Apple hires former Conde Nast executive to bolster Apple News business

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Apple recently hired Liz Schimel, a media veteran who previously served as president of Conde Nast China, as part of a continued push into the news business headed by its flagship Apple News product.

Apple News

Schimel is tasked with managing Apple's news service under Peter Stern, the former Time Warner Cable executive who leads the company's subscription-based products, reports The Information. Stern was recently promoted

According to her LinkedIn profile, Schimel took on the role of "head of news business" at Apple in July, working out of New York. The publication believes her hiring suggests the iPhone maker is placing increased emphasis on generating advertising revenue through the News app.

Just prior to joining Apple, Schimel was named entrepreneur-in-residence (EIR) at Comcast Ventures in January. The executive has ample experience in the magazine business, having worked as president of Conde Nast China for five years and chief digital officer of Meredith Corporation. She also held VP roles at Nokia and AT&T, and served as SVP of Entertainment at Comcast from 2005 to 2008.

Launched in 2015, Apple News is a first-party news aggregator Apple offers on its iOS platform. Similar to other Apple services, like Apple Music, News benefits from human curation, carried out by an editorial team that reportedly fields story pitches through Slack.

Initially a minor player in driving traffic to major publications, News has quickly grown its user base and now commands a significant role in the online media market. An in-depth look at the service from The Information, published earlier this year, estimates Apple News can in some cases account for between 50 percent and 60 percent of traffic for certain publications.

While Apple News leverages Apple's massive iOS device user base to drive traffic, and in some cases new subscribers, the service has yet to generate "meaningful" advertising revenue for publishers, the report said. That could change under Schimel's guidance and Apple's rumored launch of a subscription news service on the back of its acquisition of Texture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    And the next thing I knew, I was getting a new political newsletter in my email. 

No thanks. I can read for myself thanks. Don’t need someone’s idea of what I should be reading shoved at me. 
    SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 17
    And the next thing I knew, I was getting a new political newsletter in my email. 

No thanks. I can read for myself thanks. Don’t need someone’s idea of what I should be reading shoved at me. 

Exactly how are they shoving anything at you? if you were to choose to use the as a news aggregator, you control where the feeds come from. The article says just about nothing the you infer is in there. You claim you can read for yourself. After reading the article and then your comment, that claim rings hollow.
    roundaboutnowtmaywatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 17

Just liking whatever on Fox News and you’ll get only political news you like in no time. Also check Restrict Stories in For You and unsubscribe to Apple News weekly mail. Problem solved. 
    watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Every time Apple enters a market, they end up dominating it. And then they curate the hell out of it.

Finally the news will be suitable for families and children. It's about time!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    tommikele said:

Exactly how are they shoving anything at you? if you were to choose to use the as a news aggregator, you control where the feeds come from. The article says just about nothing the you infer is in there. You claim you can read for yourself. After reading the article and then your comment, that claim rings hollow.
    tommikele said:

What are you talking about

this doesn’t have anything to do with preferences chosen in the news app. This is apples own curated newsletter. None of it reflects what my choices were. 

Try again or or at least inform yourself first. 
    edited September 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Tried Apple’s News app once and immediately quit using it. I really don’t want Apple curating any kind of news for me. Wherever people are involved in the curation process, there will be bias.
    anantksundarampatchythepiratecanukstorm
  • Reply 7 of 17
    matrix077 said:

Just liking whatever on Fox News and you’ll get only political news you like in no time. Also check Restrict Stories in For You and unsubscribe to Apple News weekly mail. Problem solved. 
    So your advocating a one sided story from Fox... great. Another person who thinks their side is the only side. 

News is good. But it must be balanced and neutral Not a slanted toward particular ideology. So much “news” today is anything but. Opinion editorials have replaced the real stuff. 
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 17
    matrix077 said:

So your advocating a one sided story from Fox... great. Another person who thinks their side is the only side. 

News is good. But it must be balanced and neutral Not a slanted toward particular ideology. So much “news” today is anything but. Opinion editorials have replaced the real stuff. 
    You can like anything you want. If you like one side your app will show one side. If you like both sides your app will show both sides. If you like only editorial, in time it will show only that, or the majority of it will be that. 
    News works the way you want it to work but you have to tell it what kind of news you like to read. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Come on Apple - Bring AppleNews to NZ and save me from the NZ Herald website!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    So I wonder will Apple get into original news reporting or will they continue to just be a news aggregator? News app is OK though for some topics I follow it doesn’t have a lot of source so most of the stories I get are from the same source.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    matrix077 said:

Care to mention a "neutral" news source these days. They all appear to have chosen sides now.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 12 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    tommikele said:

I can't tell you the number of times I had to unsubscribe/unlike (or whatever it's called) from CNN and MSNBC all because I liked a story they had and then was promptly bombarded every 10 minutes with a story of "look what Trump just did".
    SpamSandwichanantksundarampatchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 17
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    lkrupp said:
    matrix077 said:

Care to mention a "neutral" news source these days. They all appear to have chosen sides now.
    Reuters. AP. NPR. BBC.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Funny, I just deleted Apple News a few hours ago. The trending articles are all by HuffPost, CNN and Bloomberg. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 17
    While we're on the subject of Apple News, why is there still no dedicated app on iOS to produce content that publishes to your channel? Or Mac app, for that matter. Why is there no scheduling option, rather than just leaving everyhing as a draft?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    lovemn said:
    Funny, I just deleted Apple News a few hours ago. The trending articles are all by HuffPost, CNN and Bloomberg. 
    You know, you could fine tune that so that it just shows Fox and Der Stürmer, rather than having a little temper tantrum.

Let me guess, you also took scissors to your shorts to angrily cut off the Nike logo and felt supremely satisfied at this act...of ruining your own clothes.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 17 of 17
    lovemn said:
    Personally, I don’t consider any of those valid sources of news.