Apple predicted to call 2018 flagship iPhone model 'iPhone Xs Max'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    So if the iPhone X is pronounced 'ten' would they call this 'tens' or 'ten-ess', instead of 'excess'?
  • Reply 22 of 46
    zroger73 said:
    What's so wrong with...?

iPhone 9
    iPhone 10s
    iPhone 10s Plus

I long for the simpler days at Apple.
    Agree.  Given that the 6.1" LCD version will come in a variety of colors and will largely resemble the iPhone X, how about;

iPhone 10c (following the footsteps of the iPhone 5c)
    iPhone 10s
    iPhone 10s Plus
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Xs Max sucks.
    irelandJaiOh81SpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Xs Max doesn't seem like a name Apple would come up with. Guess we will find out next week. 
  • Reply 25 of 46
    And apparently the 6.1” model will be called Xr. Makes no sense unless Apple is punking us all. https://daringfireball.net/2018/09/iphone_xxx
  • Reply 26 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Hideous name.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not a huge fan of this if true. Same could be said of many Apple naming conventions in the past. No I probably could not do any better. Yes I will still buy the new iPhone even if I don't like the name.
    iPad was made fun of because of how it sounded. This is different. This is both difficult to say and difficult to remember. Neither problem iPod, iPhone or iPad suffered.

They should IMO just announce the 6.1” version as iPhone 9 and bring the two sizes of iPhone X in with that name and drop the rest of that crap:

“Today we’re updating iPhone X and here’s the new one ...and it’s larger sibling. And here’s our full display LCD model: iPhone 9”.

Done.

And long term they should release three sizes of iPhone: 5”, 6”, 6.5”, all OLED and simply call them all iPhone. And if needed call the big one plus or Max and call the small one mini, but drop all this other number, s, S, C, SE / Roman Numeral crap. Personally, we’re it me I’d simply call the three future OLED iPhones iPhone, irrespective of size. I’d drop everything else and Samsung wouldn’t know what to copy.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 28 of 46
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

So, not the XS IV? Or the iPhone INXS? (Missed a trick there, although since Hutchence died, I doubt they have the pull they once had. Some would argue since a long time before Hutchence died.)

"XS" or "Xs" is a bad name, and opens them to peurile jokes from their competitors about it costing too much (or in XS, get it?). They could have gone with "iPhone XI" or, maybe, just perhaps "iPhone". I get that a lot of phone marketing, from all manufacturers, is tied up in telling you the xPhone n+1 is an improvement on the xPhone n, but why can't Apple just go back to their roots, and shake things up a bit. Maybe go with iPhone and iPhone Pro (although the whole "Pro" nomenclature keeps getting them a lot of unwarranted criticism), but lose the version numbers.

Yeah, not going to happen, so we're going to keep going with some odd increments of iPhone numbers. And maybe XS will happen, and Samsung have already written the ad about it.

• Reply 29 of 46
    ireland said:
    Hideous name.
    And an extremely unlikely one.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Who predicted iPhone X correctly last year. 
  • Reply 31 of 46
    bigdawg73bigdawg73 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    But hey, let's not let that be a distraction that the apple bias media is completely ignoring yet another major recall of the iphone 8. Not a one is reporting it.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    ireland said:
    Hideous name.
    And an extremely unlikely one.

Maybe though Gurman tweeted Xs and Xs Max are legit but iPhone 9 isn’t.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I agree with the detractors.  I will only add that when they were announced, I really didn't like the names MacBook or iPod and probably others but they've grown on me.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Gosh, I hope not.
    If so, we should start taking bets on when Apple's jump-the-shark moment will occur.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    So from bottom to top the new lineup sounds like it will be iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, 9, X, XS, and XS Max (or do they cut out the iPhone X?)
  • Reply 36 of 46
    They could go with Max just because everyone is naming their phablets Plus now.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Looks like it could be a canary trap to me.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Why not Lewis, Sebastian, Daniel or Kimi? Honda releasing an orange NSX, and now this. Come on.
  • Reply 39 of 46

iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max

What's up with that bulge on the smaller iPhone?
    Soli
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I originally hated iPhone XS and this just makes it worse for me. Sounds like they hired some energy drink marketers to name it and commercials will be narrated by a monster truck announcer. iPhone Pro is sounding miles better at this point. To me anyway. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Sounds like the Android world in 2012: Motorola DROID RAZR HD MAX :)
    edited September 2018 cgWerks