Incoming 2018 iPhone lineup tipped to cost the same as current models

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
The new iPhones arriving in the 2018 refresh should be priced comparatively with the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, according to one report, with the highest cost "iPhone Xs Max" potentially having the same base cost as the iPhone X at launch.

The lowest-priced 2018 iPhone is tipped to start from 799 euro ($929) when it ships, according to sources of Macerkopf, while the "iPhone Xs" and the "iPhone Xs Max" will be priced at 909 euro ($1,056) and 1,149 euro ($1,336) respectively.

It is noted that the alleged price for each of the three 2018 iPhones mirrors the pricing of the 2017 releases when looked at as a group, with the cheapest new iPhone at the same cost as the iPhone 8, and the most expensive supposedly the same as the current iPhone X price.

All of the reported prices for the incoming iPhones are said to be for their respective 64-gigabyte capacity models. The surcharge to upgrade to a 256-gigabyte model is thought to be the same as for the current generation, increasing the cost by 170 euro ($197) for each model.

While seemingly logical, the publication notes it is difficult to estimate the pricing Apple will use for the new models, noting that despite receiving accurate information from the sources in the past, it is not guaranteed to be correct.

Apple is currently expected to reveal three iPhones at its September 12 event, with two OLED models equipped with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch screens seemingly upgraded versions of the current iPhone X. A third model, equipped with a 6.1-inch TFT LCD, is thought to be the cheapest model of the three, complete with more restrained specifications compared to the other two premium models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    > The lowest-priced 2018 iPhone is tipped to start from 799 euro ($929) when it ships… with the cheapest new iPhone at the same cost as the iPhone 8

eh? The iPhone 8 is $700.

(remember when Ballmer thought $500 was high for iPhone 1?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    RobLWRobLW Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    > The lowest-priced 2018 iPhone is tipped to start from 799 euro ($929) when it ships… with the cheapest new iPhone at the same cost as the iPhone 8

You've misunderstood. The $ price is not quoting the US price, it's quoting the EU price which is then translated into US based on exchange rates.
    Soliwatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 3 of 22
    RobLW said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

You've misunderstood. The $ price is not quoting the US price, it's quoting the EU price which is then translated into US based on exchange rates.
    I think you've misunderstood. How does $700 = $929?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Also there was this comment from another site ( who also had the information first). "It’s not possible to directly convert currencies from the Euro prices, as they will include sales tax and Apple’s international pricing is never directly inline with US pricing either." Is this true? If so, needs to definitely be included in the article above.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I think starting prices will be more like:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

• Reply 6 of 22
    Looks like the Euro price includes VAT.

U.S. prices would be:

6.1 - $699
    Xs - $799
    Xs Plus - $999

Personally I think the Xs will be more like $849 since a $200 jump to the plus would be a bit much and out of line with previous releases.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    78Bandit said:
    Looks like the Euro price includes VAT.

U.S. prices would be:

6.1 - $699
    Xs - $799
    Xs Plus - $999

Personally I think the Xs will be more like $849 since a $200 jump to the plus would be a bit much and out of line with previous releases.
    6.1" replacing iPhone 8 with same 64GB storage for $700, iPhone XS $100 cheaper than current X for the same 64GB but starting at 256GB so $900 and current iphone X 64GB will drop to $800, iPhone XS Max under $1000 for 6GB but starts at 256GB so will be $1100-$1200. This time around Apple is trying to provide better tech but at slightly reduced price.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 8 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    thehecta said:
    RobLW said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

I think you've misunderstood. How does $700 = $929?
    🤦‍♂️
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 9 of 22

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

So Apple is going to drop the price of the X by $100? When have they reduced the price of the newest iPhone before? I don’t think the 6 was cheaper than the 5s it replaced.
  • Reply 10 of 22

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

So Apple is going to drop the price of the X by $100? When have they reduced the price of the newest iPhone before? I don’t think the 6 was cheaper than the 5s it replaced.
    You're comparing different sizes where costs clearly had to increase for their given level of quality. They have dropped device prices many times and I'd be willing to bet that Canukstorm is based that on Apple's history of dropping the price after expensive, new technologies have paid for themselves in terms of original R&D costs and a lowering of component costs.

The word is that the 5.8" iPhone will still start at $999, but if they the OLED and True Depth components they're using have dropped and they know they can produce enough units to serve a certain expected increase with the influx of new customers for that lower price point they would alter the price if it earned them more earned income for the model.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 11 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This Toyota official link( https://www.toyota.com/camry/ ) details 2019 Camry with CarPlay as standard feature. Detailed spec of all 2019 camry models listed.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 12 of 22
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I was hoping that there would be a significant price drop, since the local price for the X starts around A$1300. I'd like to see that come down a bit, but with this rumour, and the fact that our government is playing the most expensive game of musical chairs, resulting in the lowest exchange rate in years, means it's probably going to cost substantially more here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    anome said:
    I was hoping that there would be a significant price drop, since the local price for the X starts around A$1300. I'd like to see that come down a bit, but with this rumour, and the fact that our government is playing the most expensive game of musical chairs, resulting in the lowest exchange rate in years, means it's probably going to cost substantially more here.
    I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a price drop on the rumoured LCD model.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Soli said:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

You're comparing different sizes where costs clearly had to increase for their given level of quality. They have dropped iPhone prices many times and I'd be willing to bet that Canukstorm is based that on Apple's history of dropping the price after expensive, new technologies have paid for themselves in terms of original R&D costs and a lowering of component costs.

The word is that the 5.8" iPhone will still start at $999, but if they the OLED and True Depth components they're using have dropped and they know they can produce enough units to serve a certain expected increase with the influx of new customers for that lower price point they would alter the price if it earned them more earned income for the model.
    The 6S wasn’t cheaper than the 6. The 7 wasn’t cheaper than the 6S. And I believe the 8 actually increased in price. I’m not aware of any example where the flagship iPhone got cheaper (other than more storage for the same price). ASPs are higher than ever.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Soli said:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

You're comparing different sizes where costs clearly had to increase for their given level of quality. They have dropped iPhone prices many times and I'd be willing to bet that Canukstorm is based that on Apple's history of dropping the price after expensive, new technologies have paid for themselves in terms of original R&D costs and a lowering of component costs.

The 6S wasn’t cheaper than the 6. The 7 wasn’t cheaper than the 6S. And I believe the 8 actually increased in price. I’m not aware of any example where the flagship iPhone got cheaper (other than more storage for the same price). ASPs are higher than ever.
    Why would those devices be cheaper?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

Why would the Xs be cheaper than the X?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

Again, just as we've seen with other price bumps and drops when expensive new tech is introduced it's not unreasonable to think that the 5.8" iPhone for a given year could come down in price. Do you remember how the move to both IPS and Retina displays in the MacBook Pro with a new milled chassis caused a hefty hump in price which eventually dropped?

If costs come down and they can make enough devices they may be able to make more profit from the product line through additional unit sales by reducing the price because it opens it up a many more potential customers. What exactly is confusing about that?

The real question is why you think prices are set in stone once raised and will never go down despite you knowing full well that they have? 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I'll probably end up with the 6.1 inch one unless one of the models has Pencil support. If one of them has that I'll buy it price be damned. (Though who knows how much I'd actually want to draw on my iPhone.) While I'd love the camera system that's in the X I simply don't need it, I almost never take pictures with my iPhone. If I was running social media for an organization it'd be great, but I don't think I'll need that over the next two years. And OLED verses LCD isn't something I care about. The major benefit tends to be, "Hey it can go brighter than it already can which is insane because it can be blindingly bright already!" I really don't need a screen that's marginally nicer than my new MacBook Pro or my iPad. So long as the screen is an upgrade from the SE, I'll be happy. I think this might be the most ho hum I've been for an iPhone update in years. Mostly because I would have gladly just kept my iPhone SE if the battery wasn't starting to drain weirdly fast.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    ChidoroChidoro Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Eric_WVGG said:

That $500 was with a two year contract, not $500 outright. That was ridiculously expensive for the time.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

Again, just as we've seen with other price bumps and drops when expensive new tech is introduced it's not unreasonable to think that the 5.8" iPhone for a given year could come down in price. Do you remember how the move to both IPS and Retina displays in the MacBook Pro with a new milled chassis caused a hefty hump in price which eventually dropped?

If costs come down and they can make enough devices they may be able to make more profit from the product line through additional unit sales by reducing the price because it opens it up a many more potential customers. What exactly is confusing about that?

The real question is why you think prices are set in stone once raised and will never go down despite you knowing full well that they have? 
    Again, tell me when a new flagship iPhone launched at a cheaper price that it’s predecessor. The 6S wasn’t cheaper than the 6, the 7 wasn’t cheaper than the 6S and the 8 actually went up in price.