2019 iPhone sticking with Face ID, but Android moving to in-screen fingerprint sensors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    backstab said:
    Crack your screen, and urrrrrr-out!!
    Also a good point.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    I don't mind TouchID but I can definitely see where FaceID as a component technology has far more upside potential for incorporating into other devices and systems like door locks, home and building security, automobile security, registration kiosks (medical facilities, voting machines, department of motor vehicles), ambient intelligence, and of course security and personalization services for people who have limited hand and finger mobility. Of course this begs the question - why didn't Apple put Face ID in its latest round of MacBook Pro updates instead of Touch ID? Perhaps we'll see it in the next round of updates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 66
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    kiowavt said:
    I greatly prefer TouchID for two reasons. I travel and take photos both of people in natural activity by turning on and using the camera feature without looking at it, or photos in museums where I am not supposed to. Plus I can at other times turn it on when I don’t need to see the screen. Looks like I will hold on to my iPhone 8plus for a long time. Bummer.
    Don't need to unlock it to use the camera. Try again.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    davgreg said:
    nunzy said:
    If TouchID was so great Apple would use it. Clearly FaceID is better.
    No it is not better. More expensive, but with more potential for trouble.

If the digital map of your face gets hacked, do you have another to replace it with? People have 10 digits but only one face.

Apple is changing stuff just to be changing stuff these days and FaceID is the answer to a question few were asking. If they doubt pushback, wait until people have to pay for that overpriced technology that they do not want. I would not pay $1k for a cell phone if you gave me the money to buy it.
    No, it is better. If people found it to be a problem, or something that wasn’t liked, then we’d hear of it, and we haven’t, though I’m sure that because there always is, there are small numbers who don’t like it, just as there were small numbers who didn’t like Touch ID either.

if you can’t afford it, or you just don’t want it, then that’s your thing, but it’s not other’s things.
    tmaybestkeptsecretSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 66
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    ivlad said:
    daven said:
    Can you use screen touch ID through a screen protector?
    I don't see why not, it's just a shallow camera pointing up looking at the finger.

All the different screen protectors I've put on iPhones all had the TouchID Home button cut out.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 66
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    davgreg said:
    nunzy said:

If the digital map of your face gets hacked, do you have another to replace it with? People have 10 digits but only one face.

Apple is changing stuff just to be changing stuff these days and FaceID is the answer to a question few were asking. If they doubt pushback, wait until people have to pay for that overpriced technology that they do not want. I would not pay $1k for a cell phone if you gave me the money to buy it.

Clearly, you don't know how Face ID works.   There's NOT a picture of your face stored.  It's a HASH of your faced and it's stored in the Secure Enclave on your iPhone, just like TouchID.  It's not getting HACKED.  It's Encrypted and perfectly safe. 

FaceID is also far, far more Secure that TouchID.  Go buy a cheapo Android phone!!!  There's a device that will get hacked or send all your info to Google and others.

StrangeDaysSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 66
    sflocal said:
    After upgrading to an iPhoneX back in April, FaceID is just a superior tech over TouchID.  I certainly wouldn't go back.  

It will be funny to see how botched Android and their iKnockoff manufacturers will make an under-screen finger sensor work.

I agree. I love FaceID. One thing I've noticed is quite a few people don't realize you can swipe up while glancing at your phone to unlock it faster. I've had several friends complain about FaceID until I showed them you don't have to wait for the unlock sign. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Personally I prefer the finger print reader on the back rather than the front. I work from home so the only time i want to touch the front of my phone to unlock it, on my desk, I'm in a "safe" place anyway and my phone is unlocked. I find the reach around (please don't censor me for that phrase) is a more natural position than pressing a home button when I'm carrying my phone. I can see that facial recognition is a better solution so I can't imagine Apple going back but it does limit them to a notch until they can come up with something else.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    HEELBeavansHEELBeavans Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    To me Face ID has improved over the last 11 months! It even works with a liquid screen protector on!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 66
    davgreg said:
    nunzy said:

Ignorant nonsense from a troll that can’t be bothered to learn how things work. Like TouchID before it, FaceID doesn’t store anything on Apple servers, and the face isn’t stored as an image but as a hashed series or numbers. And that’s on the encrtyped secure enclave. Even if your phone was stole, your authentication circumvented, they’d need to break into your secure enclave and then they have some hashed numbers. Whoopee. 

Enjoy your knockoffs. You’ll be doing what Apple does soon enough. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 66
    jbdragon said:
    ivlad said:
    daven said:
    Can you use screen touch ID through a screen protector?
    I don't see why not, it's just a shallow camera pointing up looking at the finger.

All the different screen protectors I've put on iPhones all had the TouchID Home button cut out.

Yes, because the button is recessed from the surface, and likely wouldn’t work through the air space.
    cornchip
  • Reply 32 of 66

Personally I prefer the finger print reader on the back rather than the front. I work from home so the only time i want to touch the front of my phone to unlock it, on my desk, I'm in a "safe" place anyway and my phone is unlocked. I find the reach around (please don't censor me for that phrase) is a more natural position than pressing a home button when I'm carrying my phone. I can see that facial recognition is a better solution so I can't imagine Apple going back but it does limit them to a notch until they can come up with something else.
    I think that’s odd. What you describe is more complex and more subject to moving your finger around the back until you hit the sensor. It’s there, not because it’s better, but because these companies got themselves in a situation where there was no way to put it on the front.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 66
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    melgross said:

I think that’s odd. What you describe is more complex and more subject to moving your finger around the back until you hit the sensor. It’s there, not because it’s better, but because these companies got themselves in a situation where there was no way to put it on the front.
    We've had this discussion many times. What you are saying is incorrect. I once provided you with many examples of phones with rear mounted sensors with ample room on the front for the sensor.

Here is my last phone:

http://gsminsider.com/2015/08/huawei-honor-7-goes-official-in-europe-ships-directly-to-customer/

You do not move your finger around the back until you hit the sensor. You know where it is. Your index finger even falls naturally onto the sensor. My current phone has a front sensor and is nowhere near as convenient, ergonomic or comfortable as my last phone in this regard.

The rear sensor was never a problem when laying flat on a desk or on a stand either. I had that phone for three years and it was a joy to use.

Front or rear is preference. Some like it on the back and some like it on the front. 

Obviously when chins went the way of the dodo they had to go on the back or use an alternative system.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    FaceID comes with great features (like you can actually have Siri calling someone straight from the Lock Screen now) but also with hindrances (you have to double click Side button to confirm buying. A drag compared to TouchID) but over all technology like FaceID will work with variety of devices better. I almost forgot how strangely it feels to use TouchID with iPad. I’m used to it now but at first it just felt jarring trying to reach a big device to place a finger. And many times in the dark I reached a wrong place. We wouldn’t have this problem with FaceID. And if Apple is more ambitious, allowing user to just touch the screen, scan the face and get in without swiping up, it will be even better. 
    And FaceID will be natural on a Mac too. Just life the lid on MacBook and you’re good to go. 
  • Reply 35 of 66
    FaceID might cause eye damage in the long term. It sends thousands of infrared beams into the retina every day. The cumulative effect of this impact is still unknown (look it up on Google). There is a reason we are told to avoid looking directly at infrared beams, such as laser pointers. I will stick with TouchID and hope that Apple retains it on some models. 
  • Reply 36 of 66
    TouchID is superior in some instances and FaceID in others. I hope Apple will integrate touch-in-screen like Android does because it’s a very elegant solution that makes a lot of sense.

FaceID is not very useful in the car, when the phone sometimes gets locked and the device is acting as a navigation device. You don’t want to pick up the phone from the holder just to authenticate while in traffic. 
    It doesn’t work well with a scarf and hat in cold areas I learned. And it’s definitely slower compared to TouchID.
    Currently, Touch ID doesn’t support landscape mode, but that could change for future devices. It’s a very annoying thing when watching movies.
    Lastly it can be very confusing to switch apps by having to swipe up in different orientations, e.g swipe up while in landscape, and having to ‘rotate’ the gestures accordingly, which used to be a home button press. Although this isn’t the ‘fault’ of Face ID, swipe gestures throughout the OS have not made the operating system more usable. Since FaceID I make more unintended gestures in-app and in home screen.

• Reply 37 of 66
    mike1 said:
    kiowavt said:
    I greatly prefer TouchID for two reasons. I travel and take photos both of people in natural activity by turning on and using the camera feature without looking at it, or photos in museums where I am not supposed to. Plus I can at other times turn it on when I don’t need to see the screen. Looks like I will hold on to my iPhone 8plus for a long time. Bummer.
    Without looking down at the phone at all?  Which I do all the time.  Tell me.  Curious, and not possible best I can tell and I read up on these things a lot.  Not contradicting. Doubtful, but happy to be proven incorrect.  
  • Reply 38 of 66
    kiowavt said:
    mike1 said:
    kiowavt said:
    Without looking down at the phone at all?  Which I do all the time.  Tell me.  Curious, and not possible best I can tell and I read up on these things a lot.  Not contradicting. Doubtful, but happy to be proven incorrect.  
    He’s right. You can use camera from Lock Screen. Nothing to do with FaceID (you don’t have to unlock first). 
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Kris ArkadeKris Arkade Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I'm curious what the cost would be to repair a screen that has in-screen fingerprint scanning. Would it still work with a cracked or broken screen?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Face ID is just plain better than fingerprint. I use both every day, one on my iPad and the other on my iPhone X. I didn’t say perfect, just better. Much better. One less step in unlocking my device. I just pick it up and the great majority of the time it’s unlocked before I even think about it. The only time it’s awkward is when I forget to wear my watch at Trader Joe’s and have to use Pay on my phone instead. The terminal requires that the phone tap or be close to it, which tends to put my face out of range or at a bad angle as it’s trying to confirm my ID for the purchase. Probably just need to use it more often and make sure I’m doing each step in the proper order. 
    gatorguywatto_cobra