Google expected to announce Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL on Oct. 9

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Google on Thursday announced sent out invitations to a special press event scheduled for Oct. 9, where the company is widely expected to launch new "Made by Google" hardware including Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL smartphones.

Google Pixel 3 Event

Though the spartan invite -- an animated GIF image -- . offers no clues as to what Google intends to announce, a gush of Pixel
3 and Pixel 3 XL leaks
leading up to the October event leave little doubt as to what will be revealed.

The third-generation Pixel lineup is Google's latest attempt at the high-end smartphone market. Leaked hardware suggests this year's models will benefit from minor design tweaks, the most obvious being a front-facing camera notch reminiscent of the screen cutout Apple applied to iPhone X in order to accommodate its TrueDepth camera system.

After initially ridiculing the design decision, made in part as a concession building in an edge-to-edge display, Android smartphone makers began to include camera notches in their own products.

Other major design changes to the Pixel line include a glass back, so included to facilitate wireless charging. Apple integrated glass backings on its iPhone X and iPhone 8 series devices last year to do the same. Unlike iPhone, however, the upcoming Pixel devices feature a rear-mounted fingerprint reader for biometric security, technology Apple is due to abandon in favor of Face ID.

While unconfirmed, Google might also roll out a few surprises at its media event. Last year, the company introduced a slew of products, including Pixelbook and Google Home speakers, alongside its flagship Pixel 2 phones.

Google's October event is slated to take place in New York City at 8 a.m. Pacific, 11 a.m. Eastern. A livestream of the proceedings will be hosted by the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Made by Google, copied from Apple.
    RobPalmer9macseekerpeterhartjbdragonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I really don't understand how can people ridicule Apple's notch and the. proceed to copy and market it as their own? Isn't it like licking one's own secretion?
    jbdragonwatto_cobrarazorpitgilly33
  • Reply 3 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    kevin kee said:
    I really don't understand how can people ridicule Apple's notch and the. proceed to copy and market it as their own? Isn't it like licking one's own secretion?
    Especially when they still have bezels.
    jbdragonwatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    And nobody cares! Well...maybe 3 or 4 people at most! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    "flagship"
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    anome said:
    kevin kee said:
    So it’s more like licking your own bezels then. 
    watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 7 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Rayz2016 said:
    anome said:
    kevin kee said:
    So it’s more like licking your own bezels then. 
    No, if they were licking their bezels, that would make sense. That's why it's so unbelievable that they go out of their way to lick their own secretions, when they have perfectly good bezels right there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    are phones supposed to look the same with only the software to be able to tell them apart? because this phone looks way to much like a phone i have by apple.

it is funny how people bash apple for saying they tell you what you want, and then we see the copycats in action.
    watto_cobragilly33
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I'm impressed they have kept the same name for 3 generations.
    watto_cobratmayrazorpitgilly33
  • Reply 10 of 13
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    At some point I hope Apple will compete with how the Pixel camera handles dynamic range in photos. It just has to be the best stills camera on a phone right now? Particularly for scenes with a lot of dynamic range. I've seen so many brightly blown out faces on pictures taken by iPhones due to its modest dynamic range/ or the lack of a strategy (or expertise?) on how to handle dynamic range. Perhaps if iPhones were to shoot RAW, the sensor could actually possibly handle the dynamic range? I can only assume that the Pixel 3 will sport an even better camera, and once again crush it in the stills photo game.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I could make touch bar screansaver with color showing procesor heat :-) Or it could be animation from calm water to fire....
    revenant said:
    are phones supposed to look the same with only the software to be able to tell them apart? because this phone looks way to much like a phone i have by apple.

it is funny how people bash apple for saying they tell you what you want, and then we see the copycats in action.
    It seems that even Apple took the lesson and tried to protect Watch look more. At least that no serious company is copying them. Not talking about 30 USD chinese knocks off.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    This will probably be a good camera phone with subpar display and build quality.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I am yet to see a Pixel in the wild. I have owned two Nexus phones and saw a few of them, but have yet to meet anyone with a Pixel in the UK.