple there. I had a Samsung i300 and i330 color Palmphone. It came with two batteries, and a charge stand for the phone, and extra battery. The normal battery, which didn’t make the phone thicker had 2 hours of life, if you were lucky, and the extra life battery, which was thick, had a bit over 3. My Palm Treo 700p had about 4 hours. My friends blackberry had about the same, and another friends HTC Windows model also had about 4. That’s why many people needed to carry an extra battery around with them.
    edited September 2018 AI_liaslolliver
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:

Oh, the humanity. 
    I wear my Apple Watch to bed, as well.  I typically put it on the charger when I go to bed to charge it up, then put it back on when I wake up during the night, which I do every couple of hours, so most of my sleep cycle is recorded.  In the morning it gets topped off when I shower.  Pretty simple routine.  If I want it to catch a complete night, I charge it before going to bed as I watch some TV.
    edited September 2018 AI_lias
  • Reply 34 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    claire1 said:

Anecdotal:
    In the U.S. I hardly see android wear anymore and see a few Fitbits a month. Is the rest of the world really buying that much crap?

Last month I saw about:
    50 Apple Watches
    1 Android wear

Every time I grocery show I easily see 10 Apple Watches, even in lower class 'hoods.

When I do a  group run Apple Watches are rare.  Often mine is the only one.  Actually, last week I was surprised to see another wearer (out of about 20 people who all had smart watches on).   The fact that they start the run by saying:  "Start your Garmins!" should tell you something.
    albegarc
  • Reply 35 of 44
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    I can’t sleep with a watch on, so it charges at night.  My significant other sleeps with the Apple Watch but just charges it when showering/getting ready for work.  More than enough time daily to recharge the watch and keep it going.

I had a pebble back in the day and hated it becuase of the battery.  The battery last around 5 days, but it was infrequent enough that I often forgot to charge it so it would die on me. Yes I know...my fault, but charming nightly on the Apple Watch is routine so it works better for me.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 44
    claire1 said:

Anecdotal:

Last month I saw about:
    50 Apple Watches
    1 Android wear

Anecdotally, living in a country where Apple is fairly niche, Android watches are also rare but what I do see are Garmin watches on my friends. Personally, I have one but only wear it for sport and then go watchless the rest of the day. It's possible that unless you are watching runners or cyclists in action, you won't see them. Also, I know a lot of kids have cheap Chinese knock offs so that could be where the Others are coming from.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    AI_lias said:
    Go troll somewhere else. It’s clear you don’t know shit about the AW yet feel comfortable tossing out FUD concerns. IRL it readily makes it through the day on a charge, even after using the heart rate sensor for a two-hour workout. Two days isn’t uncommon. 

But your troll trope is pointless, as the device it’s an accessory to, the phone, requires a charge nightly. So there is no pain in charging them both at bedtime. 
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 44
    AI_lias said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:

Oh, the humanity. 
    Thanks for that info. Good to know what others are doing to manage battery life.
    There’s nothing needed to manage battery life, other than charge it and then use it for a day or two. You’re just muddying the waters with your FUD about needing to charge a second time to make it thru the day, yada yada. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 39 of 44
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    AI_lias said:
    Come on now... is that all you have?
    Get a clue. 
    GeorgeBMaclolliver
  • Reply 40 of 44

These complaints are ridiculous. Comparing the Apple Watch to a mechanical watch is asinine, no better than people ragging on having to fill up cars when a horse can just eat grass. 
    This is the best illustration I've seen yet of how ridiculous these comparisons are.