Apple exec Eddy Cue 'overextended,' falling asleep in meetings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Thread jack:

Years ago I was working for a federal agency. In the middle of a meeting, held in a interior government conference room (no windows, doors open to small closed corridors) a mid-level manager fell asleep in a very, very boring meeting (as all were.) The meeting is droning on, and I see him nod off, snore loudly, and then wake violently. He tosses his head back, and the back of his head hits the light switch, plunging the meeting room into total darkness. Alarmed at hitting his head, and now can't see, he yells with the horror one can completely relate to: "OH GOD! I'M BLIND!"

Hilarity ensued.

We now return you to more discussion of boring ass meetings. 

dysamoriatmaySpamSandwichking editor the gratecornchippatchythepiratewelshdogstompyfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Word duplication editing typo: "While people at the meetings have been sometimes been unsure..."
  • Reply 23 of 39
    eightzero said:
    Thread jack:

Years ago I was working for a federal agency. In the middle of a meeting, held in a interior government conference room (no windows, doors open to small closed corridors) a mid-level manager fell asleep in a very, very boring meeting (as all were.) The meeting is droning on, and I see him nod off, snore loudly, and then wake violently. He tosses his head back, and the back of his head hits the light switch, plunging the meeting room into total darkness. Alarmed at hitting his head, and now can't see, he yells with the horror one can completely relate to: "OH GOD! I'M BLIND!"

Hilarity ensued.

We now return you to more discussion of boring ass meetings. 

That's corporate life in a nutshell.
    cornchipeightzero
  • Reply 24 of 39
    I am a Doctor and have decades of experience with this. Eddy has moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnoea till proven otherwise. Any other discussion is futile. 
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    This looks sort of like an effort to get Cue fired. I support that effort because to me he seems like dead weight.
    My post on another site.

"You can’t have it both ways. Cook is a genius, the best person for the job and his lieutenants are not up to the job.

In my estimation, Cook does not suffer incompetence in the slightest (Scott Forestall and John Browett come to mind). Just because we, as outsiders, can’t see what Cue is doing doesn’t translate to incompetence.

Eddy Cue, the leader of the company’s sprawling internet initiatives—from its music and video businesses to its maps service.

That Services is growing at an extended (4) year 30+% average compound rate is all I need to know about his effectiveness."

Excellent point!

I would note that there are a number of pulmonary conditions, sleep apnea being well known, that have prominent symptoms that Eddie is showing in these meetings. 

Sleep apnea!? C'mon Tmay, I'm all for having a balanced discussion, but I don't think remote-diagnosing of sleep apnea is a realistic factor, particularly since there are several treatments.. tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy, CPAP, modafinil, armodafinil..

As for the growth in services, I don't see that as being much of a factor since it's likely that the vast majority of that revenue piggybacked on the success of the App Store and the sale of iOS devices.

So, assuming he's "just bored" and that he hasn't sleep issues is balance? 

It's quite common especially for senior males to have sleep disorders, so why wouldn't I bring that up for discussion?
    I didn’t say he’s just bored (I wasn’t there), or that what I said constitutes balance (just that remote-diagnosing sleep apnea does not constitute balance). With those two straw men out of the way.. even assuming you can diagnose sleep apnea, it doesn’t account for the many sleep apnea treatments out there. Any way you look at it, there’s a clear pattern of missed opportunities and mishaps in the services division. And that’s something that needs to be addressed. 
  • Reply 26 of 39

The executive oversees Apple Music, iTunes, Apple Maps, Apple Pay, iCloud, and much more, even the high-budget TV shows slated for 2019
    Apple Music: So far, an also-ran
    iTunes: Overextended bloat
    Apple Maps: Finally getting its s*** together
    ApplePay: Fabulous technology, but underachiever
    iCloud: Silly mess that should be outsourced; serious underachiever
    TV shows: Good luck
    Much, much more: Groan....
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 39
    drkosta said:
    I am a Doctor and have decades of experience with this. Eddy has moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnoea till proven otherwise. Any other discussion is futile. 
    I’m a doctor as well. But it doesn’t take a doctor to know that the description in the report is nowhere near enough information to diagnose sleep apnea. There’s dozens of potential reasons for nodding off. 

And I don’t know why everyone is fixated on the nodding off anyway. That’s the least important aspect of the story.

The services division has had continual issues, including squandering a head and shoulders lead over the rest of the industry in voice. 

I’m not sure what the problem is. But I am sure that there is a clear pattern. And I hope Apple does something about it soon. It’s very frustrating both as a consumer and an Apple fan. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 28 of 39
    This looks sort of like an effort to get Cue fired. I support that effort because to me he seems like dead weight.
    My post on another site.

"You can’t have it both ways. Cook is a genius, the best person for the job and his lieutenants are not up to the job.

In my estimation, Cook does not suffer incompetence in the slightest (Scott Forestall and John Browett come to mind). Just because we, as outsiders, can’t see what Cue is doing doesn’t translate to incompetence.

Eddy Cue, the leader of the company’s sprawling internet initiatives—from its music and video businesses to its maps service.

That Services is growing at an extended (4) year 30+% average compound rate is all I need to know about his effectiveness."

Most of that is due to Apple’s cut of App Store purchases which Eddy is not responsible for.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 29 of 39
    drkosta said:
    I’m a doctor as well. But it doesn’t take a doctor to know that the description in the report is nowhere near enough information to diagnose sleep apnea. There’s dozens of potential reasons for nodding off. 

And I don’t know why everyone is fixated on the nodding off anyway. That’s the least important aspect of the story.

The services division has had continual issues, including squandering a head and shoulders lead over the rest of the industry in voice. 

I’m not sure what the problem is. But I am sure that there is a clear pattern. And I hope Apple does something about it soon. It’s very frustrating both as a consumer and an Apple fan. 
    Thankfully Eddy no longer oversees Siri. Now if all the other non-contents software/tech could be moved under someone else...
  • Reply 30 of 39
    I get that sense that Eddy is really good at negotiating and getting people on his side. I think if he's got a vision for something he's probably really good at gathering a team of people to work around him and accomplish things. My guess is he's probably bad at saying no to Tim when it comes to being asked to head something up. Either that or he thinks he should be in charge of things when he shouldn't and is good at getting people to trust him with them. From everything I've heard his big achievements have mostly been related to content negotiations. So why not just have him in charge of that stuff? What do you need to negotiate to make iCloud work? A good deal for Google to host your back end? Meh. I wouldn't be surprised if they just have a pool of other managers who really are running their divisions who just report to Eddy when they need to.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 31 of 39
    drkosta said:
    SpamSandwich
    iur.gif 49.2K
  • Reply 32 of 39

The executive oversees Apple Music, iTunes, Apple Maps, Apple Pay, iCloud, and much more, even the high-budget TV shows slated for 2019

I think you're being a little too harsh.

• Reply 33 of 39

Fair enough. Upon reflection, I’d like to change this:

Apple Maps: Finally getting its s*** together A solid, reliable product. Haven’t used Google Maps in over a year (anywhere I’ve travelled in the world)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 34 of 39
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Apple Music is now reported to be the number 1 service in US, the most valuable market.  So I would certainly say better than an also-ran.

ApplePay is awesome, both in tech, implementation, and in getting financial services companies onside (would have been impossible to do something similar by any other company).  
      - The US market is not as good due to merchant adoption of NFC terminals, but that is hardly Apple's fault.  
      - The only criticism I have is that they are not promoting it as much as they could in international markets where the NFC POS terminals exist.
      - I use AP about 5-10 times each day as NFC is well supported in Canada, and it is very convenient with Apple Watch

As for TV Shows, the jury is still out for a few years.  Definitely I don't have high hopes here.  I understand the need to be "at the content table", which can enable better deals for content services, but really Apple could build a very good service out of their iTunes content relationships.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I agree with Rogifan's assessment. Eddy has proven his worth to the company over and over again, and nobody but nobody on the exec team isn't an a-player. I would say he's got too much on his plate, though, and it wouldn't hurt Apple to find and hire some new a-players to expand its horizons more effectively. It's also a good opportunity to diversify the team a bit ... Cue is the one and only Hispanic on the exec team, for example, and the top tier there could use some more aces that may or may not be middle-aged white guys.
  • Reply 36 of 39

Fair enough. Upon reflection, I’d like to change this:

Apple Maps: Finally getting its s*** together A solid, reliable product. Haven’t used Google Maps in over a year (anywhere I’ve travelled in the world)

I think you're being a little too facetious!
  • Reply 37 of 39
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Siri is definitely in need of an overhaul. 
    It’s becoming embarrassing. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    lwio said:
    Siri is definitely in need of an overhaul. 
    It’s becoming embarrassing. 
    She fell asleep 5 years ago and hasn't woken up.