Privacy not absolute: US among consortium of nations calling for encryption back doors

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    lkrupp said:
    Scream about your privacy all you want to. Wag your tongues at the "evil" western governments you suffer and struggle under. These are typical responses from anonymous freedom fighters on the Internet who will opine and rage but not take direct action. Guess what? it's coming and there's nothing you can or will do about it. Why is that? Because nobody cares. We in the U.S. put our fellow citizens in concentration camps because we were afraid. Ask George Takei how that happened. 
    I like you Lkrupp. And yes you are right it’s coming. Everyone is afraid of everyone else in this country. All it takes is another 9/11 God forbid type disaster for the citizens on 'Main Street' to let go the last vestiges of our privacy. Fear and ignorance paves the way for all kinds of permission granting to our government 'protectors'.
  • Reply 62 of 67

DAalseth said:
    badmonk said:
    Crap, I am so pissed off.  They already have access to our Twitter, FB, Google, iCloud data and access to location data.  What more do they want???
    lkrupp said:
    Scream about your privacy all you want to. Wag your tongues at the "evil" western governments you suffer and struggle under. These are typical responses from anonymous freedom fighters on the Internet who will opine and rage but not take direct action. Guess what? it's coming and there's nothing you can or will do about it. Why is that? Because nobody cares. We in the U.S. put our fellow citizens in concentration camps because we were afraid. Ask George Takei how that happened. 
    badmonk
    What they want is all the time full monitoring of everyone, from when you wake up, when and where you take a p***, to who you know, ato what you buy. Cameras in our bedrooms. in our cars, in our workplaces, on the streets. When governments fear their own citizenry, the people lose. 

ikrupp
    Sadly you are absolutely right. Outside of a few of us on tech blogs, and inside the industry, nobody gives a crap. Either they don't understand the danger and write it off as more tech mumbo jumbo, or they simply say "I have nothing to hide" which betrays real ignorance. 

Without strong security, nothing is secure, nothing is private, and no one is safe. Todays innocent web search, is tomorrow's reason to arrest for being an "enemy of the people". 

EDIT: Let me add one more thing. It's not just governments. The Black Hats are equal, and in some cases ahead of governments. If there is a back door, they WILL exploit it. They will get into your computer, your phone, your bank accounts, your credit cards, your medical records. There are some very nasty operators that would love to get ahold of all of this information. Some to misuse for profit. Some just to cause mayhem. What would happen if Country A was having a dispute with Country B so one day Country B woke up and found all government and company records, and their whole part of the internet just gone, dead? What do you think would happen if one morning the core financial records and their backups for Apple were suddenly just gone? What about all the records for the USDOD? What about your bank, what would they do if tomorrow morning they found that all of their assets had been transferred to an offshore account? What about your computer if it got hijacked and all records obliterated? Without strong security no country, no corporation, no individual is safe. 
    DAalseth said:
    badmonk said:
    Crap, I am so pissed off.  They already have access to our Twitter, FB, Google, iCloud data and access to location data.  What more do they want???
    lkrupp said:
    badmonk
    What they want is all the time full monitoring of everyone, from when you wake up, when and where you take a p***, to who you know, ato what you buy. Cameras in our bedrooms. in our cars, in our workplaces, on the streets. When governments fear their own citizenry, the people lose. 

ikrupp
    Sadly you are absolutely right. Outside of a few of us on tech blogs, and inside the industry, nobody gives a crap. Either they don't understand the danger and write it off as more tech mumbo jumbo, or they simply say "I have nothing to hide" which betrays real ignorance. 

Without strong security, nothing is secure, nothing is private, and no one is safe. Todays innocent web search, is tomorrow's reason to arrest for being an "enemy of the people". 

EDIT: Let me add one more thing. It's not just governments. The Black Hats are equal, and in some cases ahead of governments. If there is a back door, they WILL exploit it. They will get into your computer, your phone, your bank accounts, your credit cards, your medical records. There are some very nasty operators that would love to get ahold of all of this information. Some to misuse for profit. Some just to cause mayhem. What would happen if Country A was having a dispute with Country B so one day Country B woke up and found all government and company records, and their whole part of the internet just gone, dead? What do you think would happen if one morning the core financial records and their backups for Apple were suddenly just gone? What about all the records for the USDOD? What about your bank, what would they do if tomorrow morning they found that all of their assets had been transferred to an offshore account? What about your computer if it got hijacked and all records obliterated? Without strong security no country, no corporation, no individual is safe. 
    Not to mention they want backdoor access to our phones etc to protect us. I’m not even convinced they can protect themselves when it counts. Yeah government employees are the bastions of keeping the enemy out. Really?
  • Reply 63 of 67
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    CelTan said:
    And as other said, as soon as it becomes public that any government can have access to all your communication, those that require privacy, like corporations and crime organisations will go for their own proprietary encryption and just make an app for communication. 
    No doubt. The same government that expects us to believe the hackers are sophisticated enough to throw elections and crack into everyone from Sony to their own systems, then wants us to believe they couldn't implement their own encryption systems without that back door? LOL

lkrupp said:
    As an American, I am getting real sick of other Americans thinking they have a right to spy on me. Being a politician makes you a SERVANT of the people. Not an overlord.
    But you can't and won't do anything about it. You'll just post about your anger and that's it. And that's the real problem. We have the government we deserve. We voted for these people and it's our fault, period. We want our privacy but we don't want to be inconvenienced by it.
    The problem is with 'we.' There are people who care, actually pay attention, and try to at least enlighten others (or more). But these people just get labeled as conspiracy theorists, quacks, dissidents, or even terrorists... and the general public who are glued to the MSM propaganda don't bother to know any different. And, to make such change, there needs to be a reasonable sized movement of people who use their minds when voting (assuming good choices make it far enough to vote for.. which is a stretch these days).

jdw said:
    Fascinating.  This is highly political, yet comments are not banned.  I'm pleased of course, but it does lead one to wonder what "algorithm" is used to determine what is politically OK and what is not for Comments to be unlocked.
    I think the 'AI' is some 'dudes named Ben'. :) (cf.  )

Let us not install Mojave until Apple reinstate Back to my Mac ...
    I don't use it ...
    I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but I think you might have solved your mystery right there. I didn't even know what Back to my Mac was until these stories broke. I doubt many were using it.

davgreg said:
    They also have hacked SIM cards and commonly use Stingrays to suck up data without a warrant on whole geographic areas. 

What the law enforcement and intelligence agencies want is a 1984 tele screen in your pocket with a back door so they can let you self incriminate yourself 24/7/365.
    The other risk is that with a back door,  crap could be planted on your devices if they ever need a reason to discredit you.

There is no way this ends well.
    For sure. Then, have you seen some of the new tools that can edit/create audio/video? Look up VoCo for example.
    On the plus, once people realize this stuff exists, they might get more skeptical about audio/video evidence, but the gov't and such will probably just say they have ways to know what is authentic and not. Interesting times, though.

Arfshesaid... said:
    RIPA is used as a complete, total, cover up by investigatory bodies.
    Yeah, I think Canada has a more mild form of this when it comes to RCMP investigations as well. (And, then there are the kangaroo courts...)
    I think the USA has found it easier just to collude with the MSM and write off everyone else as conspiracy theorists. The general public doesn't pay close enough attention to even catch the MSM in their sloppiness about it.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    lkrupp said:
    We in the U.S. put our fellow citizens in concentration camps because we were afraid. Ask George Takei how that happened. 
    That is a bit off a stretch.
    The US did unlawfully detain Americans of Japanese heritage, confiscate their property and all. That is true.

What happened in the concentration camps was systemic extermination of Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, Labor Leaders, Journalists, Ministers, Homosexuals, Communists and others who did not fit the mold of the "Aryan" and those who actively opposed the Nazis. I have been to Dachau years ago when stationed in the Army in Germany and have known survivors of the Shoah that had the tattoos on their arms to prove it.

While what was done to Americans of Japanese ancestry was wrong, it was in no way like what happened under the Final Solution.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 65 of 67
    davgreg said:

While what was done to Americans of Japanese ancestry was wrong, it was in no way like what happened under the Final Solution.
    No one group or tribe of people can claim to hold the Trophy of Existential Pain and Oblivion. The attempted eradication of a people is a fate multitudinous human beings have been subject to. It doesn't make an iota of a difference how victim A or B were wasted, it is always the primary objective of people engorged with delusions of grandeur that they seek out a less worthy person to prove themselves superior.

That human beings kill each other is of itself a disgrace.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    cgWerks said:
    jdw said:
    Fascinating.  This is highly political, yet comments are not banned.  I'm pleased of course, but it does lead one to wonder what "algorithm" is used to determine what is politically OK and what is not for Comments to be unlocked.
    I think the 'AI' is some 'dudes named Ben'. :) (cf.  )
    Ben Dover?
  • Reply 67 of 67
    This maybe a good opportunity to create distributed email based on blockchain. Thats the whole reason why alot of cryptocurrencies or blockchain based technologies came up..