Apple, Beats by Dre signs exclusive deal with NBA, team-branded headphones coming

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Beats has signed a deal with the National Basketball Association to make the Apple-owned company the official supplier of headphones and wireless speakers to the league -- with NBA team-branded headphones coming soon.

Beats by Dre will provide product to players and during marquee events like the NBA All-Star game, NBA Draft, international NBA games in China and Europe, WNBA All-Star, WNBA Draft, and USA Basketball men's and women's national team exhibition tours.

"Beats revolutionized the music industry and has become one of the most innovative and culturally influential brands in the world," said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. "Through our partnership, we have an exciting opportunity to merge sports, pop culture and technology to deliver unparalleled experiences and premium products to our fans."

Beats will also collaborate with and establish separate deals with NBA teams and launch a line of its audio products for fans around the world, including NBA team-branded headphones.

On May 28, 2014, Apple officially announced its intention to acquire Beats Electronics for on May 28, 2014 for $3 billion, with $400 million of it paid in Apple stock. The company continues as an independent entity, with the core of a digital music streaming service used to build Apple Music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Excellent!

Now where is my Mac Mini?
    Please just release the A Series for the Mac already!
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Compare this to the NFL who banned their workers from wearing them uncovered. hmmm
    Solilolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Oh, good, this is just what I needed!  Headphones that cost extra so that a licensing fee can go to the NBA.  I'm in!
    spice-boy
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bonobob said:
    Oh, good, this is just what I needed!  Headphones that cost extra so that a licensing fee can go to the NBA.  I'm in!
    You aren't required to purchase the NBA styled headphones, or any headphones at all.  That said, when Beats came out with colors for the World Cup teams they were a relative hit and I remember people being sorely disappointed when they were no longer available.
    ronnlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I still prefer the cachet of things you are not required to wear. Apple, more so than Nike vs Adidas, has differentiated quality. But sure, NBA is hip marketer, lots of highlight replays, so I get it, It's also a defensive measure. [Side note: Recently seeing Apple AirPods pop up on middle class African-American males in my city on US East Coast, e.g. within last two weeks on a Sanitation collector and a postal worker, both mobile jobs traveling around neighborhoods. Great advertisement for product need, and value.]
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bonobob said:
    You aren't required to purchase the NBA styled headphones, or any headphones at all.  
    Well, duh.  So glad you pointed that out to me.  And here I thought Dr. Dre was going to personally come over and force my to buy a pair.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bonobob said:
    bonobob said:
    You aren't required to purchase the NBA styled headphones, or any headphones at all.  
    Well, duh.  So glad you pointed that out to me.  And here I thought Dr. Dre was going to personally come over and force my to buy a pair.
    I’m not the one complaining about a licensing fee on a product I have no intention of purchasing. That’s just weird. Similarly, as I live in the US I don’t complain about VAT. 
    ronnStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    STOP BRANDING EVERyTHING. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bonobob said:
    bonobob said:
    So why did you make such a pointless bit of hand-wringing to start with? Don’t want them, don’t buy them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10

spice-boy said:
    STOP BRANDING EVERyTHING. 
    Why? If there are people in the market who wish to buy favorite team branded products, why shouldn’t they?
    watto_cobra