Apple predicted to call 2018 flagship iPhone model 'iPhone Xs Max'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Apple's new 6.5-inch OLED iPhone expected on Sept. 12 may not get the regular "Plus" name according to marketing sources.

iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max

Apple is now believed to be using the name "iPhone Xs Max" for the largest of its three phones expected to launch on September 12. This replaces the familiar "Plus" moniker and will differentiate the 6.5 inch OLED display model from the 5.8 inch iPhone Xs launching at the same time.

Marketing sources claimed to be familiar with Apples plans told 9to5Mac that the name has been under consideration for some time, and is now the most likely to be used. The same sources also report that both of the OLED models, the iPhone X and iPhone Xs Max, will feature an A12 processor plus an increase in RAM from 3Gb to 4Gb -- which has been previously reported.

Apple's "Gather round" event is taking place at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Sept. 12. Expected at the event are Apple's new iPhone lineup, likely consisting of two models with OLED screens measuring 5.8 inches and the previously mentioned 6.5 inches, while a third is equipped with a 6.1-inch TFT LCD.

Most sources now claim that all three will have the TrueDepth camera array and use Face ID, but the LCD model will be singled out as a cost-effective model while the OLED versions will have more premium pricing and specifications.

In some markets around the world there will also be a dual SIM option for the iPhone Xs Max.

This information comes a week after Apple inadvertently leaked images of both the new OLED iPhones and the Series 4 Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Maximum Xs goes to 11.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Yuck.
    techprod1gyEric_WVGGirelandphilboogieCarnageredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 46
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Yargh. It's a pretty short slippery slope to "eXtreme Edition!" 
  • Reply 4 of 46
    I originally hated iPhone XS and this just makes it worse for me. Sounds like they hired some energy drink marketers to name it and commercials will be narrated by a monster truck announcer. iPhone Pro is sounding miles better at this point. To me anyway. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    rogifan_newmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Not a huge fan of this if true. Same could be said of many Apple naming conventions in the past. No I probably could not do any better. Yes I will still buy the new iPhone even if I don't like the name.
    Soliwatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 6 of 46
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    That's terrible  :o
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Not a huge fan of this if true. Same could be said of many Apple naming conventions in the past. No I probably could not do any better. Yes I will still buy the new iPhone even if I don't like the name.
    I wish they'd just call each model within the range the same thing each year, like we have for the Mac and had for the iPod.

I also wish they'd stop marketing the OS numbers for iOS, watchOS, and tvOS, and instead just use the same California location name for all the OSes coming out that year (e..g: iOS Mojave, watchOS Mojave, tvOS Mojave, and macOS Mojave). Since they keep adding features correlating features and release them all (effectively) at the same time, I think it could help get people to want the same OS naming convention for all their devices which could help with users seeking out OS upgrades as well as HW sales for devices that can't get the latest. 
    rogifan_newbigbillygoatgruffjcs2305JaiOh81williamhlolliverphilboogiebrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Didn’t Motorola used to make phones for Verizon with the Max naming convention. Like Droid Maxx or something. Just terrible name. But so is XS, which looks like extra small and sounds like excess or tennis depending on whether you pronounce it X or 10.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Barf.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Please, no. What a terrible name. I don’t see Apple going with an awful name like that.
    rcomeauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Doesn't look or sound attractive. It seems overloaded.

• Reply 12 of 46
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I’m looking forward to the iPhone XI Xtreme “Powered by Bionic”
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 13 of 46
    What's so wrong with...?

iPhone 9
    iPhone 10s
    iPhone 10s Plus

I long for the simpler days at Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Soli said:
    I wish they'd just call each model within the range the same thing each year, like we have for the Mac and had for the iPod.

I also wish they'd stop marketing the OS numbers for iOS, watchOS, and tvOS, and instead just use the same California location name for all the OSes coming out that year (e..g: iOS Mojave, watchOS Mojave, tvOS Mojave, and macOS Mojave). Since they keep adding features correlating features and release them all (effectively) at the same time, I think it could help get people to want the same OS naming convention for all their devices which could help with users seeking out OS upgrades as well as HW sales for devices that can't get the latest. 

And like they use iPad and iPad Pro.  The number shouldn't have to be a part of the branding.

I preferred the cats to the California locations.  If they go with macOS Tenderloin, I'm back in.

JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 46
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If it's called Max, I bet that's the phone that @AppleInsider 's Max Yuryev is getting  :D 
    edited September 2018 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Great so every time you ask Siri about this phone she’ll say I don’t know what iPhone tennis match is.
    macplusplusphilboogie
  • Reply 17 of 46
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Is this a joke? Hope so. I’ll believe it when I see it 12 September.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    More un-named sources. I’ll just pretend it’s BS until I find out it’s true. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    I remember when Apple switched to the MacBook and MacBookPro naming. People hated it.

Once they get rid of/update the MBAir and the 'Esc,' the product line will be very clear. MacBook and MacBookPro. Done and simple.

The iMac and iMacPro. Perfect.

Or the iPad naming. Now known as the iPad and the iPadPro. Very clean for the product line.

Similarly, with the naming of the OS' MacOS, iOS, AWOS, TVOS, etc.

They've got a lot going on with the iPhone line. But the future seems to be, One: iOS and Two: larger iPhones. (Sorry for all the SE lovers ,me included.)

For a good portion of the population the iPhone has replaced the desktop, laptop and now the iPad.

With an iPhone, AppleWatch, AirPods, PowerPad, AppleTV, iTunes and iCloud you don't need an iMac, laptop or even an iPad anymore.

Best. :)

P.S. I, personally have always gravitated to the consumer side of Apple's offerings. I.E, a MacBook vs. the Pro, iPad Mini vs. the Pro, iPhone SE vs. the X, iMac vs. the Pro, etc., etc.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    I'm not at all convinced.
    pscooter63