Proposed law will force Apple, Amazon, Netflix to produce 30% of streamed video in the EU

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    foljs said:
    Ok Europe is starting to invade companies business!
    Much better than companies invading Europe... Besides, it's only if they want to tap this nice 500 million people market... Else, they can leave, and make sure to not let the doors hit them on their way out...
    Makes total sense. And 70% Hollywood BS is way too much...

Nobody is forcing us to subscribe. We subscribe because we like the content they have. Which the EU now wants to replace with the low quality stuff we were trying to avoid. I bet the majority of citizens is against this decision.

In Germany every household is already forced to pay 17€ a month to public media, whether you use it or not. What we get from it are mostly sub par shows and movies.

Just let the market decide!

edited September 2018
  • Reply 62 of 64
    CmirdaCmirda Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Cmirda said:
    It is nonsense after nonsense from EU!! If anybody does not like hollywood BS content, simply do not watch it! Why we need EU government to tell us what to watch on TV? I am from small EU country and have strong impression about incompetent people there in Bruxelles, who probably have never visited my country and do not know anything about what ordinary people want...
    You apparently don’t understand both the story and the proposed law.

The EU is not telling us what we want to watch. They’re telling streaming services (lots of them being American companies) not to be lazy and reselling American content, but also to invest money in original local (European) content. 

Before streaming services existed, local television stations were the main content distributors. So a large part was locally produced content.
    Now, with the rise of large streamers like Netflix, HBO and Amazon, we as European citizens are flooded with American content. Which is ok, but shouldn’t be the only choice; at least I don’t want to be ‘forced’ to watch that. 
    Furtunately Netflix is already doing a great job in producing local content. HBO and Amazon not so much, yet. 

So the proposed law is actually a good thing, giving Europeans more to choose from, and European actors a larger change of earning some money too. And eventually this will benefit the Americans too, because they’ll probably diversify their viewing habits with some more European content... (and there are A LOT of amazing European movies and series, really!). 
    I understand very well - indirectly forcing people to watch more "correct" content and supporting non-competitive production and artists, that's what it is....because amazing European movies and series would find a way to do market even without this law...
  • Reply 63 of 64
    Cmirda said:
    Cmirda said:
    It is nonsense after nonsense from EU!! If anybody does not like hollywood BS content, simply do not watch it! Why we need EU government to tell us what to watch on TV? I am from small EU country and have strong impression about incompetent people there in Bruxelles, who probably have never visited my country and do not know anything about what ordinary people want...
    You apparently don’t understand both the story and the proposed law.

The EU is not telling us what we want to watch. They’re telling streaming services (lots of them being American companies) not to be lazy and reselling American content, but also to invest money in original local (European) content. 

Before streaming services existed, local television stations were the main content distributors. So a large part was locally produced content.
    Now, with the rise of large streamers like Netflix, HBO and Amazon, we as European citizens are flooded with American content. Which is ok, but shouldn’t be the only choice; at least I don’t want to be ‘forced’ to watch that. 
    Furtunately Netflix is already doing a great job in producing local content. HBO and Amazon not so much, yet. 

So the proposed law is actually a good thing, giving Europeans more to choose from, and European actors a larger change of earning some money too. And eventually this will benefit the Americans too, because they’ll probably diversify their viewing habits with some more European content... (and there are A LOT of amazing European movies and series, really!). 
    I understand very well - indirectly forcing people to watch more "correct" content and supporting non-competitive production and artists, that's what it is....because amazing European movies and series would find a way to do market even without this law...
    No, they wouldn’t find their way to the market. Simply because people are not willing (or financially able) to subscribe to lots of streaming services, just to be able to watch local on demand content.
    Furthermore, I’m still free to NOT view local content and choose only non-European (or American even) content if I wanted to. So I really don’t see how I’m being ‘indirectly forced’ to watch local content.  

And lastly I wonder: what do you think the American government (read: Trump) would do, if 80% or 90% of streaming content in the US would be foreign? I have a gut feeling that he’d do the same, or at least impose 25% taxes on foreign content...
    (Wait... where did I read something like this before...?)
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 64 of 64
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Carnage said:

In Germany every household is already forced to pay 17€ a month to public media, whether you use it or not. What we get from it are mostly sub par shows and movies.

Just let the market decide!

No, what you get from it is an independently financed news and media network, with studios and correspondents all over the globe, and a bunch of non-mainstream programming that simply wouldn't get produced if it were entirely financed by market pressure (3sat, arte, ZDF neo, Deutschlandfunk Kultur, etc.). This is the famed fourth pillar of democracy, and it's our duty as citizens to enable it. The lame entertainment aspect is mostly a legacy of the days before 1987, when no private media stations existed here. 

If you let the market decide, you get RTL II, Pro7, and Bild Zeitung. Click-bait and Kardashians. 

No. Fucking. Way. 

(Sorry about the aside)
    Soli