'iPhone 9,' 'iPhone Xs' and 'iPhone Xs Plus' pre-orders launched by Romanian carrier ahead...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Pre-orders for Apple's 2018 iPhones have already commenced for one Romania-based online store, seemingly offering potential customers the ability to acquire the "iPhone Xs," "iPhone Xs Max (plus)," and "iPhone 9" ahead of Apple's official unveiling of the new smartphones.

Online retailer Quick Mobile has listings for all three of Apple's expected smartphones on its store, going with the "Xs" suffix for the two OLED-based models and "iPhone 9" for the LCD-equipped version. For the larger of the OLED models, the store is hedging its bets with the "Max" name, by adding "Plus" to the listing title as well.

All of the models are shown in black and white options, though the rumored brightly-colored variants of the "iPhone 9" are not present on the site. The site is also seemingly matching current rumors for storage capacities, with the "Xs" models available in 64-gigabyte, 256-gigabyte, and 512-gigabyte variants, while the "iPhone 9" is only offered in 64-gigabyte and 256-gigabyte versions.

Notably, none of the store pages provide detailed information about any of the new iPhones, aside from their name, an image of the back of the device, and capacities.

It is plausible that retailers and carriers are provided details about upcoming releases, like the 2018 iPhones, some time in advance of Apple's announcement, in order to allow them time to produce marketing plans and to prepare product pages. If presented to the retailers and carriers ahead of launch, the companies usually agree to avoid any leaks of the product before the official launch.

It is unclear if the retailer's leaks stem from information provided by Apple, but it is also entirely plausible that the store has produced the pages under its own initiative, based on speculation and reports about the incoming iPhone refresh. The general lack of information, including features, functions, specifications, and other elements, may be a sign of the listings being created in this way.

Apple has scheduled its "Gather Round" 2018 iPhone event for September 12, held in the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park, the company's new headquarters. It is expected the event will feature two OLED iPhone models with 6.5-inch and 5.8-inch screens, along with a third 6.1-inch LCD-based model that could be available in a variety of colors.

Other items that could make an appearance include a new Apple Watch Series 4, as well as updated iPad Pro models.
albegarc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Every. Damn. Year!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I think they wasted their time jumping the gun. Why they couldn't just have placeholders ready to go, Hidden, waiting for real Info to fill in the pages and maybe launch it all shortly after Apple's press conference. Even then, are they going to get the new iPhones the same day as the U.S. or lunched there a little later? This kind of stuff to me just seems LAME and unprofessional.
    SnickersMagoowatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Misleading title, this is not a carrier. It is a simple e-store that sells overpriced items before they appear officially on the market.
    edited September 2018 WhiskeyAPPLEciderpscooter63kingofsomewherehotsdw2001irelandcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    adiaga said:
    Misleading title, this is not a carrier. It is a simple e-store that sells overpriced items before they appear officially on the market.
    Bingo!  It's the equivalent of putting up a listing for an item on eBay which will be shipped once it's released.  Latest trend in reseller scams.
    anton zuykovkingofsomewherehotcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    so...
    iPhone > 3G > 4 > 4S > 5 > 5S > 6 > 6S & SE > 7 > 8  & 10 > 9 & 10S.

Since the 8 & the 10/X had the same internals, are they really going to release an "iPhone 9" that's more powerful than the "iPhone 10"?!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    adm1 said:
    so...

Since the 8 & the 10/X had the same internals, are they really going to release an "iPhone 9" that's more powerful than the "iPhone 10"?!
    I think there will be 4 new phones

iPhone 9
    iPhone 9 plus
    iPhone XI 
    iPhone XI plus

cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Fake news.

This is just the rumor echo chamber amplifying itself.  

AppleInsider pretending like this is confirmation of anything is pathetic.
    grifmx
  • Reply 8 of 36
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Publicity stunt.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    All my X's live in TeXas......

The naming scheme on the iPhone is awful. Fix it Apple. Just use naming scheme across the board like iPhone &  iPhone Pro to mirror Macbook and Macbook Pro, iMac & iMac Pro, iPad and iPad Pro. 
    wonkothesanejbishop1039cornchipwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 36
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    adm1 said:
    so...

Possibly, but so what? Has nothing to do with how powerful it is. Marketing looks at things from a visual (external) POV. iPhone X was a fairly huge jump from the classic design of the iPhone 7. The iPhone 8 was mainly a change in materials, moving to a glass back. The iPhone 9 design will be more transitional. Something between the 8 and X; No Home button, but no notch either. Shorter bezels - just big enough for the top bezel to contain True Depth camera.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I am surprised by how many people call the iPhone X, the iPhone EX. Who can blame them. Maybe Apple will suddenly call it like that too and that's how they get to use the number 9.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    mjtomlin said:
    adm1 said:
    so...

Possibly, but so what? Has nothing to do with how powerful it is. Marketing looks at things from a visual (external) POV. iPhone X was a fairly huge jump from the classic design of the iPhone 7. The iPhone 8 was mainly a change in materials, moving to a glass back. The iPhone 9 design will be more transitional. Something between the 8 and X; No Home button, but no notch either. Shorter bezels - just big enough for the top bezel to contain True Depth camera.
    If that actually happens, that would be the best iPhone design imo.
    ronn[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 36
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    mjtomlin said:
    adm1 said:
    so...

Just visual? Really? Tell that to the megapixel and MHz marketers. I wish it wasn't the case but name seems to mean a lot to some people. If they pull out the brand new iPhone 9 and their friend pulls out a one year old iPhone X, they will not be a happy customer. Let's face it, half of the value in owning the latest iPhone is whipping it out and showing it off to everyone that you want to feel subhuman to you. That affect is ruined when the naming scheme puts an older phone above a newer phone. That is marketing 101.
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 14 of 36

k2kw said:
    adm1 said:
    so...

I think there will be 4 new phones

iPhone 9
    iPhone 9 plus
    iPhone XI 
    iPhone XI plus

I'm thinking (hoping) there will be 5...

iPhone 9
    iPhone 9 Plus
    iPhone 9 mini***

iPhone X (5.8", 2018)
    iPhone X (6.5", 2018)

Major differences between the models...
    1. SoC - Both will have an A12, but the X will use the new 7nm process, while the 9 will remain at 10nm.
    2. TrueDepth - X will use a 2nd gen. system, the 9 will use gen. 1.
    3. Display - LCD for the 9, OLED for the X
    4. Storage - X will offer up to 512GB, the 9 up to 256GB

***I still think Apple has decided to create a smaller flagship phone, which is why we haven't seen an update to the SE.

Then at some point next year, we'll see a new "classic" model that will replace all remaining Touch ID models; 2 sizes, A10, LCD, Touch ID.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    wigby said:
    mjtomlin said:
    adm1 said:
    so...

Just visual? Really? Tell that to the megapixel and MHz marketers. I wish it wasn't the case but name seems to mean a lot to some people. If they pull out the brand new iPhone 9 and their friend pulls out a one year old iPhone X, they will not be a happy customer. Let's face it, half of the value in owning the latest iPhone is whipping it out and showing it off to everyone that you want to feel subhuman to you. That affect is ruined when the naming scheme puts an older phone above a newer phone. That is marketing 101.

All I'm saying is that the design of the iPhone 9 will probably sit right between the design of the 8 and X. So when you look at them you'll clearly see a transition from old to new. Regardless of internals, the current X model will still look more advanced than the iPhone 9.

Before any context-unaware people start arguing... I am not making any declarations of fact - except for the fact that this is just an opinion.
    Cesar Battistini Mazierocornchipwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 36
    jbdragon said:
    I think they wasted their time jumping the gun. Why they couldn't just have placeholders ready to go, Hidden, waiting for real Info to fill in the pages and maybe launch it all shortly after Apple's press conference. Even then, are they going to get the new iPhones the same day as the U.S. or lunched there a little later? This kind of stuff to me just seems LAME and unprofessional.
    Apple should demolish them and drop support for the carrier.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    MarcUSAappleMarcUSAapple Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    If you do the math, you can figure out the USD pricing for the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max. iPhone Xs: $899/$1049/$1199 iPhone Xs Max: $999/$1149/$1299 64GB,256GB,512GB respectively. Although, for the 256GB iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max models, they're the same price on that Romanian website. That doesn't make sense. so I changed the 256GB iPhone Xs Max to the $150 premium over the 64GB models, in line with the other pricing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Going Max for sure. Where’s the gold option?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    MarcUSAappleMarcUSAapple Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    If you do the math, you can figure out the USD pricing for the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max. iPhone Xs: $899/$1049/$1199 iPhone Xs Max: $999/$1149/$1299 64GB,256GB,512GB respectively. Although, for the 256GB iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max models, they're the same price on that Romanian website. That doesn't make sense. so I changed the 256GB iPhone Xs Max to the $150 premium over the 64GB models, in line with the other pricing.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,334member
    It's kind of weird, but imho the excitement level around the Apple September Spectacle is starting to diminish a bit. It has almost gotten too predictable and formulaic. This Romanian company is obviously feeding on the predictability. While it's important for Apple and it's stakeholders to have a certain level of predictability when they have top shelf products with a steady customer demand, I can't get over the feeling that they really have to wow us this year - in a big way, not simply an incremental way. I have never gotten over the feeling that Apple only released the iPhone 8/8+ as a hedge because they were not convinced that the iPhone X would be ready in time. Releasing an iPhone 9 at this point in time would be reflexive. Just put all the chips on the X design phones. Unless of course the iPhone 9 is used to designate an SE replacement. But you can safely skip Number 9. Microsoft did. The Beatles did not.

C'mon Apple let's see some jaws drop, and I don't mean by executives in a PowerPoint/Keynote & tenth-meeting-of-the-day induced comas.

Finally, no more pre-announcing products that won't be available for months, or years. Show us what you've got now. The iMac Pro was a nice product to announce in a big way, but by the time it hit the store the excitement level was noticeably subdued. We won't talk about AirPower ... maybe not until the runways, hangers, or whatever is causing the AirPower release to move out past the horizon are dealt with. Is it FAA certification? Whatever. 
    watto_cobra